• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

i wonder if it has anything to do with base/summit elevation and upslope snow?

2.5 to 4 f temp increases in the next 30 years. consider me being 99% skeptical of that ever occuring.

anyhow to the point powderfreak makes, i would ask /guess that the snowfalls in VT are more POWDERY in nature, then in nh and maine (although sugar loaf and bretton woods i would think have decent powder) and that if the temp increased at that 'absurd imo pace' the mountains of vt would have their annual snow fall effected by a lesser % b'c since they get generally more powdery snow, there have a bit more wiggle room in regard to temps. Also and probably at least as much of a reason , Vt resorts average more snow than most of their nh/maine counterparts. i mean besides 2 resorts in nh and maine (each) that i think would be 'safe in the increased temp scenario" bretton woods, and wildcat, and sugarloaf and saddleback (200' annually), no one else in nh/maine average that much, and nobody averages what jay peak , stowe, smuggs, bolton, sugarbush, killington, ave 250 plus. but it's all speculation by me. perhaps vt resorts are more economically viable.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.5 to 4 f temp increases in the next 30 years. consider me being 99% skeptical of that ever occuring.

anyhow to the point powderfreak makes, i would ask /guess that the snowfalls in VT are more POWDERY in nature, then in nh and maine (although sugar loaf and bretton woods i would think have decent powder) and that if the temp increased at that 'absurd imo pace' the mountains of vt would have their annual snow fall effected by a lesser % b'c since they get generally more powdery snow, there have a bit more wiggle room in regard to temps. Also and probably at least as much of a reason , Vt resorts average more snow than most of their nh/maine counterparts. i mean besides 2 resorts in nh and maine (each) that i think would be 'safe in the increased temp scenario" bretton woods, and wildcat, and sugarloaf and saddleback (200' annually), no one else in nh/maine average that much, and nobody averages what jay peak , stowe, smuggs, bolton, sugarbush, killington, ave 250 plus. but it's all speculation by me. perhaps vt resorts are more economically viable.

2.5-4F does seem a bit steep to me. The mean projection for winter in the eastern U.S. is 3.8C/100 years in the A1B IPCC scenario. That's 1.14C/30 years. And warming is projected faster the 2nd half of the century than the first. So that's about 1C/30 years early century.

Which comes out to 1.8F/30 years. Confidence interval would be 1F-3F of warming over the next 3 decades. Not 2.5-4F. So that's much more than the IPCC A1B scenario. Not sure where they're getting their numbers.. maybe the A2 scenario.. but that would be silly to select the A2 scenario.

Had my first real day of skiing today finally at Snowbird (got my pass). Epic!!!! Base depth is 25" and was skiing trees, bumps, chutes etc. Mountain is only about 1/3 open and conditions are sort of like Mid-January New England when it hasn't snowed in a week but it also hasn't rained. Lots of soft spots still to be found but not exactly powdery.

Supposed to snow a couple feet over the next few days from what I can tell which should produce some of the best conditions I've ever skied.

Don't know if anybody has noticed, mt snow is doing a $12 feel on 12/12. Ilk be there, anybody else considering? Maybe an impromptu gtg?

Damn... I took that day off, too, but my daughter has a concert (reason I took it off)

I will prob ski WaWa that morning for a bit then go to the show.

I have never skied Mt. snow, but mountain biked it, golfed, etc

Archived