• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2012: Upstate NY

Another warm Summer day for Upstate NY, but not oppressive as humidity levels are low. Most areas west of the Hudson Valley topping about around 85-90.

Summer wx generally bores me :), but some severe wx fans, etc. might find some interesting things to comment on here.

In the meantime, 2 months until meteorological Autumn!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS has me pegged for 90 here on Friday.

yeah friday is definitely the warmest airmass over this week. Euro has low 90s for just about everyone with upper 90s on the Niagara Escarpment. Thursday could be a bit of sneaky warm day since 850s are still running about 19-20C, the airmass is dry, and the surface wind is NNW...so there will be no lake influence.

yeah friday is definitely the warmest airmass over this week. Euro has low 90s for just about everyone with upper 90s on the Niagara Escarpment. Thursday could be a bit of sneaky warm day since 850s are still running about 19-20C, the airmass is dry, and the surface wind is NNW...so there will be no lake influence.

Whats BUFs best wind direction for extreme heat? Due S or SE?

Whats BUFs best wind direction for extreme heat? Due S or SE?

I think it's NW actually. While we downslope better on S to SE direction..it's nearly impossible to get very warm airmass aloft with that type of wind direction. Our warmest airmasses come from the northwest-west-southwest direction from the midwest and the desert southwest. The warmest day in the last 17 years, July 15th, 1995 at 97 degrees occurred with winds out of the northwesterly direction.

I think it's NW actually. While we downslope better on S to SE direction..it's nearly impossible to get very warm airmass aloft with that type of wind direction. Our warmest airmasses come from the northwest-west-southwest direction from the midwest and the desert southwest. The warmest day in the last 17 years, July 15th, 1995 at 97 degrees occurred with winds out of the northwesterly direction.

Never knew that, thanks for informing me. I always thought NW winds meant cooler temps but i guess it makes sense because when winds come from the NW thats right inbetween Erie and Ontario right over the Niagara pininsula.

Never knew that, thanks for informing me. I always thought NW winds meant cooler temps but i guess it makes sense because when winds come from the NW thats right inbetween Erie and Ontario right over the Niagara pininsula.

Yeah, obviously you need it to be a warm airmass, too. Sometimes with a ridge centered over the midwest...you'll get very warm temps to advect in from the northwest and west.

.CLIMATE...

THE YEARLY HEATING DEGREE DAYS ARE CALCULATED FROM JULY 1ST THROUGH

JUNE 30TH AND ARE CALCULATED ON A BASE OF 65F. BOTH BUFFALO AND

ROCHESTER SET NEW HEATING DEGREE DAY RECORDS FOR THE 2011-12 SEASON.

LIKEWISE BOTH BUFFALO AND ROCHESTER ALSO HAD ITS WARMEST JULY TO

JUNE PERIOD IN RECORDED HISTORY. BELOW ARE A LIST OF THE TOP 5

LEAST HEATING DEGREE DAY SEASONS FOR BOTH BUFFALO AND ROCHESTER.

BUFFALO

SEASON HEATING DEGREE DAYS

2011-12 5248

1990-91 5712

1920-21 5726

2005-06 5852

1931-32 5878

NORMAL IS 6617

.CLIMATE...

THE YEARLY HEATING DEGREE DAYS ARE CALCULATED FROM JULY 1ST THROUGH

JUNE 30TH AND ARE CALCULATED ON A BASE OF 65F. BOTH BUFFALO AND

ROCHESTER SET NEW HEATING DEGREE DAY RECORDS FOR THE 2011-12 SEASON.

LIKEWISE BOTH BUFFALO AND ROCHESTER ALSO HAD ITS WARMEST JULY TO

JUNE PERIOD IN RECORDED HISTORY. BELOW ARE A LIST OF THE TOP 5

LEAST HEATING DEGREE DAY SEASONS FOR BOTH BUFFALO AND ROCHESTER.

BUFFALO

SEASON HEATING DEGREE DAYS

2011-12 5248

1990-91 5712

1920-21 5726

2005-06 5852

1931-32 5878

NORMAL IS 6617

Wow we blew that record out the water! Not even close!

generally speaking, weak nino is the best for cold and snow of all the 7 ENSO states (strong nina, mod nina, weak nina, neutral, weak nino, mod nino, strong nino)

from what ive been hesring a weak to mod nino is expected by winter time.If we did see a weak nino and saw above average snow, it would seem like the snowiest year in decades since last winter was so ****ty. Id be happy with 100" . Id be thrilled if I got anything over 120"

Archived