• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country: Heart of Spring 2012NY + adjacent ON, QC, VT

ALY saying 83 here Monday...beyond that looking like the Eastern trough settles in for the longer term.

I haven't uncovered the central a/c unit yet. Muggy Monday I guess, but if I can endure that, probably get aways into June with no a/c usage.

I'd go about 90-92 in BUF on Monday. 95 or so in the torch locations of the Genesee Valley..and maybe about 80-85 downtown.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALY saying 83 here Monday...beyond that looking like the Eastern trough settles in for the longer term.

I haven't uncovered the central a/c unit yet. Muggy Monday I guess, but if I can endure that, probably get aways into June with no a/c usage.

Euro cooled a bit...so maybe it doesn't reach 90..but it's definitely buf's best shot at it from this heat.

This month has been unbelievable for warmth in WNY. Lake Erie is 62...the average temp is almost 63 degrees. May will close out very close to the warmest on record.

low of 75 last night at BUF...that's rare any time of year. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the record high minimum for May. We may get cooler in thunderstorms today or the fropa before midnight tonight, however.

Low was also 75 at Dansville which it the first time a low above 70 was recorded in May, the previous record was 69. Hopefully we can hang onto it but I'm not to hopeful.

low of 75 last night at BUF...that's rare any time of year. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the record high minimum for May. We may get cooler in thunderstorms today or the fropa before midnight tonight, however.

Just checked ALB...low of 74...which would tie the May record high-min, previously set way back on May 31 1895. Unfortunately, that's not likely to hold through midnight. We may break the daily record though...which is 69 set just last year.

Looks like BUF's May record high-min is 71 from May 31, 2006

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/climate/buf_records.html

It was some ugly humidity for late May. Thankfully I have central a/c. Too early to uncover the unit, but I broke down and did.

Yesterday's storms were nothing to write home about in this particular spot. Just of those things where the strongest cells bypass your location by luck, etc. It did pour pretty hard.

Just checked ALB...low of 74...which would tie the May record high-min, previously set way back on May 31 1895. Unfortunately, that's not likely to hold through midnight. We may break the daily record though...which is 69 set just last year.

Looks like BUF's May record high-min is 71 from May 31, 2006

http://www.erh.noaa....uf_records.html

Went golfing at Holiday Valley yesterday. I accurately predicted we would be able to complete 3 holes before it started raining. On the 3rd hole green the rain came. Was pretty hilarious. The thunderstorms were definitely severe 50-60 mph winds, pea size hail, with constant cloud to ground lightning. Our restaurant lost power for 10-15 minutes.We decided to have lunch and I said we could go play in Hamburg at south shore it will be dry when we get there. We got there and 5 minutes later sun and no rain. Ah how awesome radar prediction is!

Did you see any of channel 4 (Don Pauls) in house models? Theyre spitting out over 2.5" of rain tomorrow through Sat night. That doesnt include anything after 5pm Saturday or Sunday. If that were to verify wed see significant flooding even with a dry ground.

It's a tough call...I'd go about 1.5" total. The heaviest rain may train just to our west. Someone in southeast Ontario could end up getting 3".

Did you see any of channel 4 (Don Pauls) in house models? Theyre spitting out over 2.5" of rain tomorrow through Sat night. That doesnt include anything after 5pm Saturday or Sunday. If that were to verify wed see significant flooding even with a dry ground.

Antecedent conditions should really soak that up, especially with the duration of this event. Flood concerns seem minimal IMO, That said, I'm hoping we receive amounts on the high end of that forecast...things are extremely dry in my area and we could really use it.

From NWS BGM this morning:

.CLIMATE...

RECORD WARM METEOROLOGICAL SPRING FOR OUR MAJOR CLIMATE STATIONS

OF BINGHAMTON...SYRACUSE AND SCRANTON...

AT THE GREATER BINGHAMTON AIRPORT THE MEAN TEMPERATURE FOR

MARCH...APRIL AND MAY 2012 WAS 50.8 DEGREES WHICH BEATS THE OLD

RECORD OF 50.3 DEGREES SET JUST TWO YEARS AGO IN 2010. AT THE

SYRACUSE AIRPORT...HANCOCK FIELD...THE MEAN TEMPERATURE FOR

MARCH...APRIL AND MAY 2012 WAS 52.2 DEGREES WHICH BEATS THE OLD

RECORD OF 51.2 SET ALL THE WAY BACK IN 1921. AT THE SCRANTON

/WILKES-BARRE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...THE MEAN TEMPERATURE FOR

MARCH...APRIL AND MAY WAS 54.1 DEGREES WHICH BREAKS THE OLD SPRING

RECORD OF 53.8 DEGREES ALSO SET WAY BACK IN 1921.

THE SPRING WAS CHARACTERIZED BY AN UNUSUALLY WARM MARCH WHICH WAS

AROUND 12 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL AT ALL THREE CLIMATE STATIONS. IN

FACT...MARCH WAS WARMER THAN APRIL AT THESE STATIONS WHICH HAS NEVER

BEEN RECORDED BEFORE. APRIL WAS GENERALLY NEAR OR SLIGHTLY BELOW

NORMAL AT ALL THREE STATIONS. THEN MAY TURNED OUT TO BE ONE OF THE

WARMEST MAYS ON RECORD FOR EACH STATION RUNNING AROUND 6 DEGREES

ABOVE NORMAL.

THIS COMBINATION OF A TRULY HISTORIC WARM MARCH AND A VERY WARM

MAY ARE THE MAJOR FACTORS IN THIS HISTORIC RECORD WARM SPRING. THE

OUTLOOK FOR THE SUMMER MONTHS FOR CENTRAL NEW YORK AND NORTHEAST

PENNSYLVANIA IS CALLING FOR A MORE NORMAL SUMMER REGARDING

TEMPERATURES AND PRECIPITATION.

Does anyone have a link to the summer outlook?

Archived