• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

Whiteface looks like it survived the rain fairly well, still reporting 73/87 open(73/78 trails, all glades and the slides closed), and looking at the webcam coverage still looks good. With some snow over the weekend and into next week, they should make april with little difficulty barring a 2012 style warmup(which I don't think is happening...)

-skisheep

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Powderfreak, how is Stowe looking for the spring season? Considering venturing across the lake for the long easter weekend, barring no major rain events, the mountain is in decent shape for spring, correct?

-skisheep

The snowpack is generally fine though now weaker than it was. Snowmaking terrain is buried. I feel very comfortable with anything we made snow on lasting for a long time...natural snow terrain has taken some hits with this rain just exposing wind-scoured areas and rock bands in a few spots, but most of it would be skiable if it softens or snows more.

Right now the trail count is low due to surface conditions on steep ungroomed terrain. If it softens or snows, the steep expert stuff will reopen. Slide-for-life material out there today on that terrain.

Really from here on out at this point you want to look for those nice, sunny, seasonably mild days (great spring riding) or days with snowfall.

The snowpack is generally fine though now weaker than it was. Snowmaking terrain is buried. I feel very comfortable with anything we made snow on lasting for a long time...natural snow terrain has taken some hits with this rain just exposing wind-scoured areas and rock bands in a few spots, but most of it would be skiable if it softens or snows more.

Right now the trail count is low due to surface conditions on steep ungroomed terrain. If it softens or snows, the steep expert stuff will reopen. Slide-for-life material out there today on that terrain.

Really from here on out at this point you want to look for those nice, sunny, seasonably mild days (great spring riding) or days with snowfall.

I'd love nothing more than to have it snow two feet wednesday night, I drive up thursday, and then it's 50s all weekend. Atleast for me, spring skiing is second only to powder days in winter, and even then it's close... Looks like ski country should hopefully do well with the SWFE esque system early next week.

Good to know that Stowe is well prepared for spring, I'm trying to branch out from Whiteface(while I love the place, I'm there enough that some variety is welcome...), so knowing that the grass is just as white(or whiter) on the other side of the lake is good news!

-skisheep

I'd love nothing more than to have it snow two feet wednesday night, I drive up thursday, and then it's 50s all weekend. Atleast for me, spring skiing is second only to powder days in winter, and even then it's close... Looks like ski country should hopefully do well with the SWFE esque system early next week.

Good to know that Stowe is well prepared for spring, I'm trying to branch out from Whiteface(while I love the place, I'm there enough that some variety is welcome...), so knowing that the grass is just as white(or whiter) on the other side of the lake is good news!

-skisheep

I grew up with seasons passes to Gore and Whiteface so know both of those well... great skiing in the Adirondacks.  I'm always looking at the slides of Whiteface from Mansfields ridgeline across the Lake, I wish I had more time to get back over there.

I'm like you by this time of year... I love powder but after last weekend (easily one of the best, feel-good weekends of the season), I can do 45F and sunny every day if need be.  I think what made this weekend so good was it was mild but not excessively warm... 37-43F summits and 43-50F base area.  Dew points stayed low so the snow never got "soggy" and stayed surprisingly dry and chalky.  I was still skiing dry, north-facing powder in the upper elevation evergreens in the afternoon with temps in the 40s.  Its like Colorado skiing at that point...mild but very dry air.

I just see this photo from Saturday and it makes me want to just pull up a lawn chair to the "beach" (where ski patrol hangs out and grills) and enjoy the sunshine while occasionally taking soft spring runs through the bumps.

485089_10151279575527382_1335090603_n.jp

Of course, after I decided to stay home this weekend because of reports from Whiteface that it's representing the Iceface monkier quite well right now, they get hit with a suprise squall line, and are reporting 6" new this morning, with Gore reporting 9"(My pass is good at both...).

Oh well, looks like wednesday is a go somewhere, probably Hunter unless they get nothing on tuesday and somewhere else gets rocked...

-skisheep

i have to work today (Sunday) won't know about Monday until the end of the day today and I see how much gets done...i'm at the Best Western in Franconia right now, exit 38 I-93 so I'm only a ten minute drive from Cannon...thinking about staying up here if they are going to get some snow...but i just hate skiing by myself, some people might get enjoyment out of it, but i just don't like it...would be a shame to be so close and then just drive home, though

Just got back from a week at SR and S'loaf. Great week of skiing despite the rain on Tuesday. Wish I was there this week. Lol

SR is just all around great. S'loaf is a little rough around the edges but is just a humbling ski mt. Tote to Hayburner to Candyside may be the best top to bottom run in the East.

Of course, after I decided to stay home this weekend because of reports from Whiteface that it's representing the Iceface monkier quite well right now, they get hit with a suprise squall line, and are reporting 6" new this morning, with Gore reporting 9"(My pass is good at both...).

Oh well, looks like wednesday is a go somewhere, probably Hunter unless they get nothing on tuesday and somewhere else gets rocked...

-skisheep

Saturday was OK.. Real firm underneath. Yesterday they just mowed everything and it was fast. Wilmington was probably the best - especially down lower where the sun worked the snow a bit skier's left. Skyward was pretty good; edgeable but real firm. Not a weekend to fall that's for sure. Still a lot of snow and it's all locked up for safekeeping if you know what I mean. It's 3F here 20 miles north of the mountain. Wednesday will be real good. We'll be skiing well into April this year.

Definitely midwinter up there. Couldn't believe how much more snow is still up there. Once w got past hogback on 9, it was a different world.

yep, felt like early Feb, windy 25 degrees. With the sun angle, it felt nice. Still a great day of skiing, felt good to get back to Snow hadn't been there in 7yrs. Only took hr and 35min to get there up through 112 in Colrain. Hardpack on N slopes softer snow on S slopes. Good times. 

A few pictures from our Maine trip.

Beautiful cloud inversion at the top of SR last monday:

Amy and I at the top of Aurora Peak at SR:

This was wednesday at SR after the deluge, pretty good spring skiing!  (with my wife displaying good form after 3 years off for pregnancy and back problems.)

Sugarloaf was mid-winter conditions saturday and sunday.

Heading up into the King Pine Bowl:

Riding the Timberline lift to the summit.  Had about 2" fresh snow at the top.

View of the Bigelow Range:

Looking down into the Brackett Basin Glades which were closed but should be epic after tomorrow:

post-919-0-80537400-1363620637_thumb.jpg

Sugarloaf was mid-winter conditions saturday and sunday.

Heading up into the King Pine Bowl:

attachicon.gifkpbowl.jpg

Riding the Timberline lift to the summit.  Had about 2" fresh snow at the top.

attachicon.giftmbrline.jpg

View of the Bigelow Range:

attachicon.gifbigelows.jpg

Looking down into the Brackett Basin Glades which were closed but should be epic after tomorrow:

attachicon.gifbrbasin.jpg

Wow those Loaf pictures look really nice.  One place I've never been and I'll have to make the pilgrimage sometime.  What does it take from out this way like 6 and a half hours or something?

Archived