• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
(2012) July 4th weather, plans, gen. chat, fireworks pics

stormitecture

I've been going to the same field to watch the Gaithersburg show with my kids for 7 straight years......and they're cancelled.....

Gonna road trip up to Ski Liberty and watch from Carrol Park. Live music, car show, kids rides, etc so should still be a good time. Fireworks are launched from the top of the mountain so it will be interesting seeing that.

I was tempted to skip fireworks but I'm being goaded on. I may hit the river somewhere again--it's just a hefty return back home considering there's work the next day.

I was tempted to skip fireworks but I'm being goaded on. I may hit the river somewhere again--it's just a hefty return back home considering there's work the next day.

And let me guess...you also have to do a forecast ;-)

I tried to see if Ellinwood was interested in heading down...an IonWarriorWood reunion hahaha. Although actually, I do have your copy of Funnel Vision. If I don't bring it...I should just pop it in the mail so you have some reading during the next derecho / power outage.

And let me guess...you also have to do a forecast ;-)

I tried to see if Ellinwood was interested in heading down...an IonWarriorWood reunion hahaha. Although actually, I do have your copy of Funnel Vision. If I don't bring it...I should just pop it in the mail so you have some reading during the next derecho / power outage.

mm, i think im technically supposed to be on call but if im out im out.

yeah i figured i forgot that as i have not seen it since. we might cross paths.. can see what plans are at some pt tomorrow. i was initially considering something closer but im not sure there are the angles i want at the white house etc.

mm, i think im technically supposed to be on call but if im out im out.

yeah i figured i forgot that as i have not seen it since. we might cross paths.. can see what plans are at some pt tomorrow. i was initially considering something closer but im not sure there are the angles i want at the white house etc.

I move most years. I've done the tidal basin, Memorial Bridge (last year), and the Mall is too tedious and crowded. I'm considering Arlington Cemetery (I have family there, so got permit to park there), or nearby at the Air Force memorial (although I really wanted a nice zoom lens for that).

I'll likely also be shooting a bit of night shots post event. Getting crowd shots, and other fun stuff.

If I'm out...gonna make it count ;-)

I may volunteer a 4 hour shift tomorrow then come home, throw some burgers on the grill and then we bought some local fireworks to shoot off here plus we are getting ready to leave Thursday for our trip to Pittsburgh, yay!!!! Busy day tomorrow plus my wife has a 5 k in the morning to run

Has anyone ever been to Fairfax City's or McLean's fireworks? I'm looking for alternates with most of MoCo's cancelled.

I've been to Mclean before. Nice show but traffic stunk afterwards. Fairfax is prob better but I haven't seen them.

We changed our plans and are hauling the kids to Columbia. Live music and stuff for the kids. Gonna set up a picnic early so we have good real state. With the main shows in Moco cancelled I think its going to be extra crowded but no biggie.

Has anyone ever been to Fairfax City's or McLean's fireworks? I'm looking for alternates with most of MoCo's cancelled.

Bit of a haul, but Baltimore was my next consideration. Watching from Federal Hill toward the inner harbor. It was a no go for me due to wind (wnw winds ruin pics) but it would be awesome for family fun. You'd have to leave now though.

FB Photo (hopefully everyone sees it) of the view from Federal Hill. Rough Cut Panoramic: 168862_4166751128227_1535709771_n.jpg

In the end I'm looking to set up along the Pot. Rvr (most likely) SW of the Lincoln. Want the the smoke to be to the side, not blocking, but not backdropping either.

I'll TRY to post from DC once I'm down there. But not sure how the cell networks will be AND AmWx not a priority for me (sorry). I'll post tomorrow or the day following (I may be busy tomorrow picking up my replacement Spitfire).

they always put on a good show in Leesburg at Ida Lee Park. We went the first year here and was impressed. Had a jimmy buffet cover band playing music and a few food stands. I know it is a haul from Bethesda but less traffic than FFX area

Thanks for all the tips, and nice pic Jason.

We ended up going to the Vienna Metro garage, where we had a great view of Fairfax, Falls Church, and McLean's shows, as well as half-a-dozen others in the distance. We also had a nice view of the storms rolling in from the West. Best of all, we had no traffic to deal with. Good times.

We ended up going to the Vienna Metro garage, where we had a great view of Fairfax, Falls Church, and McLean's shows, as well as half-a-dozen others in the distance. We also had a nice view of the storms rolling in from the West. Best of all, we had no traffic to deal with. Good times.

Whoa crazy, I ended up at the same parking garage. It was neat watching the two shows at once, with the distant show being visible way off down 66. The Fairfax fireworks were good, but what was up with the end? They just sort of stopped, no finale or anything.

Columbia was packed last night. We went early enough for decent viewing area and we were pretty close to the live music so that was a bonus.

I'm not sure why by my favortite fireworks are the concussion tubes. There's just something about the power of the explosion that I dig. The finale last night has an excellent series of concussion tubes at the end. Here's the last minute and a half of the show:

Columbia was packed last night. We went early enough for decent viewing area and we were pretty close to the live music so that was a bonus.

I'm not sure why by my favortite fireworks are the concussion tubes. There's just something about the power of the explosion that I dig. The finale last night has an excellent series of concussion tubes at the end. Here's the last minute and a half of the show:

Great video!

I live off brokenland right across from merriweather on a little bit of a hill that gives us a great fiew of everything but the lowest fireworks. I always enjoy looking down at the parking lot that is brokelnand pkway and seeing all the reactions ass the fireworks are starting and they're still sitting in traffic with the kids in the back yelling and screaming. It happens every year and it's my favorite part. If you're not in Columbia by like 8pm, you're never getting a spot.

I live off brokenland right across from merriweather on a little bit of a hill that gives us a great fiew of everything but the lowest fireworks. I always enjoy looking down at the parking lot that is brokelnand pkway and seeing all the reactions ass the fireworks are starting and they're still sitting in traffic with the kids in the back yelling and screaming. It happens every year and it's my favorite part. If you're not in Columbia by like 8pm, you're never getting a spot.

Boy you aren't kidding about getting a spot. It was majorly packed anywhere near the lake and stage. We got there at 630 and actually got a really nice spot on the deck above the stage but tons of folks were not happy trying to find a slice of space later on. We had great neighbors on the deck so it felt like a big party but it was standing room only by the time the show kicked off.

The one smart thing i did was drop everyone off close to the stage and parked way up in the mall lot right next to an exit. All our gear was on wheels and we had 7 of us so getting back was not a big deal. Were were out of the lot and on rt 29 in 15 minutes. Deeper into the lots was total gridlock.

Archived