• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Drought in Lower Lakes/Ohio Valley

Geos

With the expanding area of drought conditions across this region and no sign of significant widespread rainfall amounts anytime soon, I think posting all the information related to it in one thread. Most of spring was dry and now it is carrying over into summer, which may have agricultural impacts soon or is already.

Will see how long it lasts, but for the foreseeable future it will largely be dry where most of the members here reside. Anyone seeing stunted crops yet? What's your rainfall deficit so far?

Only 0.30" of rain here this month.

Latest Drought update:

midwest_dm.png

Forecast is for persistence and even expansion in parts of the Midwest.

season_drought.gif

Link to drought monitor site: http://www.droughtmo...du/current.html

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOT has a good table of deficits ytd on the drought page they set up.

http://www.crh.noaa....=84250&source=0

They have a good write-up.

Tom Skilling posted/aired these % rainfall deficits today at noon.

Rainfall departures from the area: (% for June 1-21st)

Aurora: 18%

ORD: 18%

Valparaiso: 63%

West Chicago: 14%

Waukegan: 12%

Most corn plants are between 6-10" around here. The heat this week has made the leaves a bit drier looking.

Some decent totals out of Indiana from yesterday's storms (from CoCoRaHS observers). Nowhere near enough, but still...

Galveston 1.3 ESE: 1.63"

Fort Wayne 6.1 NE: 1.60"

Kokomo 6.8 NW: 1.53"

Kokomo 6.5 NNW: 1.52"

Bluffton 4.1 N: 1.47"

La Porte 1.7 SW: 1.35"

Kokomo 4.6 ESE: 1.35"

Wabash 7.3 S: 1.22"

Bluffton 3.6 N: 1.11"

Kokomo 7.2 WNW: 1.09"

Lafayette 2.2 S: 1.07"

Yesterday's totals from the four longterm data sites in Indiana...

Evansville: 0.00"

Fort Wayne: 0.19"

Indianapolis: 0.00"

South Bend: 0.29"

Some decent totals out of Indiana from yesterday's storms (from CoCoRaHS observers). Nowhere near enough, but still...

Galveston 1.3 ESE: 1.63"

Fort Wayne 6.1 NE: 1.60"

Kokomo 6.8 NW: 1.53"

Kokomo 6.5 NNW: 1.52"

Bluffton 4.1 N: 1.47"

La Porte 1.7 SW: 1.35"

Kokomo 4.6 ESE: 1.35"

Wabash 7.3 S: 1.22"

Bluffton 3.6 N: 1.11"

Kokomo 7.2 WNW: 1.09"

Lafayette 2.2 S: 1.07"

Yesterday's totals from the four longterm data sites in Indiana...

Evansville: 0.00"

Fort Wayne: 0.19"

Indianapolis: 0.00"

South Bend: 0.29"

Pretty narrow band of precip across the state.. Definitely not a drought buster by any means..

Pretty narrow band of precip across the state..  Definitely not a drought buster by any means..

It's definitely more difficult to get out of at this time of year given evaporation rates and the tendency for more localized heavier precip. Really we need a MCS train hitting all these areas or a tropical system.

12z GFS hints at some widespread rainfall but it's safely into fantasy land.

Yeah I would consider next weekend fantasy land. That would be a nice setup though... stalled out frontal boundary across the I-80/I-90 corridor.

Next chance of rain for this area - Sunday.

Yeah I would consider next weekend fantasy land. That would be a nice setup though... stalled out frontal boundary across the I-80/I-90 corridor.

Next chance of rain for this area - Sunday.

I only mentioned it because it's exactly what we need....and because nothing else is going on

I hope there is something decent this Sat night/Sunday. It seems these Thunderstorms love to fall apart and collapse over our areas of dryness as they should. Consideering drought's promote low sfc dewpoints, High pressure, and capping of the ATM overall..

Saw perfect example of just how dry it is around here. I was heading to the airshow on the eastside of Indianapolis today and ended up driving right into this. When I drove through the were no firefighters on-scene. Kind of scary seeing fire just burning up across an area. Lucky today the wind wasn't any higher.

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-grass-fires-along-i465-on-indianapolis-north-side-20120623,0,1872798.story

Saw perfect example of just how dry it is around here. I was heading to the airshow on the eastside of Indianapolis today and ended up driving right into this. When I drove through the were no firefighters on-scene. Kind of scary seeing fire just burning up across an area. Lucky today the wind wasn't any higher.

http://www.fox59.com...0,1872798.story

This is only going to get worse, especially if we have the torch being discussed in the other thread with low relative humidity. And as a former firefighter, few things suck more than stomping through the woods trying to catch up with a grass fire.

This is only going to get worse, especially if we have the torch being discussed in the other thread with low relative humidity. And as a former firefighter, few things suck more than stomping through the woods trying to catch up with a grass fire.

The last really dry stretch in the summer caused sporadic grass and a few cattail fires around here. I think it was in the mid 2000s.

Drove past several soybean fields and they are pretty short and starting to turn yellowish/brown. Most plants are no more than 3" high.

Its crazy to see that the drought line makes it into southern MI. Precip departure for the year is a whopping -2.13" at DTW and -1.88" at TOL, coming after the wettest (and 8th snowiest) year on record. If this is a drought, what the hell was it like during any of our top 20 driest years?

January was over an inch above normal, you take that out of the equation and we are -3.25" at metro, that being said other parts of the area, especially the East side have really been below normal.

Our friend Debbie and her remnants on tonight's 0Z Euro run.. Nice If it would verify like that and continue to meander north and provide a well needed soaking for our areas..

Will be looking forward to future runs especially since their is pretty much nothing other than extreme heat and this on many of our plates for the upcoming week..

post-1662-0-27979300-1340521125_thumb.pn

What's going to push it out way tho? I don't see anything that will take it up to the O/V G/L region..I think it will prbrly just die out!

Usually those tropical system maintain there connection to the Gulf for awhile, so in the best case scenario - the remnants of Debby would fire off widespread convection for a few days over the area.

Archived