SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Warm to cool to ? - May Obs/Discussion Thread

MN Transplant

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, in what could be our last chance at meaningful precip before the 4-month humid-desert season officially begins today, Stephens City whiffed again and again. Received a grand total of .40" of precip this week. Amazingly, while rainforest type conditions exist only minutes away, my grass is actually already tinged brown in the usual less-hearty areas. We've been very dry in southern Frederick Co this year. Last April and May we got around 12" of rain before the summer drought began. I haven't been recording this year, but I'm sure we haven't gotten even 4" this year. On the bright-side I won't be mowing much. By contrast, it has rained everyday the last 4 days in Front Royal, just 10 miles away. I was over there on Wed evening and watched it T-storm for 3 straight hours. They haven't received Prince William County-type rain, but they've had a lot.

Watching radar last couple of days made me wonder is the relatively cool waters and east flow on the chesapeake kept a lid on convection in AA, Calvert, St Mary's, etc. The eastern shore had a good cluster of cells that basically hit a wall as they moved east towards the bay. It looked like most of the cells popping yesterday pretty much originated along and west of 95.

I'm sure the location of the ul low had plenty of influence but it still appeared to me that the marine influence of the bay played a role as well.

It probably did have some influence. I thought for my neck of the woods, the POPS were too high each day based on the pattern and time of year so I golfed and fished with impunity. That said, next time I'll probably get caught out in a storm. It is pretty dry around my house and heading into the coming heat, my garden is going to need water.

Was going to go out and water the garden but it is so overcast, so check radar and I see that mess up in PA. Is it wishful thinking to assume it will hold into MD let alone Frederick Co.?

I would say no but since I'm heading to the Keys game, I'll say there is a good chance of it. :) Most forecasts say it dries up before it gets here but it does have some speed to it. We'll see.

Wasnt sure if this was mentioned or not

... Record daily high minimum temperature was set at Washington

National DC...

A record daily high minimum temperature of 71 degrees was set at

Washington National DC yesterday. This breaks the old record of 70

degrees set back in 1991.

Archived