• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

March 1923 had 35.8 inches of snow in MKE with a low of -3 on March 19th. LOL.

April 1923 had 6.8 inches of snow and May 1923 had 1.2. That must have been a miserable spring.

Even March 1924 had 17.1 inches of snow.

AGW is really taking hold these last few years.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Astronomically more than 1 day left of winter, but it certainly is full-blown late-May weather outside. So I decided to do my annual winter recap in pictures. Of course spring snowstorms remain a distinct possibility, but I made it up early this year nonetheless.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/33379-winter-of-2011-12-in-pictures-se-michigan/

Hit 77° about half hour ago. Lake breeze decided to kick in now. Down to 73° now. Few cumulus clouds are trying to get going west of here.

...Saw a garter snake today in the yard! Never seen one before Easter!

What are the chances that the cool down at the end of this week isn't as cool as currently forecasted before the next warm up? If I am reading everything right, it looks like Indy could be mid/upper 60's this weekend instead of the upper 50's/lower 60's being forecasted earlier and then next week we potentially move back into the 70's.

What are the chances that the cool down at the end of this week isn't as cool as currently forecasted before the next warm up? If I am reading everything right, it looks like Indy could be mid/upper 60's this weekend instead of the upper 50's/lower 60's being forecasted earlier and then next week we potentially move back into the 70's.

This weather pattern has been really screwy since November, so I don't know quite what to expect a week away. I've only been trusting the forecast out to 72 hours since December! lol

FWIW: The 12z GFS sure has/had a cool down in mind after the 26th.

LOT did some analysis on the 7 warmest March's and laid out the facts for April and May. Also went into summer and summarized how those months stood up after a warm start to Spring.

http://www.crh.noaa....=80713&source=0

Doub't I'll ever see a MKE weekend this spectacular in mid-march again.. Got a little toasty out in western waukesha cty all pimped out for the wedding yesterday afternoon but when we returned home to change in to something more comfortable for the reception we were greeted to beautiful 60's like right now. These are the times getting screwed over in early season snows remind me how lucky I am to have the lake close by for free AC a lot of the time through May. Hopefully can tough it through thursday and after that we should be safe from extended AC weather for at least another two months.

Feels like it should be May right now after the torch winter and now the Super Torch in March.. Sadly its not and for the Warminista in Suckville, he will have to look to La Crosse for any heat for the next two months after this torch.

We had planned on going up to eagle river for a week whenever it looked like late ice would be happening up there which is normally at least a week or two in to april. I've known for a week now that we wouldn't be doing that as the earliest we could go is this week and they too were going to torch hard.. looking at the webcams up there earlier today the ice is getting as black as coal on some lakes. That's normally what lake down here look like in a warm and rainy march until now. All it would take is a good rain storm and wind and a lot of lakes would open right up i bet - thats crazy for so early.. I asked an old timer who lives on the eagle river chain of lakes when the earliest ice out was and he just answered me with april 1st and the latest May 13th. He didn't give me the yr of earliest ice out but I sent him an email for the answer to my curiosity. Any guess of what yr it was?

We had planned on going up to eagle river for a week whenever it looked like late ice would be happening up there which is normally at least a week or two in to april. I've known for a week now that we wouldn't be doing that as the earliest we could go is this week and they too were going to torch hard.. looking at the webcams up there earlier today the ice is getting as black as coal on some lakes. That's normally what lake down here look like in a warm and rainy march until now. All it would take is a good rain storm and wind and a lot of lakes would open right up i bet - thats crazy for so early.. I asked an old timer who lives on the eagle river chain of lakes when the earliest ice out was and he just answered me with april 1st and the latest May 13th. He didn't give me the yr of earliest ice out but I sent him an email for the answer to my curiosity. Any guess of what yr it was?

Maybe the spring after the winter of 1977-78.

Just got back from an hour and a half bike ride (took my son) down through downtown La Crosse (Riverside)... Park was packed...you would have thought something was going on, but it was just the gorgeous weather (mid 70Fs still) and a fantastic sunset. It could have been any summer night (except the lack of green trees).

Sat outside most of the day (wife got burnt)...grilled... lot of nice cars driving around all weekend...

You don't get these too often in March especially when 2 A+ days fall on the weekend.

Archived