joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 free lift tix' is great diane, wa wa should be rockin by mid december. I'd get ready to use some of them very soon.

I'm trying to decide where i may go this weekend, i DONT WANT any ICY conditions and i'm open to vt/nh/or even maine. anyone have any suggestions. again don't want ice at all.

Those moguls in PFs pics look pretty soft. Advice would be to get there early and stay in the sun. Afternoon shady spots on busy days is where you're going to find the ice.

so jealous of NNE!!! i have 6coupons for free lift tix to WaWa...just hasn't been quite cold enough for good snow making here in SNE...

think I'm going to try out Sunapee this year...I like the smaller, not so overwhelming mtns...

Sunapee is a nice mountain. Decent amount of vert, usually not especially crowded, and in a spot where they get a lot of natural snow. In fact I'd call it upper echelon as far as snow goes. Plus it's easy to get to.

Sunapee is a nice mountain. Decent amount of vert, usually not especially crowded, and in a spot where they get a lot of natural snow. In fact I'd call it upper echelon as far as snow goes. Plus it's easy to get to.

oh heck, that's awesome...thanks for that bit of info, did not know that :)

oh heck, that's awesome...thanks for that bit of info, did not know that smile.png

Weird, the wikipedia page says they only average 100" but yet ski magazine had em as having the best "snow conditions" in the east for the last 6 years running. I guess that is a combination of grooming, natural, snowmaking, lack of crowds...

in any case it's usually pretty good and very scenic.

Sunapee is a good place. Some neat trails

Even though Im a VT ski snob I have to say I like sunapee. I go once a year... Friends have a place up near there (I think the town is Washington?) and we cram 20 buddies into a house and it's always a blast. Just as much drinking as skiing but the snow has always been good.

Even though Im a VT ski snob I have to say I like sunapee. I go once a year... Friends have a place up near there (I think the town is Washington?) and we cram 20 buddies into a house and it's always a blast. Just as much drinking as skiing but the snow has always been good.

ryan where is your fav in vt

when's your next trip

Also, I think Sunapee has really invested in better snowmaking and grooming. Some of their lifts are older...

I think some of that is by design too. The Sunbowl Quad is slow which helps diffuse the crowds in there somewhat, because they just lack the number of trails on that peak to cram riders in with a high speed.

It does have some great trails though. I love taking the turn on Skyway Ledges overlooking frozen Lake Sunapee. It's kind of my go to mountain since I have family with a cabin up on the old King Ridge mountain.

Mt. Sunapee is in a really good weenie spot for snow but even more important it is very good for snow retention....better than much the southern Greens. So for places that are not 3 hour drives, it is a good place. I'd pick some place further north if you have the extra hour or two, but Sunapee does well for the further south spots.

I find that even when they get one of those elevation ices on a SW flow, they do a good job between snow making and grooming to make the trails above average while the tree tops are shredded.

Yeah that is key for their location....they are in a prime spot for icing events being east of the Greens and also east of the main hills to their SW that rise above the CT River. So keeping their trails in good condition can be tough. They are a good spot for coastals too...so when we get a good winter for those, they will clean up on natural snow.

ryan posted some impressive pics of icing last year at sunapee.....

Truthfully I was pretty appalled at how bad our forecast was for that area when I saw it. I was there probably a week or two after the big elevation icing event and couldn't believe the damage, especially considering we had little if any ZR in the grids. There aren't a ton of people in that area that live at those elevations, but the impacts are pretty significant for those that do. Not to mention the people out on the mountains.

Truthfully I was pretty appalled at how bad our forecast was for that area when I saw it. I was there probably a week or two after the big elevation icing event and couldn't believe the damage, especially considering we had little if any ZR in the grids. There aren't a ton of people in that area that live at those elevations, but the impacts are pretty significant for those that do. Not to mention the people out on the mountains.

What event was that?

1/12? or 1/27?

There might be another I can't remember...I have bad memory of last winter thankfully.

What event was that?

1/12? or 1/27?

There might be another I can't remember...I have bad memory of last winter thankfully.

I went only twice last year (new skis probably adding to the crap winter). Late December and then like third week of January. So I'm guessing it was the latter date.

Via their Facebook page the trees look pretty freshly glazed on the 28th.

417657_10150619126072154_622751613_n.jpg

Thanks guys for suggestions! Powderfreak what is ut take on the upslope saturday, its time for you to throw some numbers out,any of the local meso models sniffing anything out? Ratios should be good!

1-3"...maybe spot chance of 4" at summit. For all intents and purposes it won't change much in terms of skiing.

Yeah so it was def the 1/26-27 event. We had some ice in that one here....but it was def worse up there.

That was it! I actually skied that day and there was 1"+ accretion everywhere but they were grooming all day and conditions weren't terrible. The next day (Saturday) when the sun came out it was muchhhh better.

My friend's place is in Washington, NH which is a huge weenie location. I think my pics are in the thread from last year.

Archived