Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh I've missed watching the lights of the groomers move around the mountain at night. Loving the view from town as the bright lights from the three groomers on the hill follow each other up and down the trails. Living in a ski town there is something comforting about seeing those lights up there on the mountain at night, knowing they are preparing the hill for a fun day tomorrow.

Winter is back and ski season is here! Wooo Hoooo!

Ahhh I've missed watching the lights of the groomers move around the mountain at night. Loving the view from town as the bright lights from the three groomers on the hill follow each other up and down the trails. Living in a ski town there is something comforting about seeing those lights up there on the mountain at night, knowing they are preparing the hill for a fun day tomorrow.

Winter is back and ski season is here! Wooo Hoooo!

omg, this totally made me smile! i can feel your excitement!

Awesome day on the slopes...first two chairs of the season going up. We didn't get any snow from this last storm that hit SNE and ENE...but the 6-12" of dense upslope snow from last weekend is hanging tough. Always nice to have the trails all white and not riding up over brown to the summit.

8800_10151088564017382_1225911423_n.jpg

28041_10151088564097382_784103604_n.jpg

Kind of a joke photo... one of the best skiers on the mountain doing the photo pose, lol.

481810_10151088563732382_1939401199_n.jpg

22689_10151088563312382_523973217_n.jpg

534034_10151088563907382_487699770_n.jpg

536272_10151088563452382_127585625_n.jpg

539778_10151088563867382_1991532973_n.jpg

Man I love spinning laps on over 2,100 vertical feet and then only a 7 minute lift ride back to the top. Legs are killing me this evening.

250 guns is freakin' nuts... that's gotta be the industry leader right there. I wonder what Killington's been able to do the past couple days.

Last night when temps dropped to near 20F, Stowe got up near 190... 160 tower guns and 27 fan guns.

6,000+ gallons of water per minute being converted into snow (that's some hearty QPF right there, lol).

249369_10151084122792382_1494698154_n.jpg

552237_10151084122252382_372105440_n.jpg

Good dose of natural snow, too... with 10" of upslope over 4 days from Sandy's remnants.

534511_10151084122452382_114967825_n.jpg

Sundown runs 130 guns at once...their snowmaking capacity (gallons/min) is kept a secret though. Go look at Sundown's size and you tell me what you think those 130 guns do lol

Looks gorgeous, Scott. Many folks there?

Yeah the parking lot was packed by 10am... however it never felt all that crowded on the hill. Pass holders are generally locals who show up one per car, but there was still an impressive number of people. The entire Burton Company seemed to be there (we are their home mountain) among other groups and the mood was pretty awesome. I mean November 10th (pretty sure that was the earliest Stowe's ever spun a lift) with 2.5 routes down the mountain (4 miles and 2,000+ verts)? It was a good deal of skiing for so early.

Plus the pass holders were stoked on the amount of snow the new snowmaking system can make...the rest of the season should be fun.

Sundown runs 130 guns at once...their snowmaking capacity (gallons/min) is kept a secret though. Go look at Sundown's size and you tell me what you think those 130 guns do lol

Why keep that info a secret?

The one thing they got going for them is they don't have to pump water over miles and miles and up over 2000 vertical feet. People don't realize just how much money and energy is spent just getting water to the guns on a hill...try pumping water from sea level to SkiMRG's building site at over 2kft, lol...fighting gravity the whole way.

I can't imagine a place like Whiteface in the 'Dacks with like 3,500 feet of vertical...making snow at the summit requires an amazing amount of energy to constantly be moving water that far up in elevation; especially steep terrain like that. It's like pumping water straight up to H85 level haha.

Why keep that info a secret?

The one thing they got going for them is they don't have to pump water over miles and miles and up over 2000 vertical feet. People don't realize just how much money and energy is spent just getting water to the guns on a hill...try pumping water from sea level to SkiMRG's building site at over 2kft, lol...fighting gravity the whole way.

I can't imagine a place like Whiteface in the 'Dacks with like 3,500 feet of vertical...making snow at the summit requires an amazing amount of energy to constantly be moving water that far up in elevation; especially steep terrain like that. It's like pumping water straight up to H85 level haha.

I have no idea, but they do have the highest snowmaking capacity/acre in the world I believe. And yeah, I forgot the pressure loss/vertical foot but it's something ridiculous IIRC. What are you guys putting out for PSI at the bottom like 1000? lol

Killington was great this past weekend. Sunday was all about spring bumps and sunshine. The Bunny Buster run out to the bottom is getting thin. Hoping for a return to snowmaking for Tuesday night. After day 4 for me on Sunday I'm really starting to feel back to midwinter form. Now we just need the cold and snow to kick into high gear.

just checked the WaWa webcams...ouch...all the snow they blew is gone...SNE is not like NNE when comes to getting the snowguns fired up early...oh well, getting through today they will be able to fire the guns back up...and Winter Fire will go as planned...looking at the low temps for the next week, if they make snow every night they will be able to open on the 23rd...

just checked the WaWa webcams...ouch...all the snow they blew is gone...SNE is not like NNE when comes to getting the snowguns fired up early...oh well, getting through today they will be able to fire the guns back up...and Winter Fire will go as planned...looking at the low temps for the next week, if they make snow every night they will be able to open on the 23rd...

Yeah, I look at the daily. I think they just do it as just a gimmick unless it really looks like it will be cold. But hopefully the weather stays seasonable/below for a while.

Nov 23 is probably about as early as they can open (always shoot for Black Friday, which is early this year)

Plus, they only got an inch or so last week

when will NH be making snow, those slackers?

anyone know when wildcat may decide to open this year, i don't even think they are making snow during this blessed period

my aunt /uncle have a place slopeside at attitash and of course i'm welcome whenever lol, but the good thing is attitash actually partners with a mountain that actually has a legit base elevation and good annual snowfall (wildcat, base 2000' summit 4k) compared w/ attitash's modest 800ft base 2600? or so foot summit

from attitash's website

"The plan for the snowmaking is now in place. All we have to do is wait on the weather for consistenly cold temps and we'll be cranking out the snow. Stay tuned for more updates as the ski season is quickly approaching!"

IT IS? well temps are consistently cold , so crank em up , or shut ur mouths

Elevationwise, can the NH mountains make snow as much/often as VT?

there's actually a pretty strong inversion now, which should benefit the low elevation resorts. It was 32 on top of mount Washington and in the teens in many lower elevation city's at 6 this morning.

Archived