SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not whining really, just, well..., whining. Other than Powderfreak I probably know more about snowpack dynamics than just about anyone else here.

I'm already hearing from people this morning that So. VT may be worse than yesterday off the groomers. I hope the Berks are better.

I was at work today, you were skiing. Quit crying ;-)

That, andif you are a member here, you are probably aware that weather can affect snow condiitons....

re: Magic Mt today

What a waste of $50 in gas.  Yesterdays snow was warm and wet even though it stayed at or below freezing on the mt yesterday then it got just a bit colder last night and everything set up hard as a rock for this morning.  Anything not groomed was unskiable until about 2 and I was shot by then.  The groomers were alright  until about 1 when they got good but then it clouded over by 2:30 and the ruts got HARD.  Oh well...  At least the coverage is really really good so the season should stretch out a bit and there are bound to be a few perfect days mixed in now.

That sucks. 

What a hidden gem that mountain is though.  My favorite in S VT.

A few shots from my neck of the woods today...skiing is excellent right now.  Hard to find too much to complain about with a solid, deep base from top to bottom.  Still crunchy on the lower third from Thursday afternoon when the warm temps moistened up the new snow and crust it over.  Upper half of the mountain is golden.  The usual spring-time type deal... but base depths are solid and the woods are wide open.

The mountain is mostly skied out, from the Thursday storm, but the woods are still so soft with a little loose powder on top.

385805_10151264061532382_1304992690_n.jp

1-2" on the mountain last night, nothing huge but enough to keep things fresh.  Hopefully there's more on the way tonight as moisture continues to back in from the northeast.

420259_10151264060867382_1631816386_n.jp

Bump runs in good shape...a little crunchy in spots but nice lines developing across the mountain.  This is the last real pitch on Chin Clip.

225494_10151264061027382_2029639709_n.jp

Low clouds spilling over the ridge from the north and west.  It was cool watching this stuff wash over the ridge, drop down the east side and dissipate. 

11584_10151264061512382_1019254067_n.jpg

Not whining really, just, well..., whining. Other than Powderfreak I probably know more about snowpack dynamics than just about anyone else here.

I'm already hearing from people this morning that So. VT may be worse than yesterday off the groomers. I hope the Berks are better.

I hear what you are saying... yesterday was a bit rugged even up here on the lower mountain.  Upper 2/3rds (top 1,500ft) has stayed fine but its crunchy on the lower 700ft of vert from Thursday afternoons warmth.  I'd assume it got even warmer down south, too, so can see how it would probably be crunchy at a higher elevation down there, too.

Thursday morning was definitely the time to hit this storm.  Even by like 12-1pm on Thursday it was getting that sticky, gloppy new snow conditions.  It like bunches up into snowballs in front of your skis as you go down when conditions are like that.

Just fooling...not questioning your skills whatsoever. Had a great day at Berkshire East today, but the stuff that wasn't groomed didn't look all too inviting, crusty and icy at best. Imagine that Magic would have been, well, like you said, a waste of gas.

u never show snowboarders pf....this guy pay you some bucks? or perhaps he was a handsome young lad

lol nahh he's a buddy.  I'd like to have more photos of snowboarders but honestly there are just more skiers at Stowe for whatever reason, even as it is the Burton home mountain (all Burton employees get passes to Stowe).

Woods and trails are skiing so well right now.  Lots of snow in the higher elevations.  I love this time of year when the natural snowpack is in the 5-6 foot range.  Not as good as some other recent years when it gets into the 8-10 foot range, but still solid snow depths.

399556_10151265767147382_1277497884_n.jp

535458_10151265767367382_1902639142_n.jp

563444_10151265766997382_484156166_n.jpg

Woods are skiing awesome... just lots of soft pow everywhere.

Up top you can see the snowpack depth next to the cat road...always takes some time to melt this out.

Went to Sunapee yesterday for the first time, quite impressed with the overall mountain. 100% New England crowd, a high speed lift, lots of fun terrain and excellent snow, packed powder with lots of loose snow.  A litte closer, slightly lower price, 1500 feet, pleasant folks, this turned out to exceed expectations!

Woods and trails are skiing so well right now.  Lots of snow in the higher elevations.  I love this time of year when the natural snowpack is in the 5-6 foot range.  Not as good as some other recent years when it gets into the 8-10 foot range, but still solid snow depths.

Up top you can see the snowpack depth next to the cat road...always takes some time to melt this out.

Don't get me wrong, but you suck ;-) That looks awesome. Thanks for making me jealous. 

It's a good little mountain, let's keep that a secret... ;)

Went to Sunapee yesterday for the first time, quite impressed with the overall mountain. 100% New England crowd, a high speed lift, lots of fun terrain and excellent snow, packed powder with lots of loose snow.  A litte closer, slightly lower price, 1500 feet, pleasant folks, this turned out to exceed expectations!

lol nahh he's a buddy.  I'd like to have more photos of snowboarders but honestly there are just more skiers at Stowe for whatever reason, even as it is the Burton home mountain (all Burton employees get passes to Stowe).

i would say that i think in line with stowe being a high end resort, you want to take pics of skiers more, that it just is more a picture of class and the elegance the mountain wants to portray and continue to position themself as...and that snowboarders wether right or wrong has sort of the younger/less wealthy/less likely to spend the bucks and the surfer-stoner type reputation

when i was at stowe i saw tons of boarders thou,  i would think stowe would want you taking more pics of skiers but i dunno maybe not, i have marketing degree, sometimes i think to much into things.

Nice set of pictures.  Looks really good.   Mansfield's size is a big plus this time of year.

Okemo yesterday, 3/5/13. Packed powder and powder top to bottom through 2pm, though the PM warmup to 35deg softened up the snow near the base. No crowds, ski right on to the lifts, usually trails to ourselves. Great great great. Will have to skip another workday and get up there again shortly.

Love that snow impingement on the spruce/fir summit trees...

post-5036-0-85070800-1362574130_thumb.jp

Yep, it's the real deal...

post-5036-0-31409500-1362574273_thumb.jp

Summit was in the clouds until about 11AM, then big sky and sun thereafter ...

post-5036-0-75138600-1362574290_thumb.jp

My library director-wife forgetting about books for a while...

post-5036-0-33294800-1362574334_thumb.jp

i would say that i think in line with stowe being a high end resort, you want to take pics of skiers more, that it just is more a picture of class and the elegance the mountain wants to portray and continue to position themself as...and that snowboarders wether right or wrong has sort of the younger/less wealthy/less likely to spend the bucks and the surfer-stoner type reputation

when i was at stowe i saw tons of boarders thou, i would think stowe would want you taking more pics of skiers but i dunno maybe not, i have marketing degree, sometimes i think to much into things.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it and that has never ever been suggested, lol. In fact, I've been told I need more shots of boarders. I just roll with a ski oriented crowd. We are Burton's home mountain, and every Burton employee gets a Stowe pass. There are a lot of riders here.

Based on what I've seen all day it won't be nearly as good as Wa Wa.

Certainly didn't get as much snow as WaWa or MBY but rocked nonetheless.  4-6" pristine ungroomed.  Ripping powder turns down the wide open steeps of Competition and Flying Cloud west coast style. 

Archived