Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday June 23, 2012

Saturday was sunny and "less hot" and "less humid" than Friday with no rain so a pretty nice day compared with what we had been having this past week. We broke our "mini-streak" of 3 straight days of 90 or more thankfully. Barometric pressures climbed slowly all day. We probably won't reach 90 again till the very end of the month, at the end of the coming week. Sunday should be mostly sunny and warm, highs in the upper 80s, with a 20 POP for isolated showers/storms in the afternoon, increasing to a 40 POP for rain showers/storms on Sunday night into Monday with highs on Monday in the lower 80s. Lows should be in the 60s. Then two fine days on Tuesday and Wednesday with sun and a high in the upper 70s on Tuesday and low 80s on Wednesday with lows in the upper 50s. Thursday should be sunny to partly cloudy and start to warm up - in the upper 80s. Friday and Saturday should be partly sunny, hot and humid with a 30 POP for showers/storms and highs in the low to mid 90s. Sunday starts July and it looks to start seasonable - warm certainly but not too hot a start to what is usually our hottest month of the year.

Saturday's precipitation: 0

June's total precipitation: 2.11"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 16.46"

VP2 data for Saturday as follows:

High temp 87.0° (1818)

Low temp 67.1° (0619)

Obs temp tonight 68.4°

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the SW (1450)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0816) to a low of 38% (1626)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 56°.

Pressures ranged from 30.03"(2351) to 29.87"(0002).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 68.4°. Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 30.03" and rising, humidity 82% with a dew point of 63°.

Currently at 0435 EDT we have a temp of 64.7°, Mostly Clear, winds Calm, barometer 30.03" and rising, humidity 91% with a dew point of 62°.

Current radar is showing showers over much of Maine, along with some in Northern Wisconsin and most of the upper peninsula of Michigan at this time. Plenty of rain out in the Gulf of Mexico off the west coast of Florida, extending east over parts of the Florida peninsula associated with newly formed tropical storm Debbie, which at last report was stationary.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Sunday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunday was sunny and warm for most of the day, slightly cooler in the early am than Saturday, but about the same in the afternoon. Clouds increased in the mid-late afternoon, with some nice towering Cumulus and even a CB that just missed me to the south around 1800. Heard reports of greater than 1 inch of rain less than 10 miles to my south. I saw the cell develop on radar just a few miles to my west, but then it slid SE and missed my locale. This evening has been partly to mostly cloudy, but with no more rainfall threats up to this point. There still are a few cells in the metro area, but none that will affect my immediate area. Monday should be partly cloudy with highs in the mid 80s and a 50 POP for showers/storms during the day. Clearing off in the evening and cooler, temps dropping in the 60s. Tuesday should be the nicest day of the week, with sun, lower dew points (in the 50s) and high temps in the upper 70s to lower 80s. Wednesday warms up into the mid-upper 80s with sun, then in the lower 90s on Thursday and upper 90s on Friday and Saturday with sunny to partly cloudy skies. Sunday will be sunny with highs in the low 90s. Dew points will rise through the 60s into the low 70s by weeks' end. By the end of the week we should also know where Debby is headed, it is a slow, wandering mover and who knows if it will come close to affecting our area or not at this point in time.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Sunday as follows:

High temp 87.4° (1635)

Low temp 63.2° (0625)

Obs temp tonight 73.4°

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the SE (1906)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0426) to a low of 40% (1507)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 68° to 60°.

Pressures ranged from 30.04"(0108) to 29.89"(2359).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 73.4°. Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 29.89" and falling, humidity 80% with a dew point of 67°.

Currently at 0227 EDT we have a temp of 72.0°, Mostly Cloudy, winds 1 MPH from the E, barometer 29.84" and falling, humidity 84% with a dew point of 67°.

Current radar is showing diminishing areas of showers over a small portion of the metro area at this time. There are areas of showers over sections of PA, NY, and New England, heading E, not moving towards our area.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tuesday was a lovely sunny day with comfortable temperatures maxing out about 80 with dew points in the 40s and 50s after a comfortable sleeping night in the 50s. The last pleasant day in a while unfortunately. though we should squeeze out one more nice night into the 50s overnight. On Wednesday sun and still relatively low dew points still in the 50s but with high temps in the upper 80s. Thursday through the weekend will be sunny and hot, with a 30 POP for showers/storms, mostly on Friday. High temps should be in the lower 90s on Thursday, mid 90s on Friday, upper 90s on Saturday and then mid 90s on Sunday. Not much of a break for the beginning of next week and the 4th of July holiday- with sun and highs around 90 for the start of the week.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Tuesday as follows:

High temp 79.8° (1821)

Low temp 57.2° (0600)

Obs temp tonight 63.2°

Peak Wind Gust 15 MPH from the NW (1315)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 73% (0700) to a low of 37% (1655)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 54° to 45°.

Pressures ranged from 29.92"(0900) to 29.81"(1700).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 63.2°. Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 29.88" and steady, humidity 66% with a dew point of 52°.

Currently at 0224 EDT we have a temp of 59.8°, Clear, winds Calm, barometer 29.86" and falling, humidity 74% with a dew point of 51°.

Current radar is showing continued flooding rains over sections of Maine, with lighter rains over other parts of New England and upstate New York at this time. Of course rain is also falling in parts of GA and northern FL in association with tropical depression Debby.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wednesday started our warm up after one more pleasant overnight. Dew points started nice but are slowly climbing and are over 60 now. One more semi-pleasant night, lows by morning in the low 60s. Thursday should be hot in the mid 90s with a 30 POP for showers/storms late Thursday night into Friday morning. We are in an excessive heat watch on Friday as high temps Friday through Sunday will be in the upper 90s. There is a 30 POP for storms also on Friday afternoon and evening - if they do hit, they could be pretty strong with all that heat energy packed into them. It looks like a big heat wave through Independence Day, with highs each day through July 4 in the mid to mostly upper 90s with a few 100s possible. Now is the time to break out those snow pictures from the winter to help cool off.

Been having back pain of late- so I went in for an MRI Wednesday late evening. That didn't work- I got major claustrophobia and my arms really got tight onto the sides of the tube. Couldn't take a minute of that- and I would have had to remain in there for 25 minutes! Luckily the back pain has eased over most of Wednesday, so maybe I won't have to try anything else. Time will tell!

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Wednesday as follows:

High temp 85.2° (1629)

Low temp 56.6° (0541)

Obs temp tonight 68.8°

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the N (1210)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 83% (0525) to a low of 36% (1619)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 62° to 51°.

Pressures ranged from 29.95"(0907) to 29.86"(0340).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 68.8°. Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 29.93" and rising, humidity 76% with a dew point of 61°.

Currently at 0222 EDT we have a temp of 66.2°, Clear, winds Calm, barometer 29.92" and steady, humidity 81% with a dew point of 60°.

Current radar is showing very light, very scattered rain showers over Northern New England, otherwise the radar screen is clear throughout the rest of the Eastern United States. Looks like the makings of a heat wave unfortunately!

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thursday got hotter with increasing humidity as dew points started to move up through the 60s and air temperatures moved over the 90 mark. We should be over that 90 mark for the foreseeable future unfortunately as we are under a heat advisory for heat index values over 100 on Friday- probably around 105. High temps on Friday under sunny skies should be in the upper 90s. A 20 POP for showers/storms through Friday night, then a 30 POP through the weekend into Monday with highs in the mid 90s and hot sun all around. A continuation of heat and humidity through most of next week, with highs in the low-mid 90s, probably through the Fourth of July holiday on Wednesday.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Thursday as follows:

High temp 92.0° (1639)

Low temp 62.7° (0538)

Obs temp tonight 75.6°

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the W (1228)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 87% (0511) to a low of 34% (1523)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 58°.

Pressures ranged from 29.94"(0001) to 29.77"(2326).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 75.6°. Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 29.77" and steady, humidity 70% with a dew point of 65°.

Currently at 0239 EDT we have a temp of 73.6°, Clear, winds Calm, barometer 29.73" and falling, humidity 76% with a dew point of 66°.

Current radar is showing an interesting, MCCS-looking ball of showers and imbedded storms over north-central PA at this time, moving ESE but will most likely stay in PA, or at closest only brush extremely NE Maryland by sunrise or a bit earlier.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, July 6, 2012

Sorry for not reporting for the past week. I had quite a time of it after the derecho blew through about 2230 on Friday evening, June 29. I was out of power for some 112.5 hours, getting back power on July 4 about 3 PM. Any data for 6/29 through 7/5 will hopefully be posted eventually, at least in summary form, but any questions about it cheerfully answered.

I continue to try and figure out what went on the past week or so, weather station-wise, and get back into the swing of things. At least a reboot/restart of my computer has solved a paste edit problem on my computer I was having! Some progress at least! The heat continued on Friday with the high temp of 96.2 my highest reading so far in July and the second highest of the summer, only surpassed by the 99.3 I had on my "derecho storm day" of Friday, June 29. It was not a daily record however. (But did notice that my high temp of 94 on 7/1 which I had not reported yet did set a daily max temp record for that date). Equally interesting but often neglected by the "media" and record stalkers is my min temp on Friday of 74.2 which was my highest min temp of the season so far. It did set a new record high min for the date, surpassing the old record of 73. I suppose more records will be falling over this very hot weekend. Forecasted high temp on Saturday is 102 (Excessive heat warning has been posted with heat index values expected to exceed 110). But I doubt I will get all the way up to 102, but upper 90s is a pretty sure bet for my station. Lows both tonight and Sat night should be in the mid 70s. Sunday looks to start cooling off a slight bit, with highs in the mid-upper 90s with a 60 POP for showers and storms, which could be severe. Lows should drop into the upper 60s Sunday night/Monday morning, and then the week ahead should have more normal temps in the mid 80s with lots of clouds around and a 50 POP for showers/storms on Monday, a 40 POP on Tuesday, and a 30 POP the rest of the week. Lows each night should be in the mid-upper 60s, as dew points will still be up above 60, but at least under 70 most of the time.

Friday's precipitation: 0

June's total precipitation: 2.78" (somewhat tentative right now tied in with my unsure 6/29 and 6/30 amounts)

July's total precipitation 0.08"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 17.21" (also a bit tentative right now based on figures reflected above for June as of right now)

VP2 data for Friday as follows:

High temp 96.2° (1825)

Low temp 74.2° (0547)

Obs temp tonight 80.0°

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the E (1450)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0539) to a low of 42% (1640)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 62°.

Pressures ranged from 29.97"(1047) to 29.88"(0001).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 80.0°. Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 29.93" and rising, humidity 77% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0517 EDT we have a temp of 75.4°, Clear, winds Calm, barometer 29.92" and falling, humidity 89% with a dew point of 72°.

Current radar is showing a broken line of rain showers stretching E-W across northern New England, southern Ontario and parts of northern Michigan at this time.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, July 7, 2012

I made some progress on Saturday, and have for now resolved my precipitation amounts for 6/29 and 6/30. In an unprecedented move, I used the total amount recorded by the VP2 gauge of 0.86", split as 0.85" on 6/29 and 0.01" on 6/30. This is my decision for now, it is certainly still up for debate, but I must move on and try to complete the processing of my June data this weekend. The heat continued on Saturday with the high temp of 99.1 my highest reading so far in July and the second highest of the summer, only surpassed by the 99.3 I had on my "derecho storm day" of Friday, June 29. It tied the daily record for the date, set twice before - in 1988 and 2010. Most stations in the area hit or surpassed 100 on Saturday - I kept a higher dew point during the day on Saturday which may have surpressed the high temp a bit but I also have a fairly shady back yard and my radiation shield does not get bathed in much sunlight for most of the day. Some showers/storms in PA developed during the afternoon but slid SE and only clipped the NE corner of Maryland, heading mostly to northern DE, Philadelphia and southern NJ. Equally interesting but often neglected by the "media" and record stalkers is my min temp on Saturday of 74.7 (rounded to 75 in whole numbers which is what my historical records are made up of) that eclipsed the old record of 74 set back in 1999. The records for Sunday are 97 and 77 in these categories, clouds and showers/storms may put a lid on the temp rising to 97 in the afternoon, but it could be close, A better chance might be the high min record, as it just went under 80 at 0500 early Sunday morning and might not get down to 77 by sunrise and the beginning of the daytime heating. However, it is possible with a significant rain storm/shower that our rain-cooled air might get down to 77 or lower later on in the day. I will go into all the details in Sunday's report. There is a 60 POP for showers/storms on Sunday during the day, and a 50 POP on Sunday evening/overnight into Monday. Thereafter most of the coming week should be mostly cloudy, cooler, with a 30-40 POP for showers/storms each day - high temps in the low to mid 80s with low temps during the overnight hours somewhere in the 60s as dew points should remain above 60 most, if not all of the time during the week.

Saturday's precipitation: 0

June's total precipitation: 2.97"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 17.40"

High temp 99.1° (1639)

Low temp 74.7° (0630)

Obs temp tonight 83.9°

Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the N (1302)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0655) to a low of 39% (1556)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 78° to 69°.

Pressures ranged from 29.94"(0059) to 29.84"(1828).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 83.9°. Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 29.86" and steady, humidity 72% with a dew point of 74°.

Currently at 0515 EDT I have a temp of 79.6°, Cloudy, winds Calm, barometer 29.85" and steady, humidity 82% with a dew point of 74°.

Current radar is showing widely scattered light showers over parts of SE MI, western and eastern KY, and central PA at this time.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, July 8, 2012

I made more progress on Sunday, with my June data/report now well on its way to completion. The heat continued on Sunday in the morning, as I managed to set my third straight high min record for the date, with a 78 that exceeded the old record of 77. My 95 high temp on Sunday, however, did not break the old record of 97 set back in 1988 and 2007. A lid was placed on the rising temp fairly early in the afternoon as a weak cold front coming down from PA brought its cloud cover and scattered storms/showers to my station and the region. I only got sprinkles mid-afternoon, and the storms went elsewhere. Temps dropped into the mid 80s and stayed there the rest of the day, dropping into the upper 70s in the late evening. Right now there is a storm headed our way, just noted the first thunder and lightning in a while within the last few minutes. No rain yet, but stay tuned. Should stay pretty cloudy during the coming week, with cooler low-mid 80s for high temps and lows in the mid-upper 60s. The front that passed through our area on Sunday afternoon is expected to stall just south of our area tonight/tomorrow, which will not clear us out, and actually give us a 30 POP for showers/storms for most of the upcoming week. Dew points will drop a bit, but probably still stay above 60 during most of the coming week.

Sunday's precipitation: T

June's total precipitation: 2.97"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 17.40"

High temp 94.6° (1456)

Low temp 78.4° (0635)

Obs temp tonight 78.4°

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the N (1319)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0736) to a low of 56% (1337)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 79° to 73°.

Pressures ranged from 29.89"(2224) to 29.82"(1538).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 78.4°. Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 29.87" and steady, humidity 84% with a dew point of 73°.

Currently at 0212 EDT I have a temp of 78.1°, Cloudy, winds Calm, barometer 29.88" and steady, humidity 89% with a dew point of 75°.

Current radar is showing showers and storms overhead and out to my immediate west, so more action coming this way overnight. Most of the severe storms have headed south and east towards coastal VA.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, July 9, 2012

I more or less caught up on Monday, with my June data/report now out to some of you on email, sent just a little while ago. The heat wave has been broken, as our streak of 90 or higher maximum temps has stopped at 11 (days). Overnight thunder about 0200 and 0400 yielded to some light later in the morning rain, and temperatures only around 70 through most of the morning. The front sagged further south, and we had partial clearing in the afternoon as the rain stopped. We will drop into the mid to upper 60s by sunrise, then be mostly cloudy on Tuesday with high temps in the low 80s. Wednesday should see partly cloudy skies with highs in the upper 80s. Thursday also partly cloudy with highs in the low-mid 80s. Friday and through the weekend looks a bit unsettled with a 40 POP for showers/storms and continued high temps in the low-mid 80s with lows generally in the upper 60s to lower 70s.

Monday's precipitation: 0.57" (LR) 0.58" (VP2) Max rain rate: 0.32"/hour @0418

July's total precipitation 0.65"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 17.97"

VP2 data for Monday as follows:

High temp 85.4° (1825)

Low temp 69.3° (0917)

Obs temp tonight 71.7°

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the N (0338)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0957) to a low of 51% (1646)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 63°.

Pressures ranged from 30.00"(2257) to 29.86"(0035).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 71.7°, Scattered Clouds. Winds 1 MPH from the WSW, barometer 29.98" and steady, humidity 85% with a dew point of 67°.

Currently at 0232 EDT I have a temp of 69.2°, Scattered Clouds, winds Calm, barometer 29.98" and steady, humidity 91% with a dew point of 67°.

Current radar is showing scattered light showers well to the south with the sagging cold front, down in parts of southern VA, NC and TN at this time.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tuesday was a partly cloudy day, warm, moderately humid but a second day in a row with less than 90 max temps! Yeah for that! I took a mental health exhaustion day away from work - also had a bit of a bug, no where near as bad as my daughter's girlfriend Karen has had it- they had to spend most of Monday night in the hospital in Baltimore! She is getting better now. Anyway, we were a bit north of the big action tonight - big flooding rains just to my south in sections of Washington DC and other parts of suburban Maryland SE of me. Nothing fell here. Wednesday should eventually see mostly sunny skies with highs in the mid 80s. Thursday should be partly cloudy with highs in the mid 80s with just a 20 POP for an isolated shower/storm. Lows mostly in the upper 60s this week. Friday through the weekend should see mostly cloudy skies with a 40 POP for showers/storms and high temps in the upper 80s.

High temp 87.1° (1639)

Low temp 66.7° (0626)

Obs temp tonight 71.2°

Peak Wind Gust 16 MPH from the NE (1723)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0650) to a low of 48% (1634)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 65°.

Pressures ranged from 30.08"(2222) to 29.98"(0009).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 71.2°, Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 30.07" and steady, humidity 86% with a dew point of 67°.

Currently at 0131 EDT I have a temp of 69.5°, Cloudy, winds Calm, barometer 30.06" and steady, humidity 90% with a dew point of 67°.

Current radar is showing isolated showers in the metro region, with more scattered showers in extreme southern VA and further south in parts of NC and TN along the old sagging cold frontal boundary. Also a few isolated showers around the metro NY area.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wednesday was another partly cloudy day, warm, moderately humid but a third day in a row with less than 90 max temps! Yeah for that! Back to work today, and a nice sky to look at on the way home, with an altostratus deck blocking the sun mostly, but there was that milky sun you could see but safely look at in its muted state. Quite similar temps today with yesterday. We should drop into the upper 60s tonight- dew points dropped a bit on Wednesday, into the upper 50s/lower 60s. Temps on Thursday and Friday should be in the upper 80s, with more sun on Thursday than Friday, but without much of a rain threat through Friday. Over the weekend we should be warming up to highs around 90 with a 40 POP for showers/storms. Early next week the heat looks to crank up a bit with highs in the low 90s. Lows should start rising through the upper 60s into the low 70s by Sunday. No big rain threat looming, just some moderate heat and more humidity as we progress into mid-July.

High temp 86.4° (1642)

Low temp 67.4° (0608)

Obs temp tonight 75.1°

Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the NE (1103)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0700) to a low of 42% (1614)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 59°.

Pressures ranged from 30.18"(2354) to 30.06"(0129).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 75.1°, Partly Cloudy. Winds 1 MPH from the E, barometer 30.18" and rising, humidity 66% with a dew point of 63°.

Currently at 0211 EDT I have a temp of 70.9°, Partly Cloudy, winds Calm, barometer 30.18" and steady, humidity 76% with a dew point of 63°.

Current radar is a few isolated showers in southern VA, but the main shower activity has slumped further south to offshore of southern NC, SC, and GA at this time.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thursday wasn't too bad a day, last good one for a while as it looks now. High temps once again in the mid 80s, with lows in the mid 60s. Going to be getting warmer than that over the next several days, and 90+ maxs are going to make a return to my area. Tomorrow clouds will keep us under 90 for one more day, with a 20 POP for showers scattered around the region. Over the weekend highs around 90 with a 40 POP for showers/storms at times. Next week it looks like more sun to return, with highs in the low 90s and lessening chances for showers. I will be over near Baltimore for a good part of the weekend, starting Friday evening right after work and carrying through to Sunday morning, attending the American Weather Conference at the BWI Marriott very close to the BWI airport. May run into a few of you out there at the conference hopefully. Will have my laptop with me and will post something if I get the chance. I could even access my backyard data through weather underground and make a daily wx post. No guarantees on that; I probably will be pretty busy socializing and enjoying the presentations.

High temp 85.6° (1519)

Low temp 64.3° (0633)

Obs temp tonight 73.0°

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the NE (1557)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0731) to a low of 42% (1618)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 58°.

Pressures ranged from 30.22"(1235) to 30.17"(1807).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 73.0°, Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 30.20" and steady, humidity 74% with a dew point of 64°.

Currently at 0133 EDT I have a temp of 70.6°, Cloudy, winds Calm, barometer 30.21" and steady, humidity 78% with a dew point of 63°.

Current radar is showing some scattered showers over central VA stretching west into parts of southern and central WV at this time.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday was variably cloudy and a bit cooler, but a bit damper, with a few sprinkles falling as I was heading to work around 9 AM. Tonight finds it remaining cloudy, and a bit warmer and more humid than last night at this time. Tomorrow clouds look to predominate, with highs in the mid 80s, humid, with numerous showers and some thunderstorms (60 POP). A 50 POP for showers and storms the rest of the weekend, with highs near 90 on Sunday and a bit more sun, and lows in the upper 60s to lower 70s. The beginning of the new week looks sunny and hot, with high temps in the low-mid 90s, lows in the low to mid 70s, and humid. Somewhat increasing chances for showers and storms later on in the week on Wednesday and Thursday (30 POP) with continued heat and humidity, highs around 90 to lower 90s and lows in the lower 70s. Plans changed on Friday afternoon and I didn't go to the Friday sessions of the American Weather conference up at the BWI Marriott, but will be going there for sure late Saturday morning, arriving around 10:30 AM for the presentations that are slated to begin at 11 AM. I will be spending the day and evening there, may report from my laptop/room if I get the chance. Spending the night in the hotel there Saturday night and will return home sometime Sunday. I probably won't report my Saturday weather from the conference, though it will be on weather underground for me to check on, and possibly post about if I get the chance. May run into a few of you out there at the conference. I probably will be pretty busy socializing and enjoying the presentations.

Friday's precipitation: T

High temp 84.2° (1419)

Low temp 68.3° (0536)

Obs temp tonight 74.4°

Peak Wind Gust 4 MPH from the E (1053) (pretty anemic, even for my station)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 90% (0737) to a low of 52% (1412)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 62°.

Pressures ranged from 30.24"(1227) to 30.18"(2051).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 74.4°, Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 30.21" and rising, humidity 82% with a dew point of 69°.

Currently at 0115 EDT I have a temp of 73.5°, Cloudy, winds Calm, barometer 30.21" and steady, humidity 84% with a dew point of 68°.

Current radar is showing a string of showers from central VA all the way up to NE PA, strung to my west and north, not falling here. More concentrated areas of showers can now be found in central WV and southern VA, moving slowly N and E.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, July 14 and Sunday July 15 2012

Complicated post tonight. I sent out an abbreviated report for Saturday to some of you on email late Sunday morning (but nothing posted here on American Weather), it also was missing some data because I was still at the BWI Marriott through noon on Sunday. I have corrections/additions to what I posted for Saturday. Saturday's full revised post (with some redundant items carried only on my Sunday post below it) now follows...

Saturday was travel day to the Baltimore area and attendance at the American Weather Conference II that some of you out there also attended. My report will be brief today. Saturday had morning showers before I got up at home, 0.42" in my VP2 gauge before I left under partly sunny, clearing skies. The day was partly to mostly cloudy, warm and humid. More showers fell later (0.09" in my VP2 gauge). Partly cloudy, muggy overnight. Sunday should be warm and humid with a 60 to 70 POP for showers/storms off and on during the afternoon and evening. Hot and humid, but dry weather should start the work week, with highs in the low 90s.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.50" (LR) 0.51" (VP2) 0.22" MRR (0656)

July's total precipitation 1.15"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 18.47"

High temp 83.4° (1658)

Low temp 66.7° (0755)

Obs temp tonight 75.1°

Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the NE (0707)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0729) to a low of 72% (1646)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 65°.

Pressures ranged from 30.23"(1057) to 30.13"(1846).

At midnight obs, temp was 75.1°, Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the ESE, Pressure 30.16" and rising, Humidity 89% with a dew point of 72°.

Radar (2300 approx) showed showers out in West Virginia and SW and central VA at that time, moving towards my area at that time.

Sunday was sleep in some at the hotel early to mid morning, saying good bye around noon checkout time to some of the conference attendees that I managed to run into in the hotel lobby, then lunch served by my daughter Robin at the restaurant she works at (PF Changs in White Marsh MD), then travel home to Gaithersburg by late afternoon.

Sunny, hot and humid early through mid-afternoon, then clouds increased from the west as I headed west from Baltimore to Gaithersburg in the later afternoon hours. Skies threatened by 1700 or so and eventually I did manage to get a brief light shower out of the diminishing activity. Continued shower threats during the evening that so far have not yielded anything through midnight obs. What were storms well to my west out in the mtns of WV and parts of VA diminished as they moved east towards my area into light showers that seem to be drying up over my area so far. Overnight we still have the threat of showers (70 POP) with muggy temps in the low 70s. Monday should be partly cloudy, hot and humid with temps up in the mid 90s, with a 20 POP for showers/storms. Tuesday should be sunny, hot, and humid with high temps up in the mid 90s. Wednesday should find clouds, still hot and humid with a 50 POP for showers/storms through the evening, and high temps in the low 90s. Thursday and Friday should be sunny, cooler and less humid with high temps in the mid 80s.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2)

July's total precipitation 1.16"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 18.48"

High temp 90.6° (1631)

Low temp 73.4° (0409)

Obs temp tonight 75.4°

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the W (1748)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0632) to a low of 55% (1638)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 71°.

Pressures ranged from 30.16"(0007) to 30.00"(1647).

At midnight obs, temp was 75.4°, Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.03" and steady, Humidity 92% with a dew point of 73°.

Currently at 0144, the temp is 74.3°, Cloudy with a little light rain (0.01" since midnight but not raining currently), Winds calm, Pressure at 30.02" and falling, humidity 93% with the dew point at 72°.

Current radar shows showers of diminishing intensity moving west to east from parts of WV and VA into my area and off to the E and NE.

That is about it for now, signing off early Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday was back to work day. Overnight had a light shower, and then another light one in the afternoon. But a partly cloudy, hot and humid day for the most part. And tonight it is relatively clear, but quite warm and humid with lows by morning in the low 70s. Tuesday should be sunny, hot and humid with highs in the upper 90s, lows in the 70s. Wednesday another hot and humid one with highs once again in the upper 90s and a 40 POP for showers and storms as a cold front approaches our area from the northwest. A 50 POP for showers and storms on Wednesday night, lows in the 70s. Thursday should see a continued 40 POP for showers/storms - mostly cloudy and "cooler" with highs in the upper 80s. Starting to clear out Thursday night with lows cooling off into the 60s. Friday should be mostly sunny and "cooler" and drier, with highs in the mid 80s. Partly cloudy over the weekend with highs continuing in the mid 80s and lows in the 60s.

Monday's precipitation: 0.03"(LR) 0.01" (VP2)

July's total precipitation 1.19"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 18.51"

High temp 90.8° (1610)

Low temp 70.3° (0617)

Obs temp tonight 76.5°

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the N (1315)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0658) to a low of 56% (1611)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 69°.

Pressures ranged from 30.03"(0014) to 29.86"(1835).

At midnight obs, temp was 76.5°, Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.90" and rising, Humidity 88% with a dew point of 73°.

Currently at 0142 EDT, the temp is 75.2°, Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.89" and falling, humidity 91% with the dew point at 73°.

Current radar shows showers of diminishing intensity over parts of Maine and also south-central TN and northern AL at this time.

That is about it for now, signing off early Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tuesday was "crank up the heat" day in the region, with many spots hitting or exceeding 100° in many locations. Full sun for most of the day, and humid. Clear and warm overnight, with lows in the 70s. Heat advisory for Wednesday from 11 AM to 9 PM. High temps expected to be in the upper 90s to around 100. There is a 40 POP for showers/storms in the afternoon and evening. Wednesday night will be cloudy and muggy, with a 50 POP for showers/storms and lows in the 70s. Thursday looks mostly cloudy, not quite as hot, with highs in the low 90s and a 60 POP for showers/storms. A continued chance (50 POP) for showers/storms Thursday night, lows in the upper 60s and cloudy. Friday should be a bit cooler, still cloudy, highs in the mid 80s with a 40 POP for showers/storms. Lows in the mid 60s Friday night with a 50 POP for showers/storms. Finally on Saturday we dry out under partly cloudy skies with highs in the mid 80s. Lows Saturday night in the low-mid 60s, then sunny on Sunday with highs in the mid-upper 80s. Early next week looks to be sunny to partly cloudy, a 30 POP for showers/storms and highs in the upper 80s to around 90.

High temp 95.7° (1641)

Low temp 71.0° (0635)

Obs temp tonight 80.4°

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the W (1504)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0658) to a low of 41% (1639)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 68°.

Pressures ranged from 29.94"(0934) to 29.82"(1823).

At midnight obs, temp was 80.4°, Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.88" and rising, Humidity 74% with a dew point of 71°.

Currently at 0210 EDT, the temp is 78.3°, Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.87" and steady, humidity 77% with the dew point at 71°.

Current radar shows showers scattered through central to northern New England and New York, central WI through central MI, and a small area in the corner of 3 states (TN, AL, GA).

Kevin Shaw of Gaithersburg signing off early Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wednesday was another "crank up the heat" day in the region, with even more spots hitting or exceeding 100°. A heat advisory was in effect throughout the area. However a cold front started to approach from the north, and storms fired up, scattered about the region. All I got here was a couple of rolls of thunder, a windy period between 1600 and 1630, and a notable drop in temperature after topping off at 96.9 around 3 PM, falling to the mid 80s an hour or so later. No rain fell that I know of, I might have gotten a few sprinkles, but nothing accumulated in my rain gauges. Cloudy and muggy now, with temps having fallen into the 70s but I expect it to remain in the 70s overnight. Thursday and Friday should be mostly cloudy with a 70 POP for showers/storms, as the front stalls out in our area. Highs in the low 90s on Thursday, dropping into the mid 80s on Friday. Lows in the 70s again Thursday night, dropping into the mid 60s Friday night with a lessening 60 POP then for showers/storms. Saturday should be cloudy and cooler, with a high of around 80 and a 50 POP for showers. Lows under clearing skies on Saturday night into the mid 60s, then sunny and drying out on Sunday, with highs in the mid 80s. Early next week temps look to be in the upper 80s to around 90, with a 30 POP for showers and storms returning by Tuesday.

High temp 96.9° (1501)

Low temp 74.0° (0628)

Obs temp tonight 76.4°

Peak Wind Gust 23 MPH from the ENE (1625)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 90% (0727) to a low of 46% (1501)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 77° to 69°.

Pressures ranged from 29.93"(2328) to 29.82"(1439).

At midnight obs, temp was 76.4°, Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.93" and steady, Humidity 85% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0149 EDT, the temp is 75.9°, Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.93" and steady, humidity 86% with the dew point at 72°.

Current radar shows dying areas of showers scattered in southern VA and WV, and in general out scattered out in areas of the lower Midwest.

That is about it for now, signing off early Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, July 19, 2012

Friday was very warm, humid and with clouds most of the day. I had a light shower (0.03" on my VP2) from 0540-0555 EDT, then no more till an evening thunderstorm dumped the rest of the day's rainfall amount. Severe thunderstorm warnings posted for that storm this evening, with flood warnings also posted thereafter that just expired within the hour. Another 90+ max temp day- I have a streak now of 5 straight of these, after having a streak of 8 to start the month to yield a monthly total of 13. The 2 most recent Julys in 2010 and 2011 had 20 such days total, with 20 also in 2002, with the greatest amount of 22 back in 1999. I hope we don't approach those totals this month, but it certainly is possible. The next few days don't look like they will be adding to this month's total, however. Friday looks to be quite cloudy with thunderstorms and showers very likely (90 POP) with possible heavy rains at times, and an 80 POP for more rain Friday night with lows in the upper 60s, then cloudy with a 50 POP for showers on Saturday and high temps only in the upper 70s. Sunday looks to finally have a return to sunny skies, drier, with highs in the mid 80s. Next week looks like a probable return to highs of 90, right around that number on Monday and Tuesday with a 30 POP for showers/storms by Tuesday.

Thursday's precipitation: 1.13" (LR) 0.49" (LR - but with more "rainfall" still accumulating through 0200 EDT Friday, as it appears to be leaking through slowly- we shall see how much more comes through by Friday mid-morning). Max rain rate recorded by the VP2 was 0.42" @ 2135, but that appears to be a bit low IMHO.

July's total precipitation 2.32"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 19.64"

High temp 92.0° (1830)

Low temp 71.8° (2330)

Obs temp tonight 71.8°

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the NW (2135)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2340) to a low of 53% (1640)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 70°.

Pressures ranged from 29.97"(1039) to 29.84"(2115).

At midnight obs, temp was 71.8°, Cloudy/light fog, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.88" and rising, Humidity 96% with a dew point of 71°.

Currently at 0231 EDT, the temp is 70.9°, Cloudy/light fog, Winds 3 MPH from the NNE, Pressure at 29.88" and falling, humidity 96% with the dew point at 70°.

So far an additional 0.21" has trickled through the VP2 gauge since midnight. This is not additional actual rainfall.

Current radar shows our storms and showers from Thursday evening moving off to the east, now over most of Delaware and parts of the Maryland Eastern Shore and southern NJ, heading east out into the Atlantic Ocean.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday was cloudy, damp and much cooler, breaking our 5 day streak of 90+ days spectacularly with a sub 80 max, and a new daily record low max temp for July 20, the 78 max toppling the old record of 80 set back in 1996 and 2009. Overnight occasional light rain showers yielded to a mostly cloudy, low overcast day that could only produce evening drizzle and a few very light showers sprinkled through the day. Friday night continued this pattern as temps dropped into the 60s with more drizzle and 0.01" falling since midnight. Saturday will be another cool, cloudy day with highs once again in the 70s and a 50 POP for showers. Clouds look to continue to dominate our patterns the rest of the weekend and into early next week, with temps warming into the 80s and rain chances diminishing to very minimal on Sunday and Monday. Temps should once again reach 90 by Tuesday with a 30 POP for showers and storms on Tuesday. Wednesday we should see a return to sunny skies with highs in the mid-upper 80s. Later on in the week a 30 POP for showers/storms returns with partly cloudy skies and highs around 90.

Friday's precipitation: 0.10" (LR) 0.34" (LR - but with the "rainfall" accumulating through till about 0530 EDT Friday, going to try to get to this apparently leaking problem this weekend hopefully). Max rain rate recorded by the VP2 was 0.21" @ 0002.

July's total precipitation 2.42"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 19.74"

High temp 78.2° (1603)

Low temp 68.2° (2358)

Obs temp tonight 68.2°

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the NE (1931)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0624) to a low of 86% (1609)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 65°.

Pressures ranged from 30.01"(2344) to 29.86"(0335).

At midnight obs, temp was 68.2°, Cloudy/drizzle/fog, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.00" and steady, Humidity 91% with a dew point of 66°.

Currently at 0504 EDT, the temp is 64.8°, Cloudy/light rain, Winds 1 MPH from the NE, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 96% with the dew point at 64°.

Current radar shows scattered light showers and light drizzle over the region, including a light shower occurring at my location at this time.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for now early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday was cloudy, damp and continued unseasonably cool, setting another new daily record low max temp for the day. More spectacularly than yesterday the 68 max today toppled the old record of 77 set back in 1984 by 9 degrees. (Note that 8 days in July now have low max records in the 60s, topped by the 64 recorded back on July 13, 1990.) My friend Rick Holden came over and helped me out with a few problems/projects in my backyard with my weather station setup. One was to help me clean out my VP2 rain gauge, which had gotten clogged with leaf matter that got through the screen, which I didn't realize that it would do, especially to the extent that it did, completely blocking the orifice that dumps the rain into the measuring tipping spoons. The water was all backed up into the funnel, and I took a pine needle to get the orifice (rather small to say the least) cleared out. Now it is reading correctly again, and I have to check it more often to make sure the hole stays clear. The other project was re-establishing my Radio Shack (R.S.) digital thermometer as backup to my VP2 system. Rick took apart the radiation shield that the R.S. sensor is in, so we could replace the batteries that had died, and also to hit all the resets properly (on both the sensor and the display) to get it running properly again. Right now the difference between the R.S. and the VP2 is running 0.3° apart (R.S. running warmer consistently so far). I will start reporting the R.S. sensor readings tomorrow, as I just have the obs temp reading today. The rainfall for Saturday was not recorded accurately on the VP2 today, most of it fell in the overnight hours, but a steady drizzle/light sprinkles kept things damp all day. Occasional fog also, as dew point temps were very close to the air temperatures. Tonight has kep this up, with clouds and occasional spotty drizzle/sprinkles have continued with temps holding firm in the mid 60s. Sunday should see warmer temps and a return into the 80s, with a gradual decrease in clouds as the day progresses. Sunday night should be somewhat cloudy, with lows in the low 70s. Monday should see clouds and a 50 POP for showers/storms with highs up into the low 90s. Tuesday and Wednesday should see partly cloudy to sunny skies, with highs in the upper 80s to around 90. The end of the week should see party to mostly cloudy skies, very warm and humid with highs around 90 to the low 90s, and a 30 POP for showers/storms. Other than lows in the upper 60s on Wednesday night, lows the rest of the week should range from 70 to 75.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.57" (LR) Missing (LR) - but will return tomorrow

July's total precipitation 2.99"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.31"

High temp 68.2° (0000)

Low temp 63.4° (0720)

Obs temp tonight 67.0° (VP2) 67.3° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the NE (0009)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0632) to a low of 91% (0000)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 67° to 62°.

Pressures ranged from 30.15"(2343) to 30.00"(0300).

At midnight obs, temp was 67.0°(VP2)/67.3°(R.S.), Cloudy with spotty drizzle/fog, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.15" and steady, Humidity 97% with a dew point of 66°.

Currently at 0602 EDT, the temp is 67.0°(VP2)/67.3°(R.S.),, Cloudy/fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.15" and steady, humidity 98% with the dew point at 67°.

Current radar shows all significant rain out of the area (spotty area drizzle not picked up well by radar) with rain showers and storms moved south into parts of North Carolina at this time.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday warmed up back into the 80s, barely, so no more record low max temps for July 22. It would have taken some doing- the record low max for July 22 is 69 set back in 1996. But 81 is still below normal, so I will gladly take it. It was a muggy day, with clouds and spotty light rain/drizzle/fog during the early AM hours gradually lifting out and turning into a partly cloudy day. More clouds than sun for most of the upcoming week, except for a dry day with partly cloudy skies and highs in the mid-upper 80s on Wednesday. Other days should be around 90 into the low 90s with a 30-40 POP for showers/storms scattered about the region on all the other days of the week. My first day of Radio Shack (R.S.) max/min temps has completed, results shown below. So far, so good. Busy week ahead, with a great weekend planned coming up on July 28-29, with a big weather party on Saturday at my friend Herb Close's and my 62nd birthday on Sunday. So far it looks like the weekend won't be too brutally hot, highs around 90 on Sat with a 30 POP for showers/storms, and partly cloudy, dry with highs in the upper 80s for my birthday.We shall see how well that holds as the week progresses.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2) - sorry about the confusion with those stats yesterday, hope you all figured it out.

July's total precipitation 3.00"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.32"

High temp 81.2° (1834) (81.7° R.S.)

Low temp 66.8° (0241) (67.1° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 72.2° (VP2) 72.0° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 5 MPH from the SE (1545)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0419) to a low of 73% (1837)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 66°.

Pressures ranged from 30.21"(1014) to 30.13"(1844).

At midnight obs, temp was 72.2°(VP2)/72.0°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.15" and steady, Humidity 92% with a dew point of 70°.

Currently at 0210 EDT, the temp is 71.5°(VP2)/71.4°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and falling, humidity 95% with the dew point at 70°.

Current radar shows spotty light showers over NY, PA, VT, MI, IN and IL at this time. No real organization to the mostly dying showers, not headed anywhere in particular.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday warmed up some more, further into the 80s, with partial sun, clouds around most of the day at least partially, and humid with dew points in the 70s. The clouds came in during the afternoon, stifling the chance for storm buildups for the most part. Temps this evening have dropped into the 70s and should drop no more than the low 70s by sunrise. Mostly cloudy on Tuesday, highs around 90 with a 30 POP for showers/storms. Tuesday evening continued cloudy with temps in the 70s and a 30 POP for showers/storms as a cold front drops on through. Wednesday should be sunny and drier, cooler in the mid to upper 80s. Wednesday evening clear early, then clouds coming in a bit, lows in the mid-upper 60s. Thursday should see heat and humidity return as the cold front backs up as a warm front and moves north of our area. A 40 POP for showers and storms with a high around 90. Lows should be mostly in the 70s thereafter during the nights starting Thursday and running through to Sunday. A 30 POP for showers/storms on Friday, hot and humid with a high in the low 90s. Similar conditions on Saturday with a high temp around 90. Sunny Sunday for my birthday and also Monday with highs in the upper 80s.

Monday's precipitation: 0

High temp 86.4° (1835) (87.3° R.S.)

Low temp 71.1° (0624) (71.1° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 75.4° (VP2) 75.2° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 5 MPH from the SE (1422)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0700) to a low of 67% (1840)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 70°.

Pressures ranged from 30.15"(0000) to 29.91"(2231).

At midnight obs, temp was 75.4°(VP2)/75.2°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.92" and falling, Humidity 88% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0138 EDT, the temp is 73.2°(VP2)/73.0°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.88" and falling, humidity 91% with the dew point at 71°.

Current radar shows a good deal of showers over much of upstate New York and interior New England, and also along coastal North Carolina and offshore, and a small area of scattered showers centered over parts of WI and northern IL at this time.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tuesday was warm and humid, but a cloud cover from the storm action out in the midwest that got close but did not give us any rain kept us a bit cooler than expected. Temps in other parts of the area got over 90, I only rose into the mid 80s. A storm around 5:30 PM prompted a severe storm warning for central Montgomery County as it was moving SE from Boyds, but it headed over to Montgomery Village to my NE, just missing me by no more than a mile. The storm also lost its power just as it was getting to the Gaithersburg area. Clearing weather ensued this evening, and dew points have been dropping into the mid 60s. We should have one nice day on Wednesday, a bit drier with dew pts probably in the low 60s with high temps in the mid 80s and lows in the mid-upper 60s. But the hot air hasn't gone far and will return with a warm front on Thursday, with temps soaring into the upper 90s to around 100 under partly cloudy, hot and humid conditions. Friday should see temps in the low-mid 90s with a 40 POP for showers/storms as another front approaches. Saturday should be cloudy with highs in the upper 80s and a 40 POP for showers/storms. Sunny with temps in the mid 80s on Sunday for my birthday that should persist through Tuesday hopefully. Low temps should be mostly in the 60s.

High temp 85.5° (1436) (85.8° R.S.)

Low temp 71.3° (0550) (71.2° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 74.9° (VP2) 75.2° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the NW (0944)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0538) to a low of 71% (1744)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 79° to 67°.

Pressures ranged from 29.92"(0004) to 29.71"(1615).

At midnight obs, temp was 74.9°(VP2)/75.2°(R.S.), Clear, Winds 1 MPH from the WNW, Pressure 29.81" and rising, Humidity 76% with a dew point of 67°.

Currently at 0143 EDT, the temp is 73.2°(VP2)/73.2°(R.S.), Clear, Winds calm, Pressure at 29.83" and rising, humidity 74% with the dew point at 64°.

Current radar shows a dying area of rain over central KY and a little light rain action over parts of Wisconsin.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wednesday was sunny, warm and dry, with dew points dropping into the more comfortable 50s, high temps in the mid 80s. Tonight the hot, muggy air is slowly creeping back, surrepticiously at first, as dew pts have crept up a bit into the low 60s and temps are holding in the upper 60s. But Thursday will see the muggies come back with vengeance, as dew points creep up to and past 70 and temps rise well up into the 90s and a 30 POP for scattered showers/storms. Muggy conditions continue through Thursday night, with a 40 POP for showers/storms and lows in the low-mid 70s. Friday should be mostly cloudy, hot and humid with a 30 POP for showers/storms with highs in the low 90s, lows Friday night in the low 70s. Saturday should see a high of 90, partly cloudy skies and a 30 POP for showers/storms. Then clearing out on Saturday night with lows dropping to the upper 60s. Sunday and Monday look sunny and warm, a bit drier, highs in the mid-upper 80s with lows in the upper 60s. Tuesday and thereafter look a bit damp possibly, partly cloudy with a 30 POP for showers/storms and high temps in the mid 80s as we head into August.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.02" (LR)

(I missed this yesterday - that storm that I thought had missed me and hit Montgomery Village did manage to brush by a bit while I was still at work.)

July's total precipitation 3.02"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.34"

High temp 84.7° (1830) (87.6° R.S.)

Low temp 65.7° (0701) (65.8° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 68.7° (VP2) 68.9° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the E (0941)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 84% (0653) to a low of 38% (1614)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 67° to 54°.

Pressures ranged from 29.98"(1159) to 29.80"(0002).

At midnight obs, temp was 68.7°(VP2)/68.9°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.87" and steady, Humidity 82% with a dew pt of 63°.

Currently at 0237 EDT, the temp is 68.7°(VP2)/68.7°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.81" and falling, humidity 84% with the dew point at 64°.

Current radar shows the frontal precipitation from out in south-central WI, central MI, southern Ontario into central New York state at this time.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thursday started cloudy with rain showers just to my north, then that area moved off and the sun came out with heat and humidity accompanying it, dew points quickly climbing well up into the 70s and air temps into the 90s. Storms to our north and west over PA, OH and WV approached in the evening, with distant lightning observed, but the rain went elsewhere, with flooding in the Baltimore area some 40 miles to my ENE. We may still get some showers overnight as there are some out in WV moving this way, a 40 POP overnight with lows staying in the 70s. Friday looks partly cloudy, hot and humid with highs in the low 90s and a 30 POP for showers/storms. A 40 POP for showers/storms from Friday night through Saturday night, highs around 90 on Saturday, lows still in the muggy 70s Friday night. Sunday should be sunny and dry, with highs in the upper 80s. Next week looks unsettled, with highs dropping a bit into the mid-upper 80s and a 40 POP for showers/storms through Tuesday, then a 50 POP on Wednesday with high temps in the low-mid 80s as we enter into August.

July's total precipitation 3.02"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.34"

High temp 94.5° (1636) (96.4° R.S.)

Low temp 67.3° (0404) (67.5° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 76.7° (VP2) 76.5° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 21 MPH from the N (2134)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 89% (0436) to a low of 55% (1643)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 79° to 63°.

Pressures ranged from 29.87"(0001) to 29.67"(1935).

At midnight obs, temp was 76.7°(VP2)/76.5°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from ENE, Pressure 29.76" and rising, Humidity 83% with a dew point of 71°.

Currently at 0219 EDT, the temp is 74.7°(VP2)/74.7°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.75" and steady, humidity 86% with the dew point at 70°.

Current radar shows showers to my west through a good part of West Virginia, heading this way and if it holds together should give us some precipitation before sunrise. It does appear to be weakening so amounts should be light with little if any convective activity.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday started a bit cloudy but was generally sunny and a bit cooler but still humid with dew pts still in the 70s. Storms moved off to the south and southwest out in the mountains. Tonight has been partly cloudy and muggy with temps once again holding in the 70s. Saturday should see temps around 90 with a 30 POP for showers/storms, still humid. But Saturday night there is a 30 POP for showers/storms, mostly likely early if they do occur, and then clearing off late with lows in the upper 60s. Sunday should be partly cloudy to sunny with high temps in the mid-upper 80s for my 62nd birthday. The week ahead looks like muggy conditions continuing, with seasonable temps (highs around 90) and a 30-40 POP for showers/storms through most of the week as we enter into the new month. Low temps should mostly be in the low-mid 70s, with some mid-upper 60s possible early in the week.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.01" (correction from last night's report for some of you - Thanks Stan!)

Friday's precipitation: 0

July's total precipitation 3.03"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.35"

High temp 87.2° (1713) (88.7° R.S.)

(R.S. stands for my recently re-established Radio Shack wireless thermometer being used as a backup)

Low temp 72.5° (0610) (72.5° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 75.8° (VP2) 75.6° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the W (0917)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0656) to a low of 63% (1738)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 70°.

Pressures ranged from 29.89"(2344) to 29.74"(0012).

At midnight obs, temp was 75.8°(VP2)/75.6°(R.S.), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.89" and rising, Humidity 89% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0345 EDT, the temp is 72.4°(VP2)/72.3°(R.S.), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.88" and steady, humidity 93% with the dew point at 70°.

Current radar shows what may have been a MCCS over parts of Western PA, dying out a bit as it moves NE into north central PA. Light showers also showing up in parts of western NY state and eastern KY/western WV at this time, moving NE.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Archived