joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2012 Departure Thread DCA

Deck Pic

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to see how much of the - departure we wipe away with this stretch.

I just updated so we have a baseline before the heat wave...-25.5 cumulative through yesterday....probably only a +2 or so today....we could put up a +11 on Thursday if everything goes right...someone asked me earlier if we ever had a cold summer after hitting 100 in June and all I could find was 1925 where 2 cold months followed..

I just updated so we have a baseline before the heat wave...-25.5 cumulative through yesterday....probably only a +2 or so today....we could put up a +11 on Thursday if everything goes right...someone asked me earlier if we ever had a cold summer after hitting 100 in June and all I could find was 1925 where 2 cold months followed..

I believe that 1925 is indeed the champ for lowest average DC temperature June-August after hitting at least 100 in June (100 on June 5th). The 1925 average was 74.9, placing that meteorological summer 87th on the all-time list. 1874 had been the champ up to that point, with an average of 75.1 (85th), after hitting 102 on June 9th.

I believe that 1925 is indeed the champ for lowest average DC temperature June-August after hitting at least 100 in June (100 on June 5th). The 1925 average was 74.9, placing that meteorological summer 87th on the all-time list. 1874 had been the champ up to that point, with an average of 75.1 (85th), after hitting 102 on June 9th.

decent Nino..around average temps..maybe slightly below...average to slightly above snow....I'd take it

Based on -- http://www.erh.noaa....ca/dcatemps.txt -- revisions to the 1925 and 1874 summer averages in DC: 1925 averaged 75.7, making it the 81st warmest summer in DC history; while 1874 averaged 76.4, making it the 58th warmest summer. Also, 1911, which recorded a temperature of 101 on June 11th, averaged 76.1 for the summer, making it cooler than 1874, at the 67th warmest summer. So, 1925 is still the coolest summer with a 100 degree day in June, but 1911 is the second coolest and 1874 is the third coolest, based upon the above table.

We'll see if the heat verifies and if it does how long it sticks around. Now that it's almost July is going to be getting pretty tough to push canadian air this far south but you gotta wonder. NAO going back to -2.0 opens the door at least. 12z gfs is advertising a serious trough during the first week of July too. If (and it's a big IF) we do get a trough like that in July then I think we can say that a new type of persistence is upon us and I don't think there will be a single complainer in the MA.

We'll see if the heat verifies and if it does how long it sticks around. Now that it's almost July is going to be getting pretty tough to push canadian air this far south but you gotta wonder. NAO going back to -2.0 opens the door at least. 12z gfs is advertising a serious trough during the first week of July too. If (and it's a big IF) we do get a trough like that in July then I think we can say that a new type of persistence is upon us and I don't think there will be a single complainer in the MA.

-NAO is becoming less and less of a cold helper and is biased toward more of a heat deliverer as it tends to put a + height anomaly in Dixie. We're still a battleground but usually the heat wins in July and August when we have blocking.

Archived