Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After further review, temps may stay closer to today's values tomorrow in northern sections due to incoming cloud cover and precip tomorrow night.

Yeah...that may be the case up in BTV land, but I think tomorrow ends up warmer down here. I think CON/MHT may tickle 65F.

Max 56.3F. It feels nice...I must admit.

Wow that was my exact max too! 56.3F Whats the chance of that happening!

Some misc musings..... On a more important note spring has arrived as I was able to completely close down the wood stove and clean it out. I have had a continuous firegoing for over 4 months till today. That March sun just heated the house even though it was in the 50's. Our town posted our roads today and I expect mud season to start in earnest tomorrrow as the dirt roads are starting to thaw out. Probably will not be too bad with a lack of precip this winter. Today the first small patch of lawn appeared on my steep southwest slope. My snow is quite durable after last weeks rain and subsequent deep freeze on top of the new snowfall. When I get to this time of year my mind set changes from looking forward to snow to getting rid of it. Always seems like the rest of the country experiences spring as we wait and wait for it up here in the North Country. Maybe this year will be different. Also have had 61" of snow this year. Not bad, my average is around 90" however a buch of that was the October storm that melted off. We never had deep snowcover at anypoint, probably the deepest was this past weekend with the 10-11" then the 2 1/2" the next morning before we went to a driving brief rain!

Enjoy the warm weather guys!

Gene

Can't believe there's such a huge difference between those two towns as close as they are. Goes to show what clear skies and calm winds can do.

37.9 here at last check. Down to 3-4" in areas that get sun most of the day and about 4-4.5" in sheltered areas. Be surprised to make it through tomorrow with solid snowcover still. Actually have 2-3" on my NE facing roof still but the other side melted off by 3PM today

What's causing that? It's 53 at btv and 32 at vsf as well! Is it decoupling due to the calm winds?

Pretty much. A very shallow stable layer is getting easily mixed out whenever a gust does come up. IZG has bounced from 39 to 49 when the wind kicked up last hour.

Well, we only hit 48F for a high here yesterday. Dropped back into the upper 20s last night--28F currently. P&C forecast was for a low of 40. I definitely raised an eyebrow when I saw that. It's rare that we don't decouple and radiate here.

Still have 14" at the stake too.

Took a ski tour yesterday morning before work up to the top of 1800' Gile Mountain in Norwich, VT. About the same snow depth at the top as we have here at the house--maybe a touch more. It was good skiing and the world was an odd hazy blue:

Franconia & Moosilauke to the northeast:

6816316688_669138a950_z.jpg

And Killington to the west:

6962434603_617004a050_z.jpg

Holy crap--just looked at the morning temp round-up; 55 in Montpelier at 6am, 52 in Burlington, almost 60 in central NY.... :axe:

Up to 30 here now, lol.

Yeah the temerature really spiked at my place. 38° at 6:00 when I got up and 45° less than an hour later. On a more wintry note, I went snowmobiling last night in Groton. Bout 3 feet on the ground in the higher elevations and it was starting to firm back up again when I was leaving at 9:00.

52.5 at quarter to nine. Had dropped to about 38 for a low last night but it must have been rising ever since. Still some snowcover on the roofs but it definitely took a 1-2" hit overnight. Its futile to think the snow will stick around much longer but just curious how far it will go

Already up another 1.1 to 53.6 in the ten minutes since this post.

Holy crap--just looked at the morning temp round-up; 55 in Montpelier at 6am, 52 in Burlington, almost 60 in central NY.... :axe:

Up to 30 here now, lol.

We just hemorraged snow in town last night... wow. Still solid snow cover but no where near your 14"... I'd say anywhere from 3-10" depending on where it is. Tons of bare spots on south facing roadside pitches and under big evergreens.

Last night at 10pm it was 36F and falling and I figured we'd be frozen solid this morning... nope, judging by the MVL obs the temps we shot from the upper 30s into the low 50s at midnight, hitting 54F at 3am. Wow. 55F out there this morning with dews above freezing. Did not see a night in the 50s coming.

Hate to interupt the warmth discussion (not really) but any chance of uplsope snow friday night in the northern greens. BTV mentions "instability" and northwest winds and I start drooling.

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY/...

AS OF 422 AM EST THURSDAY...COLD FRONT DOES NOT MOVE THROUGH

VERMONT UNTIL LATE TONIGHT AND 850 TO 700 MB FRONTOGENESIS

STRENGTHENS OVER NORTHERN NEW YORK TONIGHT FOR SECOND BURST OF

PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE AREA. AT THIS TIME...TEMPERATURES WILL BE

FALLING SHARPLY ABOVE THE SURFACE AND THE RAIN SHOULD CHANGE OVER

TO SNOW IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. LOOKING AT ANYWHERE FROM 1 TO 4

INCHES OF SNOW BY FRIDAY MORNING. LOWER ELEVATIONS WILL BE THE

SLOWEST TO COOL DOWN AND THUS LOOKING AT AN INCH OR LESS. WINDS

WILL STILL BE GUSTY...BUT WILL HAVE DROPPED BELOW ADVISORY

CRITERIA. WHAT IS INTERESTING FOR FRIDAY IS THAT THE LOW LEVEL

WINDS ARE WEAKER THAN TODAY...BUT DEEPER MIXING OCCURS...GENERALLY

UP TO 700 MB...AND THIS SHOULD RESULT IN MORE GUSTY WINDS BY

FRIDAY AFTERNOON ACROSS MOST OF THE NORTH COUNTRY. LOOKING AT WIND

GUSTS IN THE 25 TO 35 MPH RANGE. THE STEEPER LAPSE RATES SUGGEST

INSTABILITY WILL DEVELOP ON FRIDAY AND COMBINED WITH UPPER TROUGH

AXIS MOVING IN...EXPECT SCATTERED RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE

AREA WITH A RETURN TO MORE SEASONAL TEMPERATURES. EVENTUALLY WINDS

AND PRECIPITATION WILL DECREASE FRIDAY NIGHT AS FLOW ALOFT BECOMES

MORE NORTHWEST WITH TIME AND HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS INTO THE REGION.

THUS LOOKING AT DRY WEATHER FOR SATURDAY WITH A BIT MORE

SUNSHINE...BUT HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL BE A FEW DEGREES BELOW

NORMAL.

couple if inches would be really welcome on top of the inevitable hardpack. My daughter (11) qualified to compete in the castlerock challenge freestyle competition on saturday morning, so I'd love for her to have something other than ice and rocks to ski on.

Nice shots, Allenson... yesterday was a beautiful day for a tour and I did the same thing on the neighborhood peak.

Started out on one side of Mansfield at the top of the Quad, and skinned up and 2 miles across the ridge a bowl known as the Rock Garden. I love doing this route in the spring-time when its around 40F on the ridge, light wind, and full on sunshine. Actually got a decent sunburn on arms and face (t-shirt weather at 4,000ft).

IMG_3029_edited-1.jpg

Awesome day for a stroll across the ridge.

IMG_3048_edited-1.jpg

I love this route because you have two severe drop-offs on either side of you... one side goes 4,000 feet down to the Champlain Valley (fairly dramatically, too) and the other goes 3,000ft down into interior VT. Whiteface and the Adirondacks are across the way, rising just about a full vertical mile off the valley floor.

IMG_3053_edited-1.jpg

South along the Spine...

IMG_3058_edited-1.jpg

The destination...

IMG_3065_edited-1.jpg

The funny thing is when you look at this in the summer you can't believe you may actually be able to ski down it. In the summer its just a cliffy, very steep, boulder field. But when the snowpack finally gets up there its an awesome steep run. A nice way to occupy 45 minutes between lift-serviced laps.

IMG_3071_edited-1.jpg

Hate to interupt the warmth discussion (not really) but any chance of uplsope snow friday night in the northern greens. BTV mentions "instability" and northwest winds and I start drooling.

couple if inches would be really welcome on top of the inevitable hardpack. My daughter (11) qualified to compete in the castlerock challenge freestyle competition on saturday morning, so I'd love for her to have something other than ice and rocks to ski on.

Our Mansfield point 'n click forecast tonight has 3-7" of new snow but I have my doubts on that one... I could see 1-3", maybe 4" at the summit if it pans out perfectly. Probably will be the same deal to the south at Lincoln and Ellen.

I definitely think the Spine will pick up at least an inch or two for dust on crust conditions over the next 48 hours. Anytime we've got this energy moving over the mountains, something will fall.

Tonight: Rain and snow showers, becoming all snow after midnight. Low around 15. Wind chill values as low as zero. Breezy, with a southwest wind 22 to 25 mph becoming northwest. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

nice report PF, thanks for sharing that.

I always have found the spring tour pace a highlight of the seasons in mountains. the hustle and energy of chasing pow subsides, the weather allows you a leisurely, enjoyable stroll in the sun, some great time in your own head or with friends. Always sad to know the fresh snow is dwindling, but its a pretty damn fine second helping mother nature gives us.

nice views Allenson.

Those are some great shots PF.

Thanks! Really hard to mess up photos with these types of surroundings, haha.

IMG_3049_edited-1.jpg

What was interesting being up there was looking into the Champlain Valley (I haven't had that view in a little while) and seeing the immediate western slope communities still had some snow, but you didn't have to go very far from the Spine to find brown ground.

IMG_3039_edited-1.jpg

Those fields just right of center where there's only a trace of snow yesterday, looks to be completely snow free now as its where this web cam is located:

webcam2.jpg

Our Mansfield point 'n click forecast tonight has 3-7" of new snow but I have my doubts on that one... I could see 1-3", maybe 4" at the summit if it pans out perfectly. Probably will be the same deal to the south at Lincoln and Ellen.

I definitely think the Spine will pick up at least an inch or two for dust on crust conditions over the next 48 hours. Anytime we've got this energy moving over the mountains, something will fall.

Tonight: Rain and snow showers, becoming all snow after midnight. Low around 15. Wind chill values as low as zero. Breezy, with a southwest wind 22 to 25 mph becoming northwest. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

I agree....I'm not in love with that 3-7 call. Thinking 1-4 is prob. right. Dries out really fast in the wake of the front. Maybe some hay is made on that second shot of -10c air...but we'll see. Frankly I'd rather have 2-3 inches of wet creamy snow over 7 inches of fluff. It will ski better!

Thanks.

We just hemorraged snow in town last night... wow. Still solid snow cover but no where near your 14"... I'd say anywhere from 3-10" depending on where it is. Tons of bare spots on south facing roadside pitches and under big evergreens.

Last night at 10pm it was 36F and falling and I figured we'd be frozen solid this morning... nope, judging by the MVL obs the temps we shot from the upper 30s into the low 50s at midnight, hitting 54F at 3am. Wow. 55F out there this morning with dews above freezing. Did not see a night in the 50s coming.

I think many mets saw temps in the low 40s....many didn't think winds would be so brisk last night, keeping everything well mixed.

We bottomed out 43F while whitefield,nh was 26F! Already up to 55F and snow is getting obliterated. Probably down to 6" at the stake now and dropping steadily...many bare spots, but many places with 6-8" still

I agree....I'm not in love with that 3-7 call. Thinking 1-4 is prob. right. Dries out really fast in the wake of the front. Maybe some hay is made on that second shot of -10c air...but we'll see. Frankly I'd rather have 2-3 inches of wet creamy snow over 7 inches of fluff. It will ski better!

You'll probably end up with maybe 2-4" with the residual mositure. And lift left over from the frontogenesis tonight...little refresher above 2000ft...maybe a coating below that I think...up to 1" if lucky.

Archived