joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driving with a buddy to island pond vt and we are going through newark and east haven near 1800ft...and there's a solid 10-15" still up here...58F when we left lsc and here it is 53F..winter for sure up here.

In lyndonville at 750ft, there is literally only patches and snowbanks left and its 60F.

4-6" at lsc in the shade.

Just checked the snow board at 3,000ft...

24 hour total (9am-9am) is 3.9", so that makes 2-4" last 24 hours.

Really doesn't feel like it though... skis like 1-2" due to the very cold temps and wind which has packed it down and blown it all over the place. Noticed some hard slabby areas in between moguls but that's just sort of par for the course up here.

With the way the snowfall intensity had ramped up when we were leaving Stowe on Sunday afternoon, combined with how it was coming down at the house, I was surprised there wasn’t more than ~4”, but perhaps it had slowed down pretty quickly on Mansfield after we left, and then of course there’s overnight settling. I didn’t have a hard and fast number for how much snow would get me to head out for turns on Monday morning, but I was thinking in the half foot range, so with Bolton and Stowe reporting in that 3-4” range I decided to hold off. I did have to drive into Burlington yesterday though, so I stopped off for a couple of runs at Bolton and can provide a report from there.

Yesterday morning wasn’t as cold as the previous, but it was still in the 20s F at the house when I made my observations at 6:00 A.M. Heading up the Bolton Valley Access Road around 8:30 A.M., the temperature actually rose somewhat coming up out of the valley, but dropped as I approached the Village (2,100’) where it was still below freezing. The powder from Sunday/Monday was still in good shape, with 1-2” down low at Village elevation, and 2-4” up in the 3,000” range depending on wind. I even found up to 8” in places that weren’t obvious drifts, but certainly the wind had played a role in the deposition. The Wilderness Lift wasn’t being used and hadn’t been since Sunday, so that was a good spot to head for some untracked snow. When I arrived at the Wilderness Summit (~3,150’) I noticed that the snowpack was close to level with one of the benches up there, and with typically a couple more weeks of snowpack gain to go based on the Mt. Mansfield Stake Data, that’s a good sign of how the higher elevations have caught up from the slow start in terms of snowpack:

07MAR12A.jpg

The day started warming up pretty quickly, with sun exposure and lower elevation affecting the snow, but it held off long enough for some good, albeit not overly deep, powder turns:

07MAR12B.jpg

By mid morning most of the powder was getting thick/sticky, but the groomed runs were actually getting better and better in the sun. That definitely got me excited about spring skiing, although I’m still more interested in the upcoming powder possibilities on Friday/Saturday with the front coming through.

any of you NNE folks heard from Cool Spruce?

Try Dan on FB.

Max was 64.0F today...currently 62F. Looks like a brief cool down with some isolated snow showers Fri/Sat before we warm right back up again Sun-Tue. The Euro backdoors us Wed-Thu before we scorch again for the weekend.

63.3F for my high. Took these 2 pictures 5 hours apart, 4pm top, 11am bottom. This is what a March sun, brisk wind and 63F will do. What a difference. Dirt roads around here are nearly impassable, mud season sure came on fast. Newfound Lake which was totally snowcovered this AM is now watercovered over the ice.

post-268-0-97730900-1331241308.jpg

post-268-0-33885100-1331241333.jpg

Got to 60F here today. Just a wonderful morning before the clouds rolled in...even now with rain falling, it feels like spring. All of the valley snowpack is almost gone out this way, and most below 1500ft will be gone by early next week.

Models and forecasters had a pretty good handle on this warm up...and it looks to continue into week and beyond...temps in the valleys could reach the mid 60s sometime next week, with summits in the mid to upper 50s..rut roh.

any of you NNE folks heard from Cool Spruce?

Sadly, no. He is greatly missed.

Started this morning with 4-6" on the lawns outside the AUG office, now down to patches and puddles. Highest temp I saw for here was 57 at 3 PM, but it might've gone a bit higher. Can hardly wait to slide thru the slime on the gravel road to our house. If the models verify the heat, by 3/20 our road will be thawed enough to be solid for light traffic, but the mud season hiatus will just be starting for our logging contractors.

I wasn't working today but I was skiing and holy cow was it windy at the summit. The top lift attendant and lift maintenance guy were "guiding" the chairs into the terminal by adjusting the speed of the lift very frequently. We had to have been getting gusts of 50-60mph at times... the type of stuff that just shreds pine trees and leaves pine boughs all over the place.

With that said, I'm skeptical of some of the gusts showing up but guess its not completely out of the realm of possibilities as VAD is showing 55-70kts sustained in the 5,000-8,000ft range. But could that transfer to 90+mph gusts at 4,000ft?

Still 51F here with light rain and drizzle. Dewpoint is up to 48F which is why my snow is literally being eaten. 750ft down to banks and here is soon to follow. snow depth down to 3" at the stake, where there was 15" 3 days ago and even 8-10" this morning.

I wonder how the higher elevations are doing. Looking at http://www.robertlyonsphotography.com/webcam/last_ten.html at Walden,VT at 2230ft, looks like they started the day with close to 20". The latest image I can see is as of 11:02AM this morning and they're already down to 18". Even they got up to 57F today. Yikes.

We were just listening to the wind here at the house, which already says a lot of we’re getting wind down in this location, but it got us curious about what was going on up on Mt. Mansfield. The real time data from the ridgeline indicates a gust to 96 MPH today as Powderfreak noted above, and it looks like colder air is on the way because the temperature had just dropped 5 degrees F in 5 minutes.

What an awesome front... couldn't ask for anything more. Could hear the roaring on the other side of the bay and see the sheet of wind whipped rain race across the hills. Measured 41mph on a WSW wind before it shifted to NW which doesn't register as well. Of course, the strongest gusts came after the shift. Pretty sure there was a 50 in there.

I got a couple screens knocked out last night by the wind... holy crap that was some of the most impressive wind I've seen in town in a very long time. My windows face due west towards Mansfield and just took a pelting last night.

Currently its all nice and white outside with some flurries falling. What a difference from like 8 hours ago when I went to sleep.

Time to savor the snow... this is the forecast for 800ft in town so take 5-15F off these highs for on-mountain temps, but even still its incredibly warm. I think we may see an impressive melt this week. Not boding well for the April ski scene.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 48. South wind between 3 and 8 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 36.

Monday: Sunny, with a high near 56.

Monday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday: Cloudy, with a high near 56.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 44.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 58.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 36.

Thursday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60.

poof. full on melt out till 10 last night. yard is back to grass, garlic bed has made its appearance, and sure enough 4 crocus(i?) have emerged. flash freeze on the windows with a new inch of snow, 19F.

only thing quicker than winter may be the sugaring season this year.

maybe a longer growing season? somehow, I just keep figuring we'll get the screws somehow.

Forgot to read the rest of page 2 after yesterday morning: PF, awesome shots from Mansfield. That's livin' right there. I'll be sure to be putting skis on both days this weekend as our days look to be pretty numbered.

And no, like others, I haven't heard boo from CoolSpuce.

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.64” L.E.

I found 0.5” of new snow on the snowboard this morning, with the crusty accumulation from the snow to rain transition last night on the bottom making for an overall density derived from the core (14.0% H2O) somewhat elevated relative to the snow itself. This is also the 40th accumulating snowstorm of the season at our location, putting ’11-‘12 well ahead of both ‘06-‘07 (37 total storms) and ‘09-‘10 (36 total storms) in that category, and suggesting the potential for a season ending up around average (44 storms). In terms of total snowfall, in the neck-and-neck battle, ’11-’12 is running just ahead of ‘06-‘07 (108.2” through this date) and a bit behind ‘09-‘10 (117.5” through this date). The current ’11-’12 accumulated snowfall of 109.0” puts the season at 75.4% of average, and within one standard deviation (-0.992 S.D. from the mean value of 144.6”). Heading west of the Greens this morning, I saw little of any snow accumulation in the Richmond area, with just a few scattered dustings of flakes in sheltered spots here at UVM.

Reported accumulations at the Vermont ski areas thus far seem to top out in the 2-4” range for the northern half of the state; the north to south listing of available snowfall totals is below:

Jay Peak: 2”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 2”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 1”

Bromley: T”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 1”

It looks like there’s the chance for a bit more accumulation today/tonight as well.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.1

Snow Density: 14.0% H2O

Temperature: 29.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

Archived