SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep it coming. Planning on going to Stowe for Spring break (March 30-April 6th). Last year the wall to wall torch in March killed my plans. I know typically 3/4 of the mountain is open then. How is the snowpack this year compared to last? Would Stowe be a better bet than Killington for trails open (I need some greens for my 7 year old). Thanks in advance for your help.

Best skiing of the year up here...32" in the past 7 days with some good density. So much fun to charge stuff again.

Awesome!  Really looking forward to skiing (beginning tomorrow).  Is there a decent base in the trees these days?

The latest BTV 4KM WRF shows more than .5" QPF for Mansfield over the next few days.  Have you found that to be a reliable indicator?

Thanks!

well what a cute little gem of a mountain...Ragged Mountain...took advantage of the 14$ lift tix...i had a blast! smaller moutain packed with awesome groomers, glades, bumps, and even ravine skiing...i actually skied natural moguls today, a black diamond trail, and a blue square trail...loved their high-speed 6-pack quad, awesome groomers with twits and turns, and ups and downs, and multiple pitches...and it was a gorgeous day for skiing, and the snow conditions were fantastic!

Awesome!  Really looking forward to skiing (beginning tomorrow).  Is there a decent base in the trees these days?

The latest BTV 4KM WRF shows more than .5" QPF for Mansfield over the next few days.  Have you found that to be a reliable indicator?

Thanks!

It is a reasonable indicator... but often too high.  Its like the NAM in that regards... its very good at sensing orographic enhancement but usually over-does it.  I'd take like 30% of it to start, but a couple inches may be possible over the next day or two.

Woods have been the best they've been all season.  There's a rock hard base at the bottom of the pack, that's not too deep but its solid, and now there's a bunch of dense powder and skier packed powder on top.

I do fear that no matter how great the conditions, after the holiday weekend the mountain will be played out.  Just the shear volume of skiers/riders will certainly cause it to get scraped down, but this happens everywhere and there's not much you can do about it.

Here are two photos from today in the woods...good settled powder.

563149_10101503740913020_1921638468_n.jp

18615_10101503740828190_1367772366_n.jpg

Thanks for the info. Selfishly hoping that the cold on Sunday keeps crowds down a bit, but yes, eventually the skier traffic will take its toll. I've founds that the woods usually stay soft the longest, though it will certainly be tracked out.

BTW, where are those photos taken, or is that privileged info?

Thanks for the info. Selfishly hoping that the cold on Sunday keeps crowds down a bit, but yes, eventually the skier traffic will take its toll. I've founds that the woods usually stay soft the longest, though it will certainly be tracked out.

BTW, where are those photos taken, or is that privileged info?

Nah they are from the upper Chapel Woods... skiers right of Sunrise.  Not on the map but well known area.

Rode all day at Ragged Mountain yesterday for a VDay precent for me and the wife.  It was my first time at this mountain and the conditions were really awesome!  They have one of the nicest lodges I've ever been in.  Nicer than any of the big ski areas in my opinion (I've been to most of the larger areas in NH, VT, and ME). 

We got in on a $14 lift ticket deal from a popular ski lift ticket deal website! (not sure if we are allowed to mention these sites). 

For tree skiers they do have a huge gladed area between the two mountains that was open and looked sweet.

For any riders looking for a deal keep your eyes open for the Ragged Mountain deals!

Favorite run of the day:  Flying Yankee.

Rode all day at Ragged Mountain yesterday for a VDay precent for me and the wife.  It was my first time at this mountain and the conditions were really awesome!  They have one of the nicest lodges I've ever been in.  Nicer than any of the big ski areas in my opinion (I've been to most of the larger areas in NH, VT, and ME). 

We got in on a $14 lift ticket deal from a popular ski lift ticket deal website! (not sure if we are allowed to mention these sites). 

For tree skiers they do have a huge gladed area between the two mountains that was open and looked sweet.

For any riders looking for a deal keep your eyes open for the Ragged Mountain deals!

i was there yesterday as well...Flying Yankee was my favorite run as well...i posted above, loved that little mountain...about the size of Wachusett, well a bit bigger cause they have two peaks and the glades in the middle...but much better terrain, and way better groomers...all-around awesome day...comfortable temps and great snow! i would go back!

They have some deep discounts on Liftopia and you can also get 2-1 midweeks anytime with http://rideandskine.com card.  

Is Berkshire East worth it right now?  

I'm trying to figure out where to ski Sunday and Monday.  We have a room in Middlebury VT for Sunday night but it seems like it's not worth the effort until you get further north and everybody is pushing Jay or Stowe.  I just don't want to drive that far Sunday morning, ski a full day then ski Monday and drive seven hours back and they are both silly expensive.     

Is Berkshire East worth it right now?  

I'm trying to figure out where to ski Sunday and Monday.  We have a room in Middlebury VT for Sunday night but it seems like it's not worth the effort until you get further north and everybody is pushing Jay or Stowe.  I just don't want to drive that far Sunday morning, ski a full day then ski Monday and drive seven hours back and they are both silly expensive.     

From your location it's closer to the western slopes of the berks if you are looking for easy.  Nothing against Berkshire East, I loved it when I lived in the Amherst MA area, but I wouldn't drive past too many places to go there.

i was there yesterday as well...Flying Yankee was my favorite run as well...i posted above, loved that little mountain...about the size of Wachusett, well a bit bigger cause they have two peaks and the glades in the middle...but much better terrain, and way better groomers...all-around awesome day...comfortable temps and great snow! i would go back!

Get yer poles!

Archived