• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday,June 20, 2013

Thursday once again partially cleared up, and dew points did drop into the mid 50s at my station, and high temps held in the upper 70s during the day. We didn't make it under 60 overnight however but we may tonight with the lower dew point. The general pattern has not changed, with sunny to partly cloudy skies over the foreseeable future which includes the weekend into the early part of next week, with a gradual warmup through highs in the 80s rising to around 90 possibly by Tuesday and Wednesday. Mid 80s on Saturday, upper 80s on Sunday and Monday. Lows after tonight mostly in the 60s that may approach the 70 mark next week to accompany the 90 max possibilities.  No rain in sight, increasing dew points well into the 60s by Sunday.

Thursday's precipitation: 0
June precipitation: 8.31"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 24.68"

Other data for Thursday is as follows: 

High temp  78.9° VP2 (1805)

(RS data not provided till replacement made- it is just too inaccurate right now) 
Low temp  60.3° VP2 (0411)

(RS data not provided till replacement made- it is just too inaccurate right now   )  
Obs temp  67.2° VP2

(RS data not provided till replacement made- it is just too inaccurate right now )

(61.5° new sensor)    
Peak wind gust 9 E (1242)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0510) to a low of 55% (1813)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 67° to 55°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.28"(1141) to 30.16"(0001)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 67.2°(VP2), Clear, Winds 4 E, Pressure at 30.27" and rising, humidity 66%, dew pt of 55°.

Currently at 0244 EDT I have a temp of 61.8°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.29" and rising, humidity 83%, dew pt of 57°.

Radar is showing the usual scattered showers out in sections of the midwest in WI, upper pen of MI, and IA at this time. The building heat ridge will probably block any significant eastward movement of these precipitation areas.

Kevin the "slightly comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
    Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, June 21,2013

Friday was sunny and clear most of the day, warming up into the low 80s but remaining relatively dry. Actually dew point temps dropped from the mid-upper 50s in the morning to around 50 in late afternoon/early evening. They have increased once again now however, up to 60 currently. Probably won't see it go under 60 much now for the next several days unfortunately.  Temps over the weekend will be slowly warming up, mid 80s on Saturday, lows in the 60s, cloudy Sunday but highs up into the upper 80s with more humid conditions, lows upper 60s Sunday night, then highs in the upper 80s to around 90 through most of next week, with lows around 70 to the lower 70s by mid-week as we really heat up - possibly sneaking into the low 90s or highs by Wednesday. Sunny to partly cloudy skies should dominate our scene. What had been a wet June so far is now starting to dry out.

Friday's precipitation: 0

Other data for Friday is as follows: 

High temp  82.4° VP2 (1638)

(RS data not provided till replacement made- it is just too inaccurate right now) 
Low temp  57.8° VP2 (0611)

Obs temp  66.3° VP2

Peak wind gust 8 N (1454)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0740) to a low of 37% (1837)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 50°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.31"(0751) to 30.23"(2028)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 66.3°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.25" and steady, humidity 80%, dew pt of 60°.

Currently at 0440 EDT I have a temp of 62.2°(VP2), (62.2° new sensor), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.25" and steady, humidity 92%, dew pt of 60°.

Radar is showing the usual showers out in southern WI, also what looks like a small MCS around Montreal, and an area of showers off the southern coast of North Carolina at this time.

Kevin the "slightly comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, June 22, 2013

Saturday was mostly sunny and warmer/more humid but certainly not totally oppressive. Tonight it has turned cloudy with temps holding in the mid 60s, dew points about the same value. Precipitation has been moving north through North Carolina and Virginia on Saturday,and is not that far away now in central VA. Numerous showers and scattered thundershowers are expected on Sunday (70 POP) with highs in the low 80s under mostly cloudy skies,and then evening showers Sunday night with lows in the upper 60s (50 POP). Monday should see a 40 POP for showers and storms, partly to mostly cloudy skies and highs in the upper 80s. Lows around 70. Tuesday and Wednesday carry a 30 POP for possible showers/storms,but partly to mostly sunny skies at other times with highs around 90 to the low 90s and lows in the low 70s.Thursday and particularly Friday look to increase our precip chances (60 POP on Friday) with highs in the upper 80s and lows around 70. Still chances of showers/storms over the next weekend (30-40 POP) with highs in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 60s to around 70.

On the thermometer "front", I did get a replacement RadioShack thermometer to take the place of the old one which has grown out of calibration. I am in the process of testing it now, prior to installation in its permanent home in the backyard radiation shield. The temporary testing location is just outside my kitchen window next to the Taylor thermometer I have also been testing. Their readings so far have been quite close thank goodness. I also got a new Weather Radio to replace the old one which failed some time ago.

Saturday's precipitation: 0

Other data for Saturday is as follows: 

High temp  85.7° VP2 (1822)(new RS data not quite ready yet.) 
Low temp  62.2° VP2 (0427)(new RS data not quite ready yet.)   
Obs temp  72.8° VP2 (new RS sensor 70.1°, Taylor sensor 70.9°)  
Peak wind gust 8 E (2059)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0643) to a low of 53% (1645)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 60°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.26"(1150) to 30.13"(1818)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 72.8°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 SW, Pressure at 30.18" and rising, humidity 79%, dew pt of 66°.

Currently at 0449 EDT I have a temp of 68.0°(VP2), (66.9° new RS sensor and also Taylor sensor), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and falling, humidity 92%, dew pt of 66°.

Radar is showing the usual showers out in southern WI, along with showers in parts of central VA and NC,heading north so we should be getting rain here within the next few hours.

Kevin the "slightly comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday started cloudy in the morning, with light rain falling 0940-1045 according to my datalogger (I was asleep of course) then had partial afternoon clearing, turning quite warm and humid with highs up in the mid 80s. Lows tonight under clearing skies are holding in the low 70s so far, but should drop into the upper 60s by morning. Partly to mostly cloudy skies on Monday, highs in the mid-upper 80s with a 40 POP for showers and storms, continuing into the evening. Tuesday should reach 90 with a 30 POP for showers/storms. Wednesday should be our only totally dry day of the week, with highs in the low 90s, our hottest day of the week also. Lows this week should mostly be around 70 to the low 70s. Thursday should increase our chances for showers/storms, highs around 90. Friday should be our greatest chances for showers/storms this week (60 POP) with highs in the upper 80s. Still chances for showers/storms over the weekend, but in the 30-40 POP range.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.14" (LR) 0.10" (VP2) 0.15" Max rain rate @ 1030
June precipitation: 8.45"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 24.82"

Other data for Sunday is as follows: 

High temp  85.6° VP2 (1822)(new RS 84.9° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.) 
Low temp  67.4° VP2 (0524)(new RS 66.7° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.)    
Obs temp  74.1° VP2 (new RS sensor 72.1°, Taylor sensor 72.1°)  
Peak wind gust 7 NE (1326)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (1111) to a low of 61% (1834)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 65°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(0136) to 30.07"(1810)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 74.1°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and rising, humidity 88%, dew pt of 70°.

Currently at 0247 EDT I have a temp of 71.6°(VP2), (70.2° new RS sensor and also Taylor sensor), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.11" and falling, humidity 93%, dew pt of 70°.

Radar is showing a few isolated, mostly dying showers in the region.

Kevin the "slightly uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Monday started out clear/sunny, very warm and humid with dew points rising into the 70s and temps approaching 90. Then a line of storms/showers whose most notable aspect was to lower the temps from those muggy upper 80s to muggy lower 70s in a short time, around 4 PM. Severe thunderstorm watch was posted first in the early afternoon then as the storms approached a severe thunderstorm warning went up. But to me, it was a garden variety thunderstorm here, with only about a quarter inch of rain, a PWG of only 14 MPH just ahead of the rain, and moderate lightning and thunder. Temps remained in the 70s the rest of the afternoon into the evening and have now dropped in the early Tuesday morning hours into the upper 60s.  We'll pretty much do the same thing on Tuesday and the rest of the week, with a 30 POP for showers/storms on Tue and Wed, then a 40 POP on Thursday and a 60 POP on Friday. Temps should rise into the upper 80s/low 90s, depending on how much cloudiness we get. At night we should drop into the upper 60s to lower 70s most nights this week. Over the weekend we should cool off a bit, with highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s with still a 30 POP for showers/storms.

Monday's precipitation: 0.22" (LR) 0.28" (VP2) 3.13" Max rain rate @ 1616  (using the VP2 precip amount in this case today)
June precipitation: 8.73"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.10"

Other data for Monday is as follows: 

High temp  88.6° VP2 (1530)(new RS 90.9° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.) 
Low temp  68.8° VP2 (2359)(new RS 68.2° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.)    
Obs temp  68.9° VP2 (new RS sensor 68.2°, Taylor sensor 68.5°)  
Peak wind gust 14 N (1602)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0738) to a low of 55% (1834)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 65°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(0136) to 30.07"(1523)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 68.9°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.05" and steady, humidity 94%, dew pt of 67°.

Currently at 0217 EDT I have a temp of 67.7°(VP2), (67.3° new RS sensor and also Taylor sensor), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.03" and falling, humidity 96%, dew pt of 67°.

Radar is showing one lonely isolated, mostly dying shower in the region.

Kevin the " uncomfortable " Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tuesday was a sunny and hot one. Storms building in OH moved quickly through PA this evening, and paid us a quick visit late this evening around 2230-2300. Not much rain, a decent wind for me (reports of 78 MPH gusts up in the mtns to my NW at a weather friend's station) and moderate lightning/thunder. Now it is clear and muggy out there with temps in the upper 60s. More showers and storms up in OH and PA right now that look pretty impressive, and might move down to our region by morning to give us some earlier rain not really officially forecasted for that time of day on Wednesday - but with a 50 POP for showers and storms I think they will be covered adequately. Highs on Wednesday around a muggy 90. Thursday looks like a bit better of a chance (60 POP) with highs in the upper 80s. Lows this week will mostly be in the upper 60s to lower 70s. Friday looks to be partly cloudy with highs in the mid 80s and a 40 POP for showers/storms.  Right now Saturday looks to be the better of the weekend days, with partly to mostly sunny skies and highs in the mid 80s, lows in the 60s. Sunday looks to have more clouds than sun and a 60 POP for showers/storms. Monday also as we head into the steamy month of July.

Must have been partially sleep-walking through my post last night- corrections in bold to the record for yesterday, Monday, June 24, 2013:
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0738) to a low of 55% (1523)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 67°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.13"(1108) to 30.03"(2104) 

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.14" (LR) 0.10" (VP2)   2.13" Max rain rate @ 2257 
June precipitation: 8.87"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.24"

Other data for Tuesday is as follows: 

High temp  91.1° VP2 (1822)(new RS 90.3° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.) 
Low temp  66.8° VP2 (0553)(new RS 66.4° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.)    
Obs temp  70.7° VP2 (new RS sensor 70.0°, Taylor sensor 70.2°)  
Peak wind gust 23 N (2229)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0743) to a low of 56% (1811)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 63°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.05"(0000) to 29.89"(1913)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 70.7°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 29.92" and steady, humidity 92%, dew pt of 68°.

Currently at 0250 EDT I have a temp of 68.2°(VP2), (67.6° new RS sensor and also Taylor sensor), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.91" and falling, humidity 95%, dew pt of 67°.

Radar is showing considerable rain shower and thunderstorm activity out in OH streaming once again through western and central PA. Doesn't seem to be moving as fast as our previous line, nor have as much a southward turn to it, but we certainly could get some morning rain out of it.

Kevin the " uncomfortable " Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wednesday was another sunny, hot and humid day, just one in a growing line this month. And another day with early evening rain that was brief but came down fast for a short period. Fourth day in a row with measurable precip, and now a total of 11 days during the month. I didn't quite make 90, as clouds came in just before the time when I usually record my high temperature for the day. Tonight temps have held in the 70s till now, but should drop into the upper 60s by morning. Patchy fog possible, air temp and dew pt temp essentially the same. Thursday we have a 70 POP for showers/storms, some possibly severe from a LOW out in the midwest that has quite a bit of convective activity with it that is headed this way. Lots of wind damage being reported in sections of the lower midwest around KY, TN, and other states in the region. High temps should be generally in the upper 80s through Saturday, with good to great chances of rain showers/storms each day well into next week. Lows should be in the upper 60s to lower 70s. Dew points about the same. A 60 POP for showers/storms on Friday, a 40 POP on Saturday, a 60 POP on Sunday, 70 on Monday, 80 on Tuesday and 40 on Wednesday. Sunday through Wednesday with all the clouds and rain around, our max temps should only top out in the mid 80s. Already above 9 inches of rain for the month after today's total, and with good-great chances the rest of the month I should easily go over 10 inches for the month, which may wind up as my third or possibly second wettest June ever. Stay tuned for the final statistics coming in a few days! And a steamy, wet start for July!

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.37" (LR)  0.34" (VP2)  

4.03"/hour Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1756 
June precipitation: 9.24"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.61"

Other data for Wednesday is as follows: 

High temp  88.1° VP2 (1532)(new RS 90.7° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.) 
Low temp  66.5° VP2 (0607)(new RS 66.6° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.)    
Obs temp  71.6° VP2 (new RS sensor 70.7°, Taylor sensor 70.9°)  
Peak wind gust 8 E (1541)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0645) to a low of 61% (1533)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 77° to 65°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.92"(0127) to 29.82"(1607)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 71.6°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.83" and steady, humidity 96%, dew pt of 70°.

Currently at 0244 EDT I have a temp of 69.5°(VP2), (69.1° new RS sensor and also Taylor sensor), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.82" and falling, humidity 96%, dew pt of 68°.

Radar is showing considerable rain shower and thunderstorm activity a bit further south than last night, in KY and WV mostly,  headed this way for Thursday afternoon and evening.

Kevin the " uncomfortable " Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday was partly cloudy, quite humid, but a bit cooler than it has been - must have been due to the cloud cover at key times. Rain showers moved into the area but found their way elsewhere with no rain falling at my station. There was a tornado watch out for most of the day, but no tornadoes formed within the considerably large watch area in the region. Interesting cloud formations observed on the way home from the office in the early evening.  Tomorrow should be partly to mostly cloudy, a 60 POP for showers/storms, and a high in the upper 80s. Lows over the next several nights should be in the upper 60s to lower 70s. Saturday should be similar, with a 50 POP for showers/storms. Sunday should be mostly cloudy, a 60 POP for showers/storms, wrapping up a very wet month of June. July gets a wet start, with an 80 POP for showers/storms on Monday with highs in the lower 80s, lows in the upper 60s.  Tuesday and Wednesday look to have a 50 POP for showers/storms, with highs in the mid 80s. First outlook at the Fourth of July forecast- perhaps only a 30 POP for showers/storms with highs in the mid-upper 80s.

June precipitation: 9.24"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.61"

High temp  80.7° VP2 (1425)(new RS 86.9° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.) 
Low temp  66.5° VP2 (0529)(new RS 67.9° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.)    
Obs temp  71.6° VP2 (new RS sensor 70.7°, Taylor sensor 70.9°)  
Peak wind gust 11 W (1730)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0630) to a low of 77% (1741)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 68°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.84"(0023) to 29.62"(1607)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 74.4°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the WSW, Pressure at 29.64" and steady, humidity 90%, dew pt of 71°.

Currently at 0225 EDT I have a temp of 72.3°(VP2), (70.7° new RS sensor and also Taylor sensor), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from SW, Pressure at 29.59" and falling, humidity 92%, dew pt of 70°.

Radar is showing the spinning area of considerable rain shower and thunderstorm activity from several hours ago tracking through central NY State and central New England at this time. One lone solitary light shower is tracking SE through central VA. .

Kevin the " uncomfortable " Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, June 28, 2013

Friday was a bit sunnier and warmer than Thursday, and a warmer overnight with no rain yesterday to cool us off. However clouds did roll in mid-afternoon and I did get a brief thundershower around 3:30 PM. Tonight the skies have cleared, and the temps are in the upper 60s once again. We might get down to around 66 by sunrise. Saturday should find sunny to partly cloudy skies, warm and humid as usual, with high temps in the mid-upper 80s and a 40 POP for showers/storms scattered about.  A 40 POP on Saturday night, lows in the upper 60s, then partly cloudy to cloudy on Sunday, a 50 POP for showers/storms, warm and humid with highs in the mid 80s. A 60 POP for showers Sunday night, lows in the upper 60s then cloudy with numerous showers/thundershowers on Monday (80 POP) and a high in the low 80s. More of the same the rest of July 4th week through Thursday, with a 70 POP on Tuesday, 60 POP on Wednesday, 50-40 POP on the Fourth, then partly cloudy and dry on Friday with highs in the mid-upper 80s. Lows for the most part should be in the upper 60s to lower 70s, depending on how much moisture and clouds we are under the influence of.

Hopefully on Saturday afternoon I will have my new Radio Shack temperature sensor properly installed in the Radiation shield in the backyard which then should compare much more favorably with the VP2 temperature readings.

I noticed that I had pretty low barometric pressure readings on Friday. Must be that spinning area of LOW pressure near us - there is nothing wrong with my pressure sensor - other stations closeby were experiencing similar values around 29.55" on Friday. Just wanted to note that - I don't believe those values are very common for late June in this area.

Friday's precipitation: 0.13" (LR) 0.15" (VP2) 4.92"/hr max rain rate (MRR) @ 1527 (using the slightly higher VP2 amount for my official total)
June precipitation: 9.39"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.76"

High temp  84.4° VP2 (1430)(new RS 89.4° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.) 
Low temp  69.5° VP2 (0554)(new RS 68.7° - still unofficial - not properly sited yet.)    
Obs temp  71.9° VP2 (new RS sensor 71.8°, Taylor sensor 71.6°)  
Peak wind gust 8 SE (1312)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0707) to a low of 66% (1439)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 65°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.64"(0000) to 29.49"(1723)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 71.9°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the ENE, Pressure at 29.57" and steady , humidity 86%, dew pt of 68°.

Currently at 0425 EDT I have a temp of 67.4°(VP2), (66.4° new RS sensor and 66.6° Taylor sensor), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.54" and steady, humidity 93%, dew pt of 65°.

Radar is showing widely scattered light showers left over from the big action of the day on Friday. They continue to lessen in size and strength as the cooling, more stable air of the overnight continue to work on the diminishing shower areas.

Kevin the " uncomfortable " Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, June 29, 2013

Saturday was generally sunnier and warmer than Friday, a bit drier with actual blue skies observed during the mid-afternoon. With the drier air the morning low was a bit lower, into the mid 60s with dew points dropping into the low 60s.  Tonight the temperature has held in the 70s so far, but should drop into the upper 60s by morning. Cloudy skies tonight and should carry through the next several days with high temps only in the low-mid 80s and lows in the upper 60s to low 70s. A 70 POP for rain showers/storms on Sunday, rising to a 90 POP on Sunday night, then an 80 POP on Monday, 60 on Tuesday, 50 on Wednesday, and a 40 POP as of now for the Fourth of July. A very wet transition from June into July this year. Some of the rain showers and storms will be very heavy and may lead to some flooding at times.  A Flash Flood Watch has just been posted.

Who can forget the derecho we experienced one year ago today?

On Saturday afternoon I had my friend Rick over to help me properly install my new Radio Shack temperature sensor in the Radiation shield in the backyard which has so far compared much more favorably with my VP2 temperature readings. There was room inside the sheild for the Taylor sensor also so that went in there also. Pretty nice time out in the backyard, weatherwise.

June precipitation: 9.39"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.76"

High temp  86.8° VP2 (1430)(new RS M° - installation day so data record was incomplete)
Low temp  69.5° VP2 (0554)(new RS M° - installation day so data record was incomplete)    
Obs temp  74.8° VP2 (new RS sensor 75.2°, Taylor sensor 74.8°)  
Peak wind gust 8 E (1328)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0713) to a low of 45% (1549)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 61°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.71"(2344) to 29.53"(0434)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 74.8°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the ENE, Pressure at 29.70" and rising, humidity 86%, dew pt of 68°.

Currently at 0439 EDT I have a temp of 69.7°(VP2), (69.8° new RS sensor and 69.4° Taylor sensor), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.71" and steady, humidity 88%, dew pt of 66°.

Radar is showing just a bit of shower activity developing over coastal North Carolina, and a few areas of light shower activity over sections of central OH and IN at this time.

Kevin the " uncomfortable " Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday was mostly cloudy, warm and more humid - some sun at times in the afternoon but not a real lot. Forecasts for heavy rains to finish out the month didn't materialize at my station - only a few periods of occasional light rain in the evening fell all day. My wife and I travelled over to Baltimore in the late morning/early afternoon for our daughter Robin's 29th birthday brunch, and on the way went through some brief heavy showers along I-95 on the way over. Those showers missed us here in Gaithersburg. Tonight it is cloudy and continued humid,with temps holding in the 70s. We might make it into the upper 60s by sunrise. There is a 60 POP for overnight showers, radar shows showers streaming northward from VA and NC right now that might give us some light accumulations overnight.  Monday has a 90 POP for showers/storms, cloudy with highs in the low 80s to start the month of July on a wet note. We are under a Flash Flood Watch through Monday evening - the way it is looking that might be extended. Monday night into Tuesday there is a 70 POP for showers/storms, then a 50 POP for showers/storms on Wednesday, dropping to a 40 POP on Wednesday evening. Upper 80s and partly cloudy skies on tap right now for the Fourth of July with only a 30 POP for showers/ storms.  Sunny with highs in the upper 80s on Friday with another 30 POP for showers. Right now it appears that the weekend will be sunny and quite warm, but at least rain-free and allow us to dry out a bit. 

June wound up with 9.47" of rain for the entire month, turning out third wettest June all-time for my station (records back to Dec 1978), only surpassed by the 15.15" in June 2006 and the 10.04" in June 1996. And it turns out to be my tenth wettest month ever (any month). Stay tuned for a list of those months that were wetter than June 2013, coming in my summary in a few days.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.08" (LR) 0.05" (VP2) 0.06"/hour Max rain rate @ 2047 
June precipitation: 9.47"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.84"

High temp  84.3° VP2 (1641)(new RS 85.3° - installation completed and a full day of data to draw from) 
Low temp  69.6° VP2 (0443)(new RS 69.8° - installation completed and a full day of data to draw from)    
Obs temp  72.7° VP2 (new RS sensor 72.7°, Taylor sensor 72.3°)  
Peak wind gust 10 NE (1731)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2218) to a low of 68% (1705)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 66°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.86"(2236) to 29.69"(0350)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 72.7°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.86" and steady, humidity 95%, dew pt of 71°.

Currently at 0229 EDT I have a temp of 71.7°(VP2), (71.8° new RS sensor and 71.4° Taylor sensor), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.86" and steady, humidity 96%, dew pt of 71°.

Radar is showing light shower activity over sections of central and northern VA and eastern NC heading slowly this way.  Overnight light rain is likely.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday started the month of July on a warm and muggy note, with severe weather in the region, flooding rains to my south and east and an apparent tornado about 50 miles to my south in southern Maryland. NWS will survey tomorrow and verify what it was that was widely captured on film. Clouds predominated today, with high temps barely getting over 80, but in my location the rain staying away most of the day, only getting a light shower just after 6 PM this evening. Tonight the temps have hardly dropped at all, with temps still in the mid 70s (and dew points above 70 also) at 2 AM. Partly to mostly cloudy, warm and humid this whole week, with slowly diminishing POPs as the week progresses to what looks like a basically dry weekend.  A 60 POP on Tuesday, 50 POP on Wednesday, 40 POP on Thursday and Friday, and 30 POP over the weekend. Temps in the low 80s tomorrow rising slowly to the mid 80s Wednesday through Friday, then upper 80s over the weekend. It shouldn't be a total washout on the Fourth of July, but the potential still will be there for a shower anytime. Low temps this week look to be in the low 70s early this week, lowering perhaps a bit to the upper 60s later in the week as we start to dry out a little bit...Still have a flash flood watch out for a few more hours in my immediate area, that could be extended if storms form and start dumping again.

June wound up with 9.47" of rain for the entire month, turning out third wettest June all-time for my station (records back to Dec 1978), only surpassed by the 15.15" in June 2006 and the 10.04" in June 1996. And it turns out to be my tenth wettest month ever (any month). Stay tuned for a list of those months that were wetter than June 2013, coming in my summary in a few days.

Monday's precipitation: 0.05" (LR) 0.01" (VP2)  
July precipitation: 0.05"
June precipitation: 9.47"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.89"

High temp  81.2° VP2 (1721)(new RS 81.7°) 
Low temp  70.2° VP2 (0625)(new RS 70.3°)    
Obs temp  75.9° VP2 (new RS sensor 76.1°, Taylor sensor Missing - lost the signal)  
Peak wind gust 9 SE (2012)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0647) to a low of 73% (1736)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 69°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.99"(2353) to 29.85"(0256)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 75.9°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 E, Pressure at 29.98" and rising, humidity 90%, dew pt of 73°.

Currently at 0235 EDT I have a temp of 75.8°(VP2), (75.9° new RS sensor), Cloudy, Winds 2 E, Pressure at 29.99" and steady, humidity 89%, dew point of 72°.

Radar is showing scattered showers all up and down the East Coast. Close to me, rain showers can be found in parts of Eastern and Western PA, and southern/SW VA moving NE.  Nothing looming for my immediate location over the next few hours.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tuesday was another warm and muggy day, mostly cloudy that continues to keep our max temps down. However, temps and dew points stayed in the 70s overnight and I set a daily record with my 73 min, that is a record for the date for the highest min temp (records back to 1979) easily surpassing the old record of 71 set last year and in 1999. By the way, that apparent tornado I discussed 50 miles or so to my south was officially declared as a F0 tornado today by the NWS, doing mostly tree damage in scattered areas of Prince Georges County, the county in Maryland just to my south. Showers, some heavy, fell in the region, but not much here - watching the radar in the afternoon it looked like rain for sure, but I watched precip dry up just as it reached the Potomac River which forms the VA/MD border just to my S and SW. Another muggy night tonight, with lows around 70, then a 60 POP for scattered showers/storms on Wednesday, with mostly cloudy skies keeping the high temps down once again, in the low 80s. But the dew points will still be up, mostly staying in the low 70s. For Independence Day and through the weekend, only a 30 POP for scattered showers/storms, and partly to mostly sunny skies for the most part - high temps in the upper 80s on Thursday and Friday, lows in the upper 60s or low 70s, with high temps over the weekend reaching the 90 mark, lows around 70. Dew points will stay around 70 generally.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.07" (LR) 0.02" (VP2)

(Next chance I get, I have to check out the VP2 - it might be blocked up a bit)  
July precipitation: 0.12"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.96"

High temp  82.0° VP2 (1357)(new RS 82.4°) 
Low temp  73.0° VP2 (2222)(new RS 73.0°)  (Morning low on VP2 74.0°)  
Obs temp  73.0° VP2 (new RS sensor 73.0°, Taylor sensor Missing - lost the signal)  
Peak wind gust 12 SE (1702)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2141) to a low of 74% (1350)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 71°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.18"(2358) to 29.98"(0030)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 73.0°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 2 SW, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 96%, dew pt of 72°.

Currently at
0233 EDT I have a temp of 72.0°(VP2), (72.3° new RS sensor), Cloudy, Winds 2 NE, Pressure at 30.17" and steady, humidity 95%, dew point of 71°.

Radar is showing widely scattered showers all up and down the East Coast. Some action in southern VA and NC headed this way, but they probably will fall apart overnight before getting here.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wednesday featured a cloudy, wet morning when most of our day's rain fell (all but .03" fell between 0545 and 1045 - the other .03 fell between 1630 and 1700). High dew points held all day again, and stayed at 70 or above all day. Partly cloudy skies broke out in the afternoon and sent the temps into the low 80s until those late afternoon showers clouded things up again and lowered the temps into the upper 70s. This evening is muggy and partly cloudy, with temps and dew points holding in the low 70s.  Independence Day Thursday should be partly cloudy, humid, highs in the upper 80s with a 30 POP for afternoon showers/thundershowers. Friday and Saturday should feature mostly sunny skies, hot and humid with minimal chances for rain with highs of 90-95. Sunday and into next week should be partly cloudy, hot and humid, highs in the upper 80s to low 90s, and a 30 POP for showers/storms. Lows most nights should be around 70 to low 70s as the dew points remain high for the foreseeable future.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.58" (LR) 0.42" (VP2)  Max rain rate 0.58"/hour @ 1007   
July precipitation: 0.70"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 26.54"

High temp  82.6° VP2 (1535)(RS 82.8°) 
Low temp  71.5° VP2 (0615)(RS 71.4°)   
Obs temp  74.4° VP2 (new RS sensor 74.5°, Taylor sensor Missing - lost the signal)  
Peak wind gust 6 E (0246)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0928) to a low of 79% (1543)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 77° to 70°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.24"(1000) to 30.16"(0249)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 74.4°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds 1 WSW, Pressure at 30.23" and steady, humidity 94%, dew pt of 73°.

Currently at 0354 EDT I have a temp of 73.0°(VP2), (72.9° RS) , PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and steady, humidity 96%, dew point of 72°.

Radar is showing a few showers to my west in SW and Western Virginia, headed NNE that will miss my immediate area. Other scattered shower activity can be found other places well to my W, SW and NW over sections of TN, KY, OH, PA, and WV all headed NNE and destined to miss my area assuming they hold together.

Kevin the "uncomfortably muggy" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this 4th of July Thursday morning.

Happy Birthday America!

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Independence Day Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day Thursday featured a sunny, very warm, very humid day with only a few wispy cumulus at times. Another warm night last night and also tonight. Dew points continue to stay above 70, so that keeps the low temps warm at night also. By Friday morning we will only be down into the low 70s for the daily low temp.  Mostly sunny, hot and humid on Friday and Saturday, with high temps in the low 90s and lows around 70 or the low 70s.  Sunday starts a streak of 40-50 POP for showers/storms through most of next week, with high temps 90-95 and lows of 70-75.  Still hit or miss variety type rainfall, and of late I have mostly been in the "miss" category, at least for the heavier cells.

High temp  88.1° VP2 (1819)(RS 88.5°) 
Low temp  72.8° VP2 (0403)(RS 72.7°)   
Obs temp  78.3° VP2 (RS 78.4°)  
Peak wind gust 12 E (1658)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0440) to a low of 59% (1814)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 72°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.26"(0921) to 30.16"(1735)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 78.3°(VP2), Clear, Winds 1 NE, Pressure at 30.21" and rising, humidity 83%, dew pt of 73°.

Currently at 0220 EDT I have a temp of 75.4°(VP2), (75.4° RS) , Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and steady, humidity 89%, dew point of 72°.

Radar is showing a good area of showers over sections of central OH and eastern KY at this time. The showers appear to be moving mostly in a northerly direction, which means they won't be getting close to my area at all.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, July 5, 2013

Friday featured more heat and humidity under mostly sunny skies, with some puffy cumulus at times, plus some harmless scattered high clouds. Highs and lows were essentially the same as Thursday. We haven't been below a 70 dew point since Monday's 69. It appears that this streak will continue over the weekend and into next week unfortunately. A dry Saturday, sunny, hot and humid, highs in the low 90s, lows in the low 70s. Sunday introduces a 40 POP for showers/storms, with highs around 90 and lows around 70. Next week a 40-50 POP for showers/ storms most all week, with high temps 90-95 and lows 70-75.  By the end of the week we might have highs a bit below 90, in the upper 80s. So at least we are not having a serious heat wave anytime soon, helped out by considerable clouds during a good part of next week with all the moisture around and the threat of showers and storms.

Friday's precipitation: 0   

High temp  88.0° VP2 (1640)(RS 89.1°) 
Low temp  73.1° VP2 (0616)(RS 73.2°)   
Obs temp  78.7° VP2 (RS 79.0°)  
Peak wind gust 11 E (1436)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0619) to a low of 60% (1651)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 71°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.23"(1003) to 30.12"(0648)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 78.7°(VP2), Clear, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 82%, dew pt of 73°.

Currently at 0437 EDT I have a temp of 74.7°(VP2), (74.7° RS) , Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.16" and steady, humidity 91%, dew point of 72°.

Radar is showing a good area of showers over sections of central KY and TN dumping over to parts of IN and OH at this time. Believe they are headed N or NNE and are not destined for my area at all.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, July 6, 2013

Saturday featured sunny skies, even more heat and moderately high humidity, with plenty of cumulus around with even some towering cu and cumulus congestus at times. Highs reached the low 90s with lows the same as it has been most of this past week. We still haven't been below a 70 dew point since Monday's 69. It appears that this streak will continue for the next few days, with some hope for a break by the end of the coming week.  Sunny skies with highs once again in the lower 90s on Sunday, but with a 50 POP for afternoon/evening showers/storms. The coming week will remain hot and humid through Wednesday, highs in the upper 80s to lower 90s and lows mostly in the 70s with 30-50 POPs for showers/storms most of the time. Thursday looks like more widespread showers/storms (70 POP) with highs a bit cooler due to the greater amounts of clouds, temps in the mid 80s. Friday looks partly cloudy and drying out with cooler high temps in the low 80s. On the weekend heat and humidity will probably return with highs in the upper 80s and 40-50 POPs for showers/storms.

With my long-time fellow weather observer friend Marty, we visited our fellow weather observer and top-notch amateur forecaster Ray up in Reisterstown (NW of Baltimore) today. We saw his great station where he makes great due with limited resources. We also checked out a few official weather sites further to the NW up in Westminster in Carroll County. Documenting all of these activities with his camera, Marty will show the validity of these stations along with their own unique siting and other problems they try to overcome in their daily data recording activities.

High temp  91.5° VP2 (1641)(RS 92.7°) 
Low temp  73.5° VP2 (0607)(RS 73.4°)   
Obs temp  78.0° VP2 (RS 78.3°)  
Peak wind gust 10 W (1827)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0647) to a low of 56% (1648)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 71°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19"(0822) to 30.06"(1919)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 78.0°(VP2), Clear, Winds 1 SW, Pressure at 30.12" and rising, humidity 78%, dew pt of 71°.

Currently at 0408 EDT I have a temp of 74.9°(VP2), (74.8° RS) , Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.08" and falling, humidity 87%, dew point of 71°.

Radar is showing a good area of showers over sections of eastern KY and TN as has been the case most of this week, along with showers up in the western sections of the Upper Peninsula of MI and light, scattered activity over sections of western NY state and adjoining Ontario.

Kevin the "still uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sunday featured sunny skies, heat and more high humidity, but with an upper level disturbance passing through our area, that was enough of a trigger to have some thundershower action early this evening, prefaced with the usual severe thunderstorm watch issued by NWS.  For whatever reason, my VP2 registered a lot more rainfall than my LR gauge, and am going with that greater amount officially for now for my station for Sunday's total precipitation. I was visiting with my daughter and her girlfriend in Columbia MD (about 30 miles away) during the precipitation (we were in a movie theater when the rain passed through that area of Maryland and didn't even know it had rained till we came out). The rain actually dropped my temps down almost to 70 around the height of the action around 1800, and the dew point later in the evening actually did drop below 70 for the first time since last Monday. Right now I am hovering just below 70, and the dew pt is holding at 69. Probably will bottom out by sunrise in the upper 60s. Monday and Tuesday there is a 30 POP for showers and storms with partly cloudy skies with highs in the upper 80s. Lows around 70. Wednesday and Thursday there is a 50 POP for showers/storms, mostly cloudy skies  and highs in the low-mid 80s. Friday looks to clear out and feature cooler, drier temps in the low 80s, with lows in the 60s. Over the weekend temps should max out once again in the low 80s, with a 30-40 POP chance for showers/storms. Lows still in the 60s, probably mid-upper 60s.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.36" (LR) 0.56" (VP2) Max rain rate 7.38" @ 1758   
July precipitation: 1.26"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 27.10"

High temp  89.9° VP2 (1659)(RS 90.9°) 
Low temp  69.9° VP2 (2354)(RS 70.0°)   
Obs temp  69.9° VP2 (RS 70.0°)  
Peak wind gust 23 N (1749)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2352) to a low of 59% (1733)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 77° to 69°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.12"(0000) to 29.99"(1635)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 69.9°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.06" and steady, humidity 97%, dew pt of 69°.

Currently at 0242 EDT I have a temp of 69.5°(VP2), (69.6° RS) , PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.06" and steady, humidity 97%, dew point of 69°.

Radar is showing several scattered areas of precipitation all around the Eastern US. An area in south central VA, moving NE, looks like it might have an affect sometime in the overnight period, but as the rain moves towards my area, it seems to be falling apart. Other areas behind it in NC, TN and SW VA may work in to the region later, though only a 30 percent chance at this point.

Kevin the "still uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday started out cloudy overnight with occasional light periods of rain, which accounted for all I received the entire day. Sun dominated the scene for the daylight hours, warm and humid. Tonight temps are still in the low 70s, we probably will bottom out around 70 by sunrise. Partly cloudy, very warm and humid on Tuesday and Wednesday, highs in the upper 80s, lows in the low 70s with a 40 POP for showers/storms on Tuesday, a 50 POP for showers/storms on Wednesday. Thursday should cool down a tad, highs in the mid 80s, but with a continued 50 POP for showers and storms. 50 POP for Thursday evening also. Lows in the upper 60s. Friday should be dry and partly cloudy, and cooler still, with highs in the low 80s. Over the weekend this temp pattern should continue, but with a 40 POP for showers/storms returning on Saturday, but dry again on Sunday. Lows mostly in the 60s.

Monday's precipitation: 0.04" (LR) 0.04" (VP2) Max rain rate 0.06" @ 0415   
July precipitation: 1.30"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 27.14"

High temp  85.7° VP2 (1834)(RS 86.0°) 
Low temp  69.4° VP2 (0244)(RS 69.4°)   
Obs temp  74.8° VP2 (RS 74.8°)  
Peak wind gust 7 N (1233)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0456) to a low of 59% (1843)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 69°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.12"(1055) to 30.04"(1740)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 74.8°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.09" and rising, humidity 85%, dew pt of 70°.

Currently at 0230 EDT I have a temp of 72.5°(VP2), (72.5° RS) , PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.08" and steady, humidity 91%, dew point of 70°.

Radar is showing what was an MCCS over Ohio earlier, currently in SW PA about to descend into Garrett County out in far-western Maryland. Lots more storms further back in Ohio.  Not sure if that complex will hold together overnight and give us some rain like last night's showers did.

Kevin the "still uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this muggy Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday AM was cloudy and damp, with mid morning sprinkles observed while getting into my car on my way to the office. Actually did run the wipers on slow setting at times while driving. Gradually in the afternoon we did break out in some clearing, but the predominance of clouds kept our max temps holding in the mid 80s. Tonight temps are holding in the mid 70s under partly cloudy skies - we won't get much lower than low 70s by sunrise. Off to my west out in WV and western Maryland a good patch of showers is falling, and heading east. If it doesn't fall apart in the overnight stable environment we may have some light morning showers out of it. Further along, temps in the mid 80s once again on Wednesday with a 70 POP for showers/storms Wednesday afternoon into the evening. Temps Wednesday night should be in the low 70s once again. Thursday continues with a 60 POP for showers with highs in the low-mid 80s. A continued 50 POP for evening showers/storms on Thursday night with lows in the upper 60s. Friday through Sunday should be partly cloudy and dry, with highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 60s. 30 POP rain chances return on Sunday afternoon. Next week we may have to be dealing with the remnants of tropical system Chantal - stay tuned on that, still quite a ways off.

Tuesday's precipitation: T (mid AM sprinkles)    

High temp  84.5° VP2 (1826)(RS 84.9°) 
Low temp  70.8° VP2 (0522)(RS 70.9°)   
Obs temp  77.1° VP2 (RS 77.5°)  
Peak wind gust 8 SE (1701)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0725) to a low of 70% (1806)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 69°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.11"(1128) to 30.00"(1906)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 77.1°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds 1 SSE, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 86%, dew pt of 73°.

Currently at 0230 EDT I have a temp of 75.5°(VP2), (75.6° RS) , PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.98" and falling, humidity 91%, dew point of 73°.

Radar is showing an area of showers over northern WV and western Maryland, heading east. Might give us some light showers later on in the morning, if it can hold together while over the mountains in between. More showers back in OH and MI that will affect us later on on Wednesday and into Thursday.

Kevin the "still uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wednesday AM was cloudy and damp, with mid morning sprinkles observed while getting into my car on my way to the office for the second straight day. However, I didn't need to run the wipers this morning. <g> Once again we gradually did break out into some clearing in the afternoon, but the predominance of clouds kept our max temps holding in the mid 80s. A complex of storms from the Midwest headed our way through the afternoon and evening hours, but fizzled out and dried up over the mountains to the west. Other storms to our S and SW just missed us earlier in the late afternoon. Muggy conditions with dew points once again remaining in the 70s all day. Tonight temps are holding in the 70s under cloudy skies - we'll probably drop to around 70 by sunrise. Another round of potential showers/storms on Thursday, muggy partly cloudy skies at other times, highs in the mid 80s (60 POP for numerous showers and storms) continuing into Thursday evening. Friday we should dry out a bit with partly cloudy skies and a high temp of around 80, which would be cooler than we have been in quite a while if it pans out that way. There is a 30 POP for a stray shower on Friday. Lows in the mid-upper 60s Friday and Saturday night, highs on Saturday in the low 80s under partly cloudy skies and fairly dry conditions with little chance of rain. Sunday temps will rise a bit more into the mid 80s with more partly cloudy skies and a 30 POP for showers in the afternoon/evening.

Wednesday's precipitation: T (mid AM sprinkles)    

High temp  86.4° VP2 (1640)(RS 87.8°) 
Low temp  74.6° VP2 (0515)(RS 74.5°)   
Obs temp  74.6° VP2 (RS 74.7°)  
Peak wind gust 7 E (1500)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0710) to a low of 68% (1630)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 77° to 71°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.02"(0000) to 29.86"(1810)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 74.6°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.88" and steady, humidity 88%, dew pt of 71°.

Currently at 0237 EDT I have a temp of 73.7°(VP2), (73.8° RS) , Cloudy, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 29.86" and falling, humidity 91%, dew point of 71°.

Radar is showing a dying shower in nearby VA headed this way, crossing the Potomac River at the present time. It might hold together enough to give us a bit of rain during the next few hours. Other areas of dying showers can be found elsewhere in the region, and out in parts of the Midwest.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, July 11, 2013

Thursday AM was once again cloudy and damp, with mid morning sprinkles observed while getting into my car on my way to the office for the third straight day. I did need to run the wipers this morning.  Today we stayed mostly cloudy and late this evening, just within an hour of my obs, storms fired up just to my S and SW over northern VA and southern Montgomery County and have not been moving very fast, so the heavy rain is piling up and Flash Flood Warnings have been posted.  But only light rain and mostly distant lightning/ thunder here at my location. Have had more rain post-midnight than pre-midnight. 90 POP for rain overnight, then 80 POP on Friday with showers/ storms firing up again. Cloudy all day, muggy still with highs in the low 80s. A 70 POP for more rain Friday night, lows in the upper 60s. On Saturday a 40 POP and on Sunday a 30 POP, with highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 60s. Next week we dry up and heat up as well, with muggy highs in the upper 80s on Monday rising into the 90s as the week progresses.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.07"(LR) 0.02" (VP2)    
July precipitation: 1.37"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 27.21"

High temp  84.4° VP2 (1659)(RS 84.9°) 
Low temp  72.2° VP2 (0548)(RS 72.1°)   
Obs temp  72.8° VP2 (RS 72.7°)  
Peak wind gust 7 SW (0107)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0745) to a low of 62% (1700)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 69°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.93"(1134) to 29.85"(0355)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 72.8°(VP2), Cloudy/Light rain, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.90" and steady, humidity 93%, dew pt of 71°.

Currently at 0237 EDT I have a temp of 70.3°(VP2), (70.3° RS) , Cldy/Lt Rain/Thunder, Winds 1 WSW, Pressure at 29.95" and rising, humidity 96%, dew point of 69°.  0.15" of rain since midnight on the VP2 gauge.

Radar is showing plenty of rain showers and thunderstorms in the region, mostly over northern VA and southern Montgomery County MD but starting to spread northward over my area and sections of northern Maryland. Still moving rather slow yielding to copious rain amounts and continued flash flood warnings.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, July 12, 2013

Friday early AM featured significant rain showers and thundershowers kind of left over from the late Thursday evening storm action. Most all the rain for today fell before sunrise.  The persistent cloud cover and occasional rain showers during the day kept temperatures relatively cool, in the upper 60s and lower 70s, a refreshing change. Dew points of course matched the air temps with all the moisture still around.  Early this Saturday morning, it has begun to rain again, lightly but without much showing up on radar. It is measurable, so it seems to be a bit more than drizzle, but I guess it could be called "heavy drizzle". Temps are in the upper 60s and should maintain those values through the night. Fog possible overnight also. Party cloudy on Saturday, highs in the low 80s with a 40 POP for showers/storms. Lows in the upper 60s. Sunday should see more sun, stronger, with highs in the upper 80s. The new week will be depressingly hot and humid, with highs in the low 90s early in the week progressing into the mid 90s by Wednesday through to the end of the week. Lows in the low to mid 70s. Not looking forward to that heat and humidity in the near future.

Friday's precipitation: 0.84"(LR) 1.05" (VP2) Max rain rate 1.21" @ 0317

(going with the Lake Region for my official amount today for a variety of reasons.)    
July precipitation: 2.21"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.05"

High temp  73.4° VP2 (1547)(RS 73.6°) 
Low temp   65.8° VP2 (0720)(RS 66.2°)   
Obs temp  69.3° VP2 (RS 69.3°)  
Peak wind gust 14 NW (1624)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (1135) to a low of 84% (1601)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 65°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.04"(2328) to 29.90"(0000)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 69.3°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 3 NE, Pressure at 30.04" and steady, humidity 94%, dew pt of 68°.

Currently at 0329 EDT I have a temp of 69.1°(VP2), (69.1° RS) , Cldy/Spotty Lt Drizzle, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.05" and steady, humidity 97%, dew point of 68°.  0.04" of rain since midnight in the VP2 gauge.

Radar is showing very light returns in parts of north central Maryland, stretching south a bit over my immediate area. Widely scattered light showers over parts of northern PA and also parts of North Carolina at this time, not terribly organized and diminishing during the overnight hours.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, July 13, 2013

Saturday early AM had some light showers/drizzle squeezed out a bit from our muggy atmosphere. Most of the day was mostly cloudy and muggy, with threatening skies at times that did fall as big storms in some spots elsewhere in the region. Barometric pressure rose throughout the day, so the Bermuda high is starting to fill in as our upper air disturbance moves west, a most unusual pattern.  Might have some fog before sunrise, nothing observed yet, with the temps remaining in the mid 70s along with dew points just under that in the low 70s. Sunday the clouds and fog should burn off and temps should soar into the low 90s. Sunny to partly cloudy skies at times with little chance of rain during the upcoming week, with high temps in the low 90s through Tuesday, then mid 90s till the end of the week, with Saturday around 90 and a 30 POP for showers/storms, but that is a long way away. Hopefully this pattern will break down earlier rather than later, but that remains to be seen.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.02"(LR) 0.05" (VP2) (going with the VP2 for my amount today for a variety of reasons)    
July precipitation: 2.26"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.10"

High temp  84.3° VP2 (1800)(RS 85.5°) 
Low temp  68.7° VP2 (0549)(RS 68.7°)   
Obs temp  75.3° VP2 (RS 75.3°)  
Peak wind gust 8 N (1756)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0801) to a low of 69% (1755)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 68°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.28"(2357) to 30.04"(0000)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 75.3°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 3 ENE, Pressure at 30.28" and rising, humidity 89%, dew pt of 72°.

Currently at 0451 EDT I have a temp of 74.8°(VP2), (74.7° RS) , Cloudy, Winds 1 E, Pressure at 30.29" and steady, humidity 95%, dew point of 73°. 

Radar is showing all clear throughout the Eastern US north of Florida save for some very light showers in parts of northern Wisconsin.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sunday was sunny, hot and humid after some early morning cloudiness with high temps around 90. Tonight it is clear and muggy with temps holding in the mid 70s. The week ahead is quite depressing, sunny to partly cloudy, hot and humid, with highs in the low 90s on Monday rising to the mid 90s on Tuesday and persisting through Friday. Lows will be in the low-mid 70s with patchy fog possible at times. There is a 30 POP for showers/storms on Saturday when a cold front hopefully will be approaching and passing through our area to hopefully cool us off a bit by Sunday, but that may be a bit premature. Heat advisories may have to be posted for most of the coming week.

Sunday's precipitation: 0    

High temp  89.7° VP2 (1832)(RS 91.2°) 

Low temp  74.4° VP2 (0611)(RS 74.5°)   

Obs temp  77.3° VP2 (RS 77.5°)  

Peak wind gust 7 W (1616)  

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0533) to a low of 55% (1802)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 70°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.34"(0936) to 30.27"(1823)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 77.3°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.30" and steady, humidity 82%, dew pt of 71°.

Currently at 0229 EDT I have a temp of 74.6°(VP2), (74.5° RS) , Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.29" and steady, humidity 91%, dew point of 72°. 

Radar is showing all clear throughout the Eastern US north of Florida save for some very light showers in parts of far northern Minnesota.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday was sunny, hot and humid , another in the long line of obnoxiously uncomfortable days during our current heat wave. Temps hit into the 90s after a muggy overnight in the low 70s. There is a 20% POP for showers/storms overnight and on Tuesday and Tuesday evening - right now a few isolated small cells are trying to head south through central PA towards Maryland at this time but if they do reach Maryland it will be in far western Maryland out in the mountains, probably not more than a sprinkle if that. This week features mostly sunny, hot and humid conditions with high temps each day in the mid 90s and lows in the low-mid 70s each night, with some patchy fog possible. Over the weekend we may cool off a bit into the upper 80s to around 90, with a 30 POP for showers/ storms as COLD front hopefully approaches and passes through our area. Lows may drop into the upper 60s.

Monday's precipitation: 0

High temp 91.7° VP2 (1831)(RS 93.2°)
Low temp 71.3° VP2 (0628)(RS 71.2°)
Obs temp 78.2° VP2 (RS 78.2°)
Peak wind gust 7 NE (1435)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0746) to a low of 58% (1836)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 77° to 70°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.31"(0842) to 30.19"(2053)

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 78.2°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.22" and falling, humidity 88%, dew pt of 74°.

Currently at 0158 EDT I have a temp of 76.4°(VP2), (76.5° RS) , Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and falling, humidity 90%, dew point of 73°.

Radar is showing a few light isolated showers over central PA, moving south but weakening, and probably now at this point won't make it to Maryland before dying out.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station reports for Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tuesday was sunny, hot and humid  - I feel like I am in the summer edition of Groundhog Day - same weather every day.... , Tuesday was yet another in the long line of obnoxiously uncomfortable days during our current heat wave.  Temps hit into the 90s after a muggy overnight in the mid 70s. There is a 20% POP for showers/storms on Wednesday - right now a few isolated small cells can be found down in North Carolina, after some big action earlier around Pittsburgh and selected areas in West Virginia. This week features mostly sunny, hot and humid conditions with high temps each day in the low-mid 90s and lows in the low-mid 70s each night, with some patchy fog possible through Friday. Over the weekend we have a somewhat increased chance of showers/storms (40 POP) with highs in the 90s on Saturday, but cooling off to highs in the mid 80s on Sunday with a continued 40 POP for showers/storms.  Next week looks to be cooler with partly cloudy skies and highs in the low-mid 80s and lows in the 60s.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0    

High temp  92.2° VP2 (1827)(RS 93.7°) 
Low temp  74.5° VP2 (0606)(RS 74.5°)   
Obs temp  76.6° VP2 (RS 76.6°)  

Peak wind gust 11 N (1244)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0702) to a low of 49% (1632)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 69°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.25"(1018) to 30.17"(1730)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 76.6°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and falling, humidity 88%, dew pt of 73°.

Currently at 0203 EDT I have a temp of 75.5°(VP2), (75.6° RS) , Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and falling, humidity 90%, dew point of 73°. 

Radar is showing a few light isolated , widely scattered showers over parts of North Carolina, not moving this way.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wednesday was another sunny, hot and humid day - another "Ground Hog" type day like yesterday, and like it will be tomorrow. Temps hit into the 90s after a muggy overnight that only dropped into the mid 70s for the daily low. There is a 20% POP for showers/ storms on Thursday once again - there were a few around the region on Wednesday, but nothing close to my station. This week features mostly sunny, hot and humid conditions with high temps each day in the mid-upper 90s and lows in the low-mid 70s each night.  The shower/storm chances are growing as the week progresses, with a 30 POP on Friday, and then over the weekend a 60 POP for showers/ storms on Saturday, a 50 POP on Saturday night and Sunday, with a cold front dragging through the area, dropping the mid 90s highs on Saturday down to mid 80s on Sunday. Lows should start dropping into the upper 60s. Monday through Wednesday of next week should be partly cloudy and dry, with highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 60s. Dew points will drop from the low-mid 70s this week through Friday into the 60s over the weekend and into next week.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0    

High temp  93.1° VP2 (1834)(RS 94.6°) 
Low temp  74.7° VP2 (0258)(RS 74.8°)   
Obs temp  78.3° VP2 (RS 78.4°)  
Peak wind gust 7 N (1514)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0308) to a low of 48% (1545)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 69°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.22"(0937) to 30.09"(1915)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 78.3°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and steady, humidity 86%, dew pt of 74°.

Currently at 0237 EDT I have a temp of 76.2°(VP2), (76.3° RS) , Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.10" and steady, humidity 91%, dew point of 74°. 

Radar is showing a few light isolated, widely scattered showers over parts of North Carolina, TN and Eastern KY. Also some action over Lake Superior in northern parts of MN.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Archived