joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally a Green Mountain powder day... the northern Spine turned on the snow machine last night.

Snowfall was very elevation dependent, with east slope accumulations ranging from 4" at 1,500ft to 7" at 3,000ft and even higher amounts in that 3,000-4,000ft band.  Smugglers Notch Ski Resort also logged 6-10" of new snow last night. 

The skiing was quite nice with the fresh fluff.

This is under 2,600ft:

556034_10151223272942382_332127257_n.jpg

Higher up in elevation at 3,000-3,600ft the snow was almost knee deep in places.  And the groomers all said it pretty much fell in a 6-8 hour period so it must've been dumping heavily at times last night up here.

563637_10151223273342382_565877764_n.jpg

46758_10151223273687382_1621565537_n.jpg

69669_10151223273492382_882985458_n.jpg

487542_10151223272987382_1095915868_n.jp

578095_10151223273167382_1195432771_n.jp

285268_10151223273617382_362276877_n.jpg

481461_10151223273482382_1581289347_n.jp

So with the potential bomb for SNE, where should I head saturday for ideal snow? Either has to be within 2-2.5 hours from Stamford, CT(so catskills or berkshires basically), or somewhere that I can take a ski bus from NYC. Advanced skier, would like to avoid crowds but they can be dealt with.

-skisheep

So with the potential bomb for SNE, where should I head saturday for ideal snow? Either has to be within 2-2.5 hours from Stamford, CT(so catskills or berkshires basically), or somewhere that I can take a ski bus from NYC. Advanced skier, would like to avoid crowds but they can be dealt with.

-skisheep

Plattekill or Berkshire East if you want good steeps and cheap (ish.)

Yeah looks like she got seriously f'd up - ACL, MCL, and lateral tibial plateau fracture.  Ouch!

-skisheep

B'East will be the more challenging and least crowded but Butternut could be good also if there is 10"+

B'East will be the more challenging and least crowded but Butternut could be good also if there is 10"+

B'East sounds like a good choice, doable day trip from Stamford(3 hours), and no crowds is nice thing. Like butternut, but the challenge really isn't there, and it's a zoo weekends. If this continues to put Whiteface in for some decent snow(warning event), might just have to bite the bullet and do the 5 hours this weekend, was going to go up for the long weekend but given the snow might need to go up again. also that eliminates the hotel room which is important, and it's nice to have a house to come home to instead of a car ride.

I was up at mount snow on on Monday and Tuesday and the conditions were tremendous. Although the terrain was limited to about 40+ trails, the snowmaking team did a wonderful job laying down a nice thick base on the runs that were open. They squeezed out like an inch a day for the past five days so that definitely helped along with the fact that there was a snowmaking conference being held there. I assume they wanted to look good for all the folks that flew in for the convention and they certainly did. The new chair they added ( bluebird express) is an incredible upgrade and allows the skier/rider to get up the mountain quickly and comfortably. It really improves the overall experience. A+ to the folks that make it all happen at mount snow!!! They've most certainly made some great improvements.

I was up at mount snow on on Monday and Tuesday and the conditions were tremendous. Although the terrain was limited to about 40+ trails, the snowmaking team did a wonderful job laying down a nice thick base on the runs that were open. They squeezed out like an inch a day for the past five days so that definitely helped along with the fact that there was a snowmaking conference being held there. I assume they wanted to look good for all the folks that flew in for the convention and they certainly did. The new chair they added ( bluebird express) is an incredible upgrade and allows the skier/rider to get up the mountain quickly and comfortably. It really improves the overall experience. A+ to the folks that make it all happen at mount snow!!! They've most certainly made some great improvements.

Nice i'm looking to head up to Mt. Snow in March haven't been in 8yrs. I'm heading to Okemo tomorrow, and my son has a comp at Crotched on Sunday.  i'll be skiing there should be an epic powder day if I can get there. lol. 

Sounds like the northern stream system is already putting down a fair bit in VT from Magic up through Stowe.  I also heard that I89 is closed heading up the hill out of Burlington due to a big accident.  

The accident was southbound on Bolton Flats.  Colleague here at work was stuck in traffic for half an hour or so. 

The accident was southbound on Bolton Flats.  Colleague here at work was stuck in traffic for half an hour or so. 

It was a TERRIBLE accident. I drove the other way. Looked really, really bad.  Like the car was in pieces bad.

Well, on a better note,

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/schussing-nemo-pt-1/

This am was great.

all right guys and gals...who had some time to sneak in some powder runs? please tell me the details!

Not me. too much to do today. Wachusett reached "full capacity" early on and filled all of their lots. Webcams looked disasterous. Maybe I will go Monday after the early precip wrecks the powder...  fail on my part

We waited in line and were 5th chair to the summit of Pico Saturday morning. It was sweet but it was only a foot of snow and the top was wind packed for the first few hundred feet. Dec 27th was much better. It was great to have the natural snow trails back but the woods are still a little tricky with hidden stumps and rocks. It would have been best day of the year if it was last year. Today was great in the sunshine.

Went to Cannon yesterday. Great conditions top to bottom with good groomers first few runs and then soft loose snow all day with a rare frozen section. Crowds peaked from 10AM to 1130AM but then things got back to normal. A great mountain that really needs to have a legit high speed quad from top to bottom. Journey from Newport up and then back down, never saw a state cop, made for a quick loop!

I'm leaving for Mount Baker and Whistler on Thursday for six days of skiing (1 and 5 respectively)... Spending a few days in SEA beforehand.. Should be a fun trip, they had a ton of snow in December, a dry January, but it has picked up some lately so the conditions have improved. Looks like we'll get a bunch of 4-8 type of events while we're out there which is fine by me... The one difference between PNW skiing and skiing in the Rockies in terms of looking at the weather is that one always needs to monitor what the snow levels are in Cascades.

I'm leaving for Mount Baker and Whistler on Thursday for six days of skiing (1 and 5 respectively)... Spending a few days in SEA beforehand.. Should be a fun trip, they had a ton of snow in December, a dry January, but it has picked up some lately so the conditions have improved. Looks like we'll get a bunch of 4-8 type of events while we're out there which is fine by me... The one difference between PNW skiing and skiing in the Rockies in terms of looking at the weather is that one always needs to monitor what the snow levels are in Cascades.

where do you look up forecasts for Whistler?

I've used wunderground and EC, but it's hard to figure out amounts in the forecast

Archived