• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 31st - Potential Wintry Precip (formerly the March Torch Thread)

tornadojay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all comes to an end next week.

Except not. In case you haven't noticed, we are entering the warm season. Avg high going in to April 1 in NYC is 56F. With basically no snow within 500+ miles of NYC, any cold air that reaches us will be moderated significantly.

Winter is over. Deal.

Except not. In case you haven't noticed, we are entering the warm season. Avg high going in to April 1 in NYC is 56F. With basically no snow within 500+ miles of NYC, any cold air that reaches us will be moderated significantly.

Winter is over. Deal.

I don't think he was insinuating any hope of a return to winter weather. Even with it being average to slightly above average, the next week is certainly going to feel cool compared to this spell of warm weather we've been experiencing.

I don't think he was insinuating any hope of a return to winter weather. Even with it being average to slightly above average, the next week is certainly going to feel cool compared to this spell of warm weather we've been experiencing.

We've been torching essentially non-stop since Mar 2010 with a few gaps here and there (Dec/Jan 10/11). There is absolutely nothing to indicate that the torch "ends" in terms of a running departure over mean temps anytime soon.

In other words, it doesn't end next week. There is a brief pause (which will bring us to only a few degrees above normal) and then torch resumes. At this point with the total decimation of snowcover to our north, torch begets torch.

We've been torching essentially non-stop since Mar 2010 with a few gaps here and there (Dec/Jan 10/11). There is absolutely nothing to indicate that the torch "ends" in terms of a running departure over mean temps anytime soon.

In other words, it doesn't end next week. There is a brief pause (which will bring us to only a few degrees above normal) and then torch resumes. At this point with the total decimation of snowcover to our north, torch begets torch.

Snowlover can correct me, but I think he was referring to this recent "mega torch", with highs continuously 20+ above average. No doubt that it'll continue to run above average. But this historic spell the past couple weeks over much of the US and Canada is indeed coming to an end.

Snowlover can correct me, but I think he was referring to this recent "mega torch", with highs continuously 20+ above average. No doubt that it'll continue to run above average. But this historic spell the past couple weeks over much of the US and Canada is indeed coming to an end.

Wouldn't be surprised if the mega-ridge re-establishes itself in the next couple weeks. With no snow cover AND no blocking, seems rather likely.

I was talking about the recent stretch of 70+ degree temps IMO we will not see temps this warm until May. But I do think that the month of April will be another above average month, but it will not be nearly as above normal as the last few months were. I also think that April will be the start of the end of this amazing 2 year stretch of above normal months and that by summer, we will start to see some good stretches of below normal temperatures.

Central Park had a low today of 62...only 1998 had a higher daily minimum...

March highest minimums...

66 3/31/1998

63 3/28/1998

62 3/23/2012

62 3/29/1998

61 3/25/1913

61 3/27/1949

60 3/31/1986

So 8 70 degree days in March is the new record right?

Wouldn't be surprised if the mega-ridge re-establishes itself in the next couple weeks. With no snow cover AND no blocking, seems rather likely.

Certainly a possibility. Don has been talking about the possibility of a classic April heatwave on the main board. However, it's extremely unlikely next month's departures will trump the anomolies we'll be seeing this month.

I was talking about the recent stretch of 70+ degree temps IMO we will not see temps this warm until May. But I do think that the month of April will be another above average month, but it will not be nearly as above normal as the last few months were. I also think that April will be the start of the end of this amazing 2 year stretch of above normal months and that by summer, we will start to see some good stretches of below normal temperatures.

Reasoning? Lol

We are headed into a possible El Niño and they tend to give us a cooler than normal temperatures during the summer months. And we just cannot possibly continue this long stretch of months with above normal temps. Something has to break.

yea, agree. The euro brings in a robust -NAO, and we are still at the time of year where having blocking would force in cooler temperatures.

Certainly a possibility. Don has been talking about the possibility of a classic April heatwave on the main board. However, it's extremely unlikely next month's departures will trump the anomolies we'll be seeing this month.

Agreed. That would be days of highs in the low/mid 90s, which would be beyond insane.

Good. I'm tired of money flowing toward NJ when our state could be collecting the taxes instead. Atlantic City is a sh*thole.

Really? And the Aqueduct and Yonkers slot parlors are "classy?" AC has come a long way, and it's trying to rebrand itself as the storied destination it used to be. It does have a bit of the feel of NY in the 70s, yes--but there are many outposts of famous New York restaurants, luxury hotels , and even the old neighborhoods have some great spots like Tony's Baltimore Grill, Docks Oyster House, Knife and Fork Inn, Mancuso's Fairmount Tavern and Angeloni's II.

Archived