SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
**New England** summer picture/scenery thread

free_man

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one of Spaulding below the Great Gulf is picture-postcard worthy, in fact better than 99% of such postcards I've seen. And the next one makes my neck ache; reminds me that I had two surgeries there last year.

Prior to the hike, I did an image search for Spaulding Lake and the Great Gulf. One of the results was a pic taken from that vantage point and it pretty much convinced me that I needed to see it in person.

So, Saturday I'm on trail and arrive at Spaulding only to find that the trail runs alongside the lake to the left in the photo. The pic I saw online was taken from the mouth of the river that drains the lake, and in order to get there I had to bushwhack through dense scrub and rockhop about 20 feet in the river, holding branches because the rocks were small and rounded. In short, I had to work for it but absolutely worth the effort ... such a magnificent view and the image I took only partially captures it.

Prior to the hike, I did an image search for Spaulding Lake and the Great Gulf. One of the results was a pic taken from that vantage point and it pretty much convinced me that I needed to see it in person.

So, Saturday I'm on trail and arrive at Spaulding only to find that the trail runs alongside the lake to the left in the photo. The pic I saw online was taken from the mouth of the river that drains the lake, and in order to get there I had to bushwhack through dense scrub and rockhop about 20 feet in the river, holding branches because the rocks were small and rounded. In short, I had to work for it but absolutely worth the effort ... such a magnificent view and the image I took only partially captures it.

You are a hiking addict. The mental image is what drove me to hike the Bonds.

Went out for a ride on the lake aboard the Sophie C. Haven't done this in 14-15 years.

T'was a lousy day, photography wise. Ugly gray sky.

post-18-0-14958000-1346979166_thumb.jpg

The Sophie C doubles as a mail boat, and it's the only floating full service post office. This is stop #1 on the morning route, Bear Island. It does two routes per day, serving 5 islands on each route.

post-18-0-53665100-1346979153_thumb.jpg

Belknap Mountains, the obnoxious lumps that block my wind and screw with my precip.

post-18-0-20219000-1346979173_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-06002500-1346979146_thumb.jpg

Ossipee Mountains in the background.

post-18-0-53323900-1346979139_thumb.jpg

No, I just started hiking two months ago. lol I plan on snowshoeing, but don't know if I'll do the higher summits ... crazy shyt can happen up there quickly and I'm still a rookie.

^^^ Nice pics above, guys! ^^^

Oh haha, I wasn't sure. I'm looking for someone with ~10+ years of experience to take me up there in the winter sometime, probably winter 13-14. Nice pics

An interesting weather day for hiking yesterday. Foggy above 5000' in the morning, winds gusting over 60mph and an impending derecho that was supposed to rip through later in the day. I chose to visit the Castellated Ridge with a loop of Mounts Jefferson and Clay..

On the ascent I climbed the Castellated Ridge, which consists of a number of rock outcrops that lead the way to Mount Jefferson.

post-254-0-91096500-1347190185_thumb.jpg

Looking into Castle Ravine and its headwall from First Castle. This would be my descent route in 5 or 6 hours.

post-254-0-36236000-1347190207_thumb.jpg

Very foggy at 5000' ... visibility down to 30' much of the time. Watching the fog rip by on 60mph winds was interesting. Here I am about to begin my ascent of Mt Clay.

post-254-0-24523800-1347190233_thumb.jpg

After descending Clay, the fog lifted and it was a sunny day. This is a shot of Castle Ravine from the top of the headwall. My path would follow the Israel River in the valley below.

post-254-0-43815600-1347190265_thumb.jpg

Hiking with a full pack over boulders in high winds is challenging. Many times I would try to take a step only to be blown in a direction I did not intend to go. I wish it wasn't foggy - that stretch was a letdown because the views (particularly atop Clay) would have been outstanding. Half an hour after I was back in the car it began to rain.

Full series of pics can be seen at ...

Archived