• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

SkiVT2 suggested that we get the 2012-13 Ski Season Thread underway and I agree with her. With Summer more than 1/2 over the 2012-13 season is rapidly approaching. Soon it will be time to tune up and drop in. I'm trying to keep in shape with a regiment of mountain biking, hiking and heavy heavy work. I replaced some equipment last season and will bolster the quiver with some new boots this fall. I've been having frequent ski dreams lately and they will only increase as time goes on. Last season's ski thread was a smashing success with nearly 84,000 views to date and thousands of replies. Everyone contributed great photos and stories (except Messenger who consistently tried to rain on everyone's parade.) Here's to a great new season that will be born in a few short months. Best of luck to all and Go Go Go!!!!

post-839-0-36733100-1342265893_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take a shot at getting this back on track and hope for an early season start like in 2009 when I skied at Sunday River on October 14th. It always something special when you can ski and view peak foliage at the same time. I did the 502 mile round trip drive as a day trip so that my son could get in his first October day of skiing. And wouldn't you know it, we drove home into a snowstorm, imagine that.

Peakfoliage.jpg

T2.jpg

LowerT-2.jpg

SP.jpg

The new CFS looks promising for the upcoming winter. In this thread we can discuss future model runs, current seasonal conditions, post pictures, give trip reports and also do what we do. Enjoy, be respectful of each other and revel in the fact New England provides the best and most challenging ski conditions anywhere East of the Continental Divide.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing if the latest CFS has a good handle on things. Conditions right now aren't that good, slippery rocks and fast grass so a good cold system delivering snow would be a blessing. I'm hoping for a return of coastal systems as well. We didn't see enough full fledged N'oreasters last season so their return is highly anticipated.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing if the latest CFS has a good handle on things. Conditions right now aren't that good, slippery rocks and fast grass so a good cold system delivering snow would be a blessing. I'm hoping for a return of coastal systems as well. We didn't see enough full fledged N'oreasters last season so their return is highly anticipated.

Amen.

I posted recently a research paper which suggested that Noreasters in burgeoning Niño years are more intense if summer SSTs in the Gulf and off the Southeast coast are above normal. Looking very good. I suspect a higher frequency of really intense 970 ish storms return. Not the best news for the coastal plain at time but gold for interior elevation. It will be nice to get an early start this year.

Pretty cool how very many winter sports enthusiasts we have here who go get it and really enjoy taking advantage of the great resource snow is.

Snow is a way of life for many of us. It's great to have an inimate bond with a weather related phenomenon. Last year was tough but I had so many great ski days and memories made. Like the afternoon I met up with you and TB for few runs at the B'east. Hopefully we'll get a good powder day in there together this season.

Snow is a way of life for many of us. It's great to have an inimate bond with a weather related phenomenon. Last year was tough but I had so many great ski days and memories made. Like the afternoon I met up with you and TB for few runs at the B'east. Hopefully we'll get a good powder day in there together this season.

We should meet and drive up to see the freak this year. I will watch you two crazies hit the hard stuff while I cruise.

Any new trails being cut at local resorts, expansion? Wish Skierin Vt was around, I really want to try Saddleback.

I know some people that are cutting all the limbs in their glades that are below 12'. Private reserve skiing. Snowmobile access (tow ins) or earn your turns. I pruned all my trails last summer and they are still good. Miles and miles of snowmachine/ski trails here just waiting for the snow to return.

Any new trails being cut at local resorts, expansion? Wish Skierin Vt was around, I really want to try Saddleback.

Been going to SL since I was a kid (1977 was my first time there to be specific). Been interested in checking out SB as well. Much more affordable, and everything I hear says it's good skiing.

Got a standing invite to my friends place he built just down the road from Okemo, snowmobiles too, going to take advantage of that this year. Also NECT said his brother has a place. Let's do something this year!

Not I, nor my brother. Wish you were correct though. My parents have a crapload of timeshare at the Loaf though. Tix are still too damn expensive except for April after Reggae.

I don't know if PF is crazy but why would you call me crazy?lol Haven't I had enough abuse for one day?

Yo any one who jumps out of perfectly good plane well.... Maybe insane is better. I wish I had half the skill set of you and freak. Let's just let the other BS go.

Really am liking the trends, lots of panic setting in as Niño is not a friend for some. As we know very well Ski Areas do excellent unless its a super Niño with a raging positive NAO, highly highly unlikely.

Berkshire east had some really great deals on night skiing - if they have those again we should try a GTG. Have to take the kids (cause I've turned them all on to skiing) so that's what I can afford.

Pro lurker and I will keep you posted on good deals at the B'east. Such a great place for family skiing. Enough steeper stuff to keep the parents (me) happy and lot's of easier stuff for the kids to learn on. Didn't get too much glade skiing there last season but in a normal season lots of steep tree skiing opens up. Sure hoping the weather breaks the right way this go 'round.

Archived