• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Severe weather thread number ...I think XI ?

OSUmetstud

I live less than a mile north of that tornado's path on the Wolfeboro/Ossipee town line. On Google Maps, look at Center Ossipee and note Granite Rd crossing Rt 16 just north of the huge gravel/sand pits run by Ossipee Aggregates (just east of Rt 16). Look just north of the pits and you can see a wide swath of cleared trees that cross Rt 16 and then crosses Granite Rd and continues towards Effingham, NH.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's such a weird looking storm. Usually even in reflectivity.....you know something is there. However in that case...not a freakin' clue it's tornadic until you look at velocity.

Totally.

The couplet isn't even in a weak echo region, in fact it's in a local reflectivity maxima. The beam isn't even that high off the ground there. Hard to say without seeing a loop, but that snapshot would certainly not suggest such a long lived storm. Very interesting case.

If you loop it it looks better. Pseudo bow echo on the northern end of that line.

Formed right along a burst of higher theta-e air (dews low 70s PSM) with locally backed winds in the presence of very strong speed shear (long hodographs) with 50 knot LLJ.

Shows that though many high shear/low CAPE environments don't produce... once in a while they can... and the result can be extremely impressive.

Definitely has the look of the so called broken S reflectivity structure that is associated with tornadoes. I really wish dual-pol had been around up here for that storm. I think it would have been a lot more obvious where the tornado was on the ground and doing damage via a TDS.

I obviously wasn't at GYX at the time, but from my own experience I believe you are right to focus on that higher theta-e stuff. Even when you head well west of here and are forecasting tornadoes I like the theta-e gradient even if it is not the true warm front. The moisture gradient can perform just as well if not better than the temperature gradient. If you use dews as a proxy, there is definitely a SSW-NNE gradient that the storm traveled down on July 24.

Definitely has the look of the so called broken S reflectivity structure that is associated with tornadoes. I really wish dual-pol had been around up here for that storm. I think it would have been a lot more obvious where the tornado was on the ground and doing damage via a TDS.

I obviously wasn't at GYX at the time, but from my own experience I believe you are right to focus on that higher theta-e stuff. Even when you head well west of here and are forecasting tornadoes I like the theta-e gradient even if it is not the true warm front. The moisture gradient can perform just as well if not better than the temperature gradient. If you use dews as a proxy, there is definitely a SSW-NNE gradient that the storm traveled down on July 24.

Definitely a really interesting case and certainly something I wouldn't expect to be on the ground for 52 miles lol.

I agree with you that dual pol would have really helped in this case.

NOUS41 KBOX 202044

PNSBOX

RIZ006-210045-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

444 PM EDT MON AUG 20 2012

...TORNADO CONFIRMED ON BLOCK ISLAND IN WASHINGTON COUNTY

RHODE ISLAND ON AUGUST 10 2012...

LOCATION...NEW SHOREHAM IN WASHINGTON COUNTY

DATE...AUGUST 10 2012

ESTIMATED TIME...354 PM - 400 PM EDT

MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...70 MPH

MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...20 YARDS

PATH LENGTH...4 MILES

BEGINNING LAT/LON...41.15N / 71.57W

ENDING LAT/LON...41.20N / 71.56W

* FATALITIES...0

* INJURIES...0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO

CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN

NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON MA HAS CONFIRMED A

TORNADO ON BLOCK ISLAND IN WASHINGTON COUNTY RHODE ISLAND FROM

BACK ON AUGUST 10 2012.

NOTABLY...THIS IS THE FIRST RECORDED TOUCHDOWN OF A TORNADO ON THE

RECORD BOOKS FOR BLOCK ISLAND.

A TORNADIC WATERSPOUT OVER THE WATERS SOUTH OF BLOCK ISLAND MOVED

NORTHWARD ONTO LAND AS A TORNADO OVER THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE

ISLAND AROUND 354 PM. ON LAKESIDE DRIVE THERE WERE A COUPLE OF

FELLED TREES. DECK FURNITURE WAS THROWN 100 YARDS AWAY. SCREENS

WERE BLOWN OFF A HOUSE. DAMAGE TO AN ANEMOMETER OCCURRED AT A HOME

ON SAND`S POND ROAD. THERE WAS ALSO A REPORT OF 50 TREES BLOWN

DOWN ON A FARM. LAWN DAMAGE WAS REPORTED ON CHAPEL STREET IN NEW

SHOREHAM ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE ISLAND. AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS

REPORTED SEVERAL TREES DOWN IN NEW SHOREHAM AS WELL.

FARTHER TO THE NORTHEAST THERE WERE EYEWITNESS REPORTS OF A

ROTATING COLUMN THAT MOVED STEADILY ACROSS A NARROW REGION JUST TO

THE WEST OF JERRYS POINT. THERE WAS REPORTEDLY A PATH OF FLATTENED

BRUSH AT LEAST 50 FEET WIDE THERE. RADAR INDICATED THAT THE STORM

EXITED THE NORTHEAST PART OF BLOCK ISLAND AT 400 PM.

WE WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE BLOCK ISLAND TIMES FOR PROVIDING MANY

OF THESE DETAILS IN AN ARTICLE ON AUGUST 17.

THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE AT

WEATHER.GOV/BOX.

FOR REFERENCE...THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES

INTO THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:

EF0...WIND SPEEDS 65 TO 85 MPH.

EF1...WIND SPEEDS 86 TO 110 MPH.

EF2...WIND SPEEDS 111 TO 135 MPH.

EF3...WIND SPEEDS 136 TO 165 MPH.

EF4...WIND SPEEDS 166 TO 200 MPH.

EF5...WIND SPEEDS GREATER THAN 200 MPH.

$$

FIELD

I see. Good explanation, and reminds me... I forgot the tropical airmass and low level vorticity 8/10/12...

Add the likely KBID waterspout (though not sure that was confirmed):

We've had at least 3 waterspout events this season:

- 8/15/12: Quonset Point, RI

- 8/10/12: off Block Island, RI (not yet confirmed)

- 7/24/12: 3 total off of Plymouth, MA

You're all set now!!! (see Ryan's message above) Just saw the PNS when returning to work on the mid this morning.

--Turtle

What an amazing last few years of SNE weather events.

Meh... seems about typical wrt # of tornadoes in an average year. Mass averages about 3 per year. RI maybe 1?

There is a table somewhere. I guess for BI to get one it is pretty rare (small island). I did see a waterspout almost form there one in the 1980s (did not quite hit the water). Our boat was faster...lol

And no one in my family saw the one off Quonset last week, despite having a clear view of Quonset from their houses (but it was raining pretty hard)

Meh... seems about typical wrt # of tornadoes in an average year. Mass averages about 3 per year. RI maybe 1?

There is a table somewhere. I guess for BI to get one it is pretty rare (small island). I did see a waterspout almost form there one in the 1980s (did not quite hit the water). Our boat was faster...lol

And no one in my family saw the one off Quonset last week, despite having a clear view of Quonset from their houses (but it was raining pretty hard)

Yeah if you're going to get a tornado in BID this was the setup for it. I bet they average about the same number of tornadoes per square mile historically as most of the south shore of Long Island.

Friday could be a tad interesting across portions if northern and central New England. There are limiting factors which will prevent widespread activity but any storms that develop would have the potential to produce some large hail and damaging winds...large hail threat would be enhanced with any supercells.

Friday could be a tad interesting across portions if northern and central New England. There are limiting factors which will prevent widespread activity but any storms that develop would have the potential to produce some large hail and damaging winds...large hail threat would be enhanced with any supercells.

this

day2otlk_1730.gif

Archived