• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
How Did You Happen Upon This Board and When

40/70 Benchmark

I was friends with Todd Gross as well as some of the other Boston Mets. Todd really embraced the internet when it first was starting up. I didn't even own a computer. He told me about NE weather that he was starting on IIRC. He suggested to go to an "internet cafe" and check out this thing called the internet. I found a cafe used Webcrawler and was amazed. Went and bought my first computer the next day. From NE.weather I migrated to WWBB then to Eastern and on to American. I am 54 years old. 30 years ago it was impossible to get weather data unless you were a Met working in the field. I lived to watch Don Kent and the others on TV. That was my only source. Now I don't even bother with TV, I get most of my info from this forum and looking at data on the web.

TWC->WWBB->Eastern->American

It's alarming to think I've been at this for fifteen years; I'm legitimately ancient to the online weather community.

I started at the age of ten, during the winter of 1995-1996, under the moniker "ElementalEnergy."

It's pretty much all gone downhill since then.

If you're ancient, I'm a fossil... :arrowhead:

--Turtle ;)

I lurked on ne.weather and WWBB...but i joined WWBB in 2004 and then finally Eastern on Dec 7, 2005 before the infamous Dec 9, 2005 storm. I've never looked back since then...I'll always remember the 2004-2005 on WWB as the great season that I first started posting on as a 23 year old met fairly fresh out of college.

Memorable winter to start posting in.

I was friends with Todd Gross as well as some of the other Boston Mets. Todd really embraced the internet when it first was starting up. I didn't even own a computer. He told me about NE weather that he was starting on IIRC. He suggested to go to an "internet cafe" and check out this thing called the internet. I found a cafe used Webcrawler and was amazed. Went and bought my first computer the next day. From NE.weather I migrated to WWBB then to Eastern and on to American. I am 54 years old. 30 years ago it was impossible to get weather data unless you were a Met working in the field. I lived to watch Don Kent and the others on TV. That was my only source. Now I don't even bother with TV, I get most of my info from this forum and looking at data on the web.

Did you ever go to any of those support group meetings of his.....I went to one or two and posted on that site he started during the 2005-06 season.

Every so often, when you work in the TV world, out of concern that everyone hates you....you google yourself to see what is being "said" about you. Simply put, I had forecasted rain for a coastal storm in 2006, and Kevin called me a "GFS hugger". Back then I was worried that it was warranted abuse. Now that I know Kevin hugs everything and all cold/snow solutions, I don't feel so bad. It did rain 2" on Tolland Mt. during that event in '06! ;)

Bob M.

Every so often, when you work in the TV world, out of concern that everyone hates you....you google yourself to see what is being "said" about you. Simply put, I had forecasted rain for a coastal storm in 2006, and Kevin called me a "GFS hugger". Back then I was worried that it was warranted abuse. Now that I know Kevin hugs everything and all cold/snow solutions, I don't feel so bad. It did rain 2" on Tolland Mt. during that event in '06! ;)

Bob M.

LOL...I'm glad we finally got you away from your GFS bias. And that now you are able to look "outside the box" ..I see Ryan has told you where to find us now :scooter:

Now we just need them to get you your Red met tag back.

It was December of 2007 and the Pats were rolling to 16-0. It was heading into week 15 and a showdown with the Jets. I was reading SoSH and a thread came up titled "Nor'easter Sunday". There was the threat of a snowstorm for the game and in the thread there were links to model images and easternwx. I followed the links and have been mostly lurking ever since. (I know I can't keep up with the banter or knowledge tossed around here.)

Let's hope this Sunday turns out better than that fateful day as the early forecast snowstorm turned into a rainy, 40 degree day.

It was December of 2007 and the Pats were rolling to 16-0. It was heading into week 15 and a showdown with the Jets. I was reading SoSH and a thread came up titled "Nor'easter Sunday". There was the threat of a snowstorm for the game and in the thread there were links to model images and easternwx. I followed the links and have been mostly lurking ever since. (I know I can't keep up with the banter or knowledge tossed around here.)

Let's hope this Sunday turns out better than that fateful day as the early forecast snowstorm turned into a rainy, 40 degree day.

This.

I would add that the "threat" was of the D6 variety, and that, the next day, I learned that the word "cutter" would herald a quick and steady decline in interest in said threat.

I'm sure I have posted this in other threads before but: Delphi SNE wx board early/mid 90s, ne.weather 94-99 or so, WWBB late 90s-04, easternuswx 04-10 and now Americanwx. LOL Time keeps slipping slipping slipping into the future................

lurked at eastern for a bit, then came here during the mass migration last month.

Archived