• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

Hey everyone! My name is James Sinko the Vice President of Lyndon State College's Chapter of the American Meteorological Society and National Weather Association. I am happy to announce that we are in the early planning stages of the 38th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference (NESC) which will be held March 8-10, 2013 in Rutland Vermont. This post will be constantly updated with new information on the conference as we release it.

To follow our updates check here or the following

Our Website

http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/ams

Twitter

www.twitter.com/LSCAMSNWA

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via email

[email protected]

~James Sinko

Vice President

Lyndon State AMS/NWA

Kewl, Jim!

Don't think I can outdo my appearance at this past NESC (hehe), but will consider attending and, if I have something interesting to present, I will try to.

Will also let our office SOO know about call for papers comes out.

Thanks for the announcement, and will keep an eye on this topic.

--Turtle (EVT LSC Class of '82)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Just checking in with folks. We are getting set on the 3 Main speakers for the Conference.

Friday Night "Ice Breaker"

Saturday Night "Banquet Speaker"

Sunday Morning Speaker

As soon as we are set with these speakers we will announce them to the public. Also we will begin the process of planning this conference and of course what everyone wants to know is prices & stuff. Many updates to come as we are the 38th Team to plan the Largest Annual Student Run Conference in the Nation. We will keep you updated!

Any Questions, Comments or Suggestions please email us at [email protected]

Hey Everyone....The President and myself are curious. How many on here attended the conference last year in Rutland Vermont and liked it? How many are planning on attending the 38th Conference in 2013? We have some great stuff in line and hope to get things out to the public very soon.

Thanks!

James

Hey Everyone....The President and myself are curious. How many on here attended the conference last year in Rutland Vermont and liked it? How many are planning on attending the 38th Conference in 2013? We have some great stuff in line and hope to get things out to the public very soon.

Thanks!

James

(ahem) Yeah, I was there, and the hub went too (it was his birthday over that weekend). We both enjoyed the show.

AFAIK, I can make it, but things can change between now and then, so we'll see. I'm looking forward to seeing the special speakers you're having in '13.

--Turtle

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! We really enjoyed having you last year and you brought to house down with an amazing presentation as the banquet speaker. We still cannot thank you enough for helping us out with that. I remember the June 1st day so much since it was my 21st birthday and instead of drink cold drinks I was out chasing. I still remember having a crew of like many chasers moving in on that storm. Unfortuntely I couldn't get to the storm (could see it) but thanks to Massachuettus traffic I got hung up just on the south side of Worcester. Anyways, we will be posting soon about who we have for the 3 main speakers and once that is complete then we will get everything else together. Lyndon State represent! haha Thanks Turtle!

~James

• 4 weeks later...

The Lyndon State College AMS&NWA Excutive Board is happy to announce the 3 main speakers for the 38th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference in Rutland Vermont. March 8-10, 2013.

Friday Night "Ice Breaker": Stephen Bennett, J.D.

"Stephen (Steve) Bennett, J.D. is a founding partner and Chief Science and Products Officer for EarthRisk Technologies. Steve's leadership role includes directing EarthRisk's product pipeline as well as providing strategic guidance for the company’s research portfolio. He also manages the EarthRisk development team and is the company liaison with university researchers around the world. EarthRisk provides software as a solution for analysts who link weather to business decisions. EarthRisk's research goes into the proverbial “black hole” for predicting weather more than one week in advance. We pioneer "big data" for weather analysis by leveraging the power of cloud computing to perform millions of statistical calculations each day. EarthRisk's products link past weather events to future forecast outcomes in real time. We provide data-driven probabilistic forecasts for extreme temperature events up to 40-days ahead. Prior to founding EarthRisk, Steve spent three years at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego where he forged relationships linking earth systems research to energy, insurance, and financial firms. Steve has been a meteorologist since 1995, forecasting the weather and applying weather research for financial investing and media applications. He served six years at Citadel Investment Group, a hedge fund in Chicago, where he was part of the team that built and launched Citadel's Global Energy Trading business. Steve also spent nearly two years at the Enron Corporation in the research division supporting natural gas trading. The first half of his career spanned a variety of consulting companies and media outlets including The Weather Channel, WeatherData Inc. and Weather Services Corporation. Steve completed his undergraduate meteorology degree in 1995 from the University of South Alabama and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the John Marshall Law School in 2008. He is currently the chairman of the American Meteorological Society's Energy Committee on the AMS Board for Enterprise and Economic Development and Commission for the Weather and Climate Enterprise."

Saturday Night Banquet Speaker: Dr. Lesley-Ann Dupigny-Giroux

An applied climatologist by training, Dr. Dupigny-Giroux's research interests intersect a number of interdisciplinary fields including hydroclimatic natural hazards and climate literacy as well as the use of remote sensing and GIS (Geographic Information Systems) in the fields of spatial climate and land-surface processes. In terms of hazards, she has examined the spectre of drought in both semiarid environments in northeast Brazil, as well as humid continental ones like northeastern North America. Earlier work in the Journal of the American Water Resources Association outlines the climatic underpinnings of drought in Vermont and shall be used as part of a national effort to develop a North American-wide definition of drought. Her recently published work includes guest editing a special issue of the journal Physical Geography, devoted to the theme of climate literacy. Other publications (e.g. Remote Sensing of Environment) delve into the use of multiangular imaging to examine drought stress in New England wetlands. Finally, Dr. Dupigny-Giroux is the lead editor of Historical climate variability and impacts in North America, the first monograph of its kind to deal with the use of documentary and other ancillary records in the analysis of climate variability and change. Dr. Dupigny-Giroux is also the State Climatologist for Vermont, a role which has allowed her to facilitate dialogue among meteorology, climatology, emergency management, agriculture, forestry and GIS users across the state. She continues to work closely with colleagues at these and other state agencies to better quantify the causal dynamic and impacts of floods, droughts and severe weather on Vermont’s physical landscape. Dr. Dupigny-Giroux teaches introductory courses in physical geography and geotechniques. Her intermediate and advanced level courses include topics on Climatology, Remote Sensing, Advanced GIS Applications, and Satellite Climatology and Land-Surfaces Processes. She holds a B.S. in Physical Geography and Development Studies from the University of Toronto (1989), an M.S.(1992) in Climatology and Hydrology and a Ph.D. (1996) in Climatology and Geographic Information Systems from McGill University."

Sunday Morning Speaker: Meteorologist Kevin Skarupa

"Meteorologist, Kevin Skarupa, can be seen weekdays from 5 to 7 a.m. on News 9 Daybreak with Erin Fehlau and Sean McDonald, then on News 9 at Noon. Kevin earned a meteorology degree from Lyndon State College in Vermont and currently holds both the AMS Television Seal of Approval and the Certified Broadcast Meteorologist seal. Kevin has also worked for KIMT in Mason City, Iowa; WPBF in West Palm Beach, Fla.; and WKRN in Nashville. If he looks familiar, it’s because Kevin worked at WMUR back in 1998 doing weekend weather under the name "Kevin Joseph." His favorite part of the job is visiting dozens of schools a year and talking with students about weather. The toughest part is the alarm clock, which goes off around 1 a.m. Kevin enjoys playing golf, running and watching sports. He and his wife Melissa (a Merrimack native) have a son, Levi, and miniature beagle, Shilo."

Northeastern Storm Conference information is ALWAYS available on-line at http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/ams

Any questions, comments or concerns regards to the 38th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference please feel free to email me

[email protected]

THANKS!

James

I am currently working to put together a panel discussion for the conference. What is a panel discussion? Well just before the Saturday Night Banquet we have a panel of professionals that will take questions from students, guests, professionals and anyone else about there side of the field. I have selected someone to represent broadcasting but I am looking to find those going to the conference that might be able to represent Private Industry, NWS, Climate (prefer policy), Environmental Sciences (maybe?), Space Weather (This would be awesome!), Military (maybe?) and other areas. Any suggestions? I have some professionals in mind but won't know anything until registration is open which wont be till around the first week of January.

I am just rambling now! But I figured you all might want to know whats going on in my mind in the planning process.

That's the latest from my side of things!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!!!!

Register NOW for the 38th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference in Rutland Vermont. Registrations are due before Feb 14... Any registration after this date will be subjected to a $10 late fee. Here is the rates

Hotel Cost: SPECIAL $79/night (Conference is 2 nights) *Ends Feb 16*

Registration Costs:

All Proceeds: Registration, Breakfasts, Lunch, and Banquet - $160.00 per Professional / $150.00 per Student.
All Proceeds without Breakfasts - $150.00 per Professional / $140.00 per Student.
All Proceeds without Saturday Lunch - $155.00 per Professional / $145.00 per Student.
All Proceeds without Banquet - $130.00 per Professional / $120.00 per Student.
Registration and Breakfasts - $105.00 per Professional / $95.00 per Student.
Registration and Lunch - $100.00 per Professional / $90.00 per Student.
Registration and Banquet - $120.00 per Professional / $110.00 per Student.
Registration Only - $90.00 per Professional / $80.00 per Student.

Guest Charges:
Price for 2 breakfasts: $25.00 per person
Price for Saturday lunch: $25.00 per person
Price for the Banquet only: $35.00 per person

Discounts:
Paper Presentation - $10.00
Poster Presentation - $5.00

Can't wait to see ya!!!! Yeah lets hope not!!! lol 

EVERYONE HEADS UP!!!

Registration Late Fees will be placed on Registrations after today.... REGISTER NOW for the 38th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference in Rutland Vermont. 

*Any Lyndon Alumni*

Make sure you attend the alumni session because Jebril Postle (President) and myself have so important news

Visit our website for the latest!!! (http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/ams)

Archived