• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

1987 Was the wors't flooding i had seen in my lifetime, I remember it well as i was working for a beer company back then, And my route was in the Kingfield/sSugarloaf area, I had talked to a customer (Winter Inn) the day after all the rain, And he said he had a 4' snowpack out in there back yard and after the rain he had bare ground, I know if you go into the Cumberland Farms in Farmington, They had a mark about 3-6" from the ceiling where the water level from the Sandy River had risen was in the store, If it is still there, The androscoggin at great falls was so high that it was hitting the middle of the steel girder of the bridge that spans Lew/Aub and was closed for a time as well as the one that takes you into New Auburn.

Must have lost the 'Loaf portion for a while, as part of the northbound Rt.27 downriver from CV town hall was eaten by the river, while a landslide planted a few dozen trees with accompanying soil and rocks on the southbound lane. Just checked the Andy peak flows - 103,000 cfs in 1987, and yesterday's 60,000 looks like 2nd highest since then. However, their record flow was 135k in 1936 river height of 27.6' vs 23.7' in 1987. Wonder if they had to rebuild the bridge after than one.

I'll have to check the Cumby store for that mark next time I'm in there. I'd heard that the water was over the countertops at McDonald's, also know that the Rt 4 concrete-arch bridge over the Sandy wound up on the river bottom, in pieces. I lived in Gardiner then, where the local Shop'n'Save had 9' of water, and $2.2 million damage. They rebuilt (same shell, eveerything else new) right there; must be betting that they'll make more by not relocating than they'll lose in the periodic floods. I'm guessing only 1936 (which was 18" higher than 1987 in Gardiner due to the ice jam in Richmond) and perhaps 1953 had flooded the store previously, and nothing has come close since. Oddly, this recent/current event closed Bridge Street (Rt 201), which didn't happen in 1987. Foundation issue, perhaps?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must have lost the 'Loaf portion for a while, as part of the northbound Rt.27 downriver from CV town hall was eaten by the river, while a landslide planted a few dozen trees with accompanying soil and rocks on the southbound lane. Just checked the Andy peak flows - 103,000 cfs in 1987, and yesterday's 60,000 looks like 2nd highest since then. However, their record flow was 135k in 1936 river height of 27.6' vs 23.7' in 1987. Wonder if they had to rebuild the bridge after than one.

I'll have to check the Cumby store for that mark next time I'm in there. I'd heard that the water was over the countertops at McDonald's, also know that the Rt 4 concrete-arch bridge over the Sandy wound up on the river bottom, in pieces. I lived in Gardiner then, where the local Shop'n'Save had 9' of water, and $2.2 million damage. They rebuilt (same shell, eveerything else new) right there; must be betting that they'll make more by not relocating than they'll lose in the periodic floods. I'm guessing only 1936 (which was 18" higher than 1987 in Gardiner due to the ice jam in Richmond) and perhaps 1953 had flooded the store previously, and nothing has come close since. Oddly, this recent/current event closed Bridge Street (Rt 201), which didn't happen in 1987. Foundation issue, perhaps?

That was the DOT's concern, Yeah i had some pics of the trees in the road on 27, We could not get up that way for a few weeks, The Carabasset did a number on Rte 27 as it washed out quite a few sections plus, Yes, It wiped out the cement bridge heading towards the Madrid, Philips and Strong area

Well I'm back in VT today after a month overseas...looks like full on summer green. Incredible green actually. When I left I was still just starting to green up in the valleys, mountain was still in stick season and it was still snowing. Amazing the change in a month during our seasonal transition periods.

I skied the day before I left at the end of April and now there isn't a patch of white visible on the mountain ;)

Looks like an awesome stretch of weather coming up starting Saturday...Gradual warming but comfortable as lows stay in the 40s to low 50s.

Saturday

Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds around 10 mph.

Saturday Night and Sunday

Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Highs in the mid 70s.

Sunday Night through Tuesday

Clear. Lows in the lower 50s. Highs in the lower 80s.

Well I'm back in VT today after a month overseas...looks like full on summer green. Incredible green actually. When I left I was still just starting to green up in the valleys, mountain was still in stick season and it was still snowing. Amazing the change in a month during our seasonal transition periods.

I skied the day before I left at the end of April and now there isn't a patch of white visible on the mountain ;)

Looks like an awesome stretch of weather coming up starting Saturday...Gradual warming but comfortable as lows stay in the 40s to low 50s.

Saturday

Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds around 10 mph.

Saturday Night and Sunday

Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Highs in the mid 70s.

Sunday Night through Tuesday

Clear. Lows in the lower 50s. Highs in the lower 80s.

Probably time to start a new thread.

Edit: Oh yeah, welcome back!

Archived