Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
How would you grade this past Winter?

SpartyOn

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A-/A I know i'm in the minority here, but any winter where our high temperature is below 20 degrees only 4 days is great in my book. Added to that the 3 days 50 or greater(including today, may add some more) made it even better. About the only thing that I would change would be to have less cloudy days, but the clouds at night are one thing that kept the low temps so warm.

A-/A I know i'm in the minority here, but any winter where our high temperature is below 20 degrees only 4 days is great in my book. Added to that the 3 days 50 or greater(including today, may add some more) made it even better. About the only thing that I would change would be to have less cloudy days, but the clouds at night are one thing that kept the low temps so warm.

+1 Glad to see someone else on my team.

+1 Glad to see someone else on my team.

I am a warminista in the summer, the hotter the better. However, I like it cold in the winter.

It doesn't seem like we've had winter, due to not enough arctic air. Even though I'm closer to average in the snow depatment than most in our subforum, it's all been gone within 24-48 hours.

I am a warminista in the summer, the hotter the better. However, I like it cold in the winter.

It doesn't seem like we've had winter, due to not enough arctic air. Even though I'm closer to average in the snow depatment than most in our subforum, it's all been gone within 24-48 hours.

Am in agreement....Certainly no big memorable snowstorms around here this past winter season.

It's a little early, as there could be a few unexpected surprises. If I were to give it a grade at this point I give it a solid F. First inch of snow didn't happen until mid Jan, and after an active week we went over another month without an inch. Most of the winter lacked meaningful systems to track. Cold was also lacking, with only 2 days below zero and a relatively warm min seasonal temp of -1.

The burst of very heavy wet snow last week bumped this up to a D-. Only got 2.5", but it was absolutely ripping for awhile. Plus it gets us closer to 20".

Im actually the opposite of Tropical. Love cold summers with lots of rain and clouds. I hope this mild winter means a cool damp dreary summer with no 90 degree temps.

I like cool summers too, maybe not real wet, but I enjoy the misty cooler days. 60°-75° with lows between 50°-55° is the ideal summer for me... maybe throw in an occasional low 80° high here and there. I can't stand the heat and humidity.

Geezus you're a tough grader Harry.

Looks like according to your sig line your are close to 80% of average to date....and that's a D?

We're probably sitting around 25% of average to date.... That grade wouldn't even exist on your scale lol.

I JUST got missed by a few decent events and yes that is a big part of my grading system. No warning events. Worse was having a good storm track a couple of times and still ending up with rain. I would consider a normal winter ( normal snowfall/normal temps ) a C grade as that is average. What would move it up would be 18+ inches of that total coming from one storm and thus a decent storm unless it all melted in a day or two. Or reaching normal and being cold with decent deep snowcover. However if that normal snowfall came at 1-4 inches at a time, big events just missing, alot of torchy weather ( snow melts 2 days later ) then yeah the grade goes down towards a D or whatever.

This winter was anything but average. So i think a D is a good grade.

The funny thing about 2009 that made it suck for so many people was that the nice sunny upper 70s low 80s days only happened during the work week. The weekends were horrible weather wise. Most of those 2009 weekends we trashed by cool rainy conditions. Terrible summer for boaters and golfers. It would not have been so bad if the cutoff lows hit on a Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

Barring any MAJOR snowstorm(s), I'm sticking with my grade, a big fat stinking red F.

I would give it somthing much worse than a big fat stinking red F.if not for the once in a lifetimee June-like weather in March.

Yep.. As strange as it may seem to some my view of the winter is a little better thanks to this incredible record breaking warmth. Chances are as you said it is a once in a lifetime event. Thus it is something special and will be discussed for many years to come.

As said before records rank a bit high in my grading especially the BIG Monthly records like we are seeing/about to see.

My final grade has improved. While not true bookend of winter one would expected this has been an EPIC ending to winter. Being from MI I consider March a winter month. This is a once in a lifetime ending to Winter that is/has just occurred.

C+/B-

Unfortunately due to family health issues I could not go up north into northern lower MI like MichSnowFreak did early March and I could not do t-storm chasing last week. My grade would have likely been B+ if I could have done both of those. Being the family health issues are millions of times more important then the weather ever will be I honestly don't care about missing any event. Praise God the health issues look to be 100% by the end of the month.

No 'A' grade is possible when Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years are all green!

This will be my final grade for Winter of 2011/12 unless some freak EPIC snow/ice event occurs in April (possible but not likely IMO).

Spring & Summer weather is time for me to be outdoors so like many others time for me to sign out until next winter (I may visit the occasional significant t-storm events IMBY).

B.

Above the PHL average I'm accustomed to, 3 solid events (although only 1 really "performed"). By Philly standards, a solid B.

Was this your first winter in IN? Wait til you see a real midwest winter :). We joke "what winter" this year but even in this trainwreck we had many snowfalls, its part of our climo. Next year chances are very high you will enjoy much more!

Im probably leaning towards a solid D here. I was definitely more D+ with potential for C- pending what happened in March, and needless to say, a March torch ensued. I certainly can go no lower than a D because we did have several overperfoming snowfalls here, the Feb 10th arctic front was AWESOME, and we certainly did make out better than many others this winter, plus I had an awesome weekend up north during their biggest snowstorm in years. But the lack of any sustained winter is a HUGE minus in my book. We were however due for a stinker winter (not that that will improve my grade any), so hopefully we get right back on track next year.

My winter recap in pics is here:

http://www.americanw...es-se-michigan/

Sure there were some nice winter scenes, but its a joke and a pittance when looking at my pic recaps every other year since i started in 2007-08.

Was this your first winter in IN? Wait til you see a real midwest winter :). We joke "what winter" this year but even in this trainwreck we had many snowfalls, its part of our climo. Next year chances are very high you will enjoy much more!

Yeah first one. I was expecting more. VPZ averages in the mid-40s according to one of my professors. But PHL this year is at 4.0", so I'll gladly take 23.7" over that.

Yeah first one. I was expecting more. VPZ averages in the mid-40s according to one of my professors. But PHL this year is at 4.0", so I'll gladly take 23.7" over that.

I think we ALL were expecting more lol. This winter was a trainwreck for almost the entire eastern half of the nation.

For an idea of how bad it is, here is my seasonal snowfall for the last 10 years imby in Wyandotte, MI (suburb of Detroit). Avg is low-mid 40s, so we were due for something like this.

2011-12: 25.5" - 20 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

2010-11: 69.4" - 81 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

2009-10: 46.1" - 58 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

2008-09: 64.8" - 62 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

2007-08: 78.2" - 69 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

2006-07: 36.3" - 49 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

2005-06: 41.9" - 46 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

2004-05: 82.1" - 65 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

2003-04: 38.0" - 60 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

2002-03: 69.0" - 67 days w/ 1"+ snowcover

Also, not sure what kind of greenup time is normal for PHL, but this is the earliest you will ever see here (a month earlier than normal).

Archived