Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Observations and Discussions

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a high of 83 yesterday, but don't know if that broke the record for mby. Already sitting at 70 here @ work. (Vinnings area)

You're right down the street from me. I'm at South Cobb Drive and Austell Road at work. Temp just ticked up to 74.1 and Dobbins is reporting 74 at the 10:55AM update. 81 will be an easy task. I think 85 today is a reasonable target.

Unbelievable that we are getting summer-like temps now. We are even getting pop-up storms in NC with tops 45,000ft or higher. That's common in summer.

So far 139 locations in the US have either been near record high to have broken their record high. That's impressive for this early in the year.

76 here right now and our average high is 46. The most amazing thing is the warm temps aren't going anywhere soon. Even up here the 7 day is nothing but low to mid 70s...and while I'm no huge fan of heat it's nice to have while it lasts as we'll likely have some more cold days up here before it gets warm for good.

Although if I was back in Atlanta now I'd be complaining about the 80s...we get plenty of heat from May to September down there!

Pretty mean severe thunderstorm in Mars Hill, NC.

Severe Thunderstorm

62 dBZ

Severe Hail: 90%

Hail: 100%

Max Size: 1.50"

Top: 30,000 ft.

VIL: 48 kg/m²

We have had thunder around us all afternoon. Bouncing off the Mnts. makes for really cool audio show. The rain is up to its usual Weaverville tricks though as we have scored a robust......0.02" today. Weather has cooled us off to 65.8°.

Currently 80 and windy. Seabreeze just moved through about 20minutes ago. Loving this weather. We just need some rain though because we are in a severe drought still even though the drought is way better than last week according to the drought monitor. Made it up to 87 today. Might make it up to 90 tomorrow.

From the SPC:

MID-MS/TN VALLEYS AND GULF STATES EWD TO ATLANTIC COAST...

AS MENTIONED ABOVE...MULTIPLE CONVECTIVELY-GENERATED VORTICITY MAXIMA ARE PRESENT EARLY THIS MORNING...TWO OF WHICH WERE LOCATED OVER WRN WV AND SRN IL AS OF 12Z. THE LATTER IS ASSOCIATED WITH CONSIDERABLE NOCTURNAL TSTM DEVELOPMENT AND AN ORGANIZED COLD POOL EXTENDING FROM MIDDLE TN WWD INTO NERN AR.

12Z OBSERVED SOUNDINGS SUGGEST THAT THE ONSET OF DIABATIC WARMING IN THE BOUNDARY LAYER WILL YIELD A MODERATELY UNSTABLE AIR MASS /I.E. SBCAPE VALUES OF 1500-2500 J PER KG/ LATER TODAY OVER A FAIRLY WIDESPREAD AREA. TSTMS SHOULD GRADUALLY INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY THIS AFTERNOON...FOCUSED ALONG AND AHEAD OF ABOVE-MENTIONED COLD POOL...THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE CNTRL/SRN APPALACHIANS...AND A LEE TROUGH DEVELOPING OVER THE PIEDMONT. GENERALLY WEAK VERTICAL SHEAR IS EXPECTED TO LIMIT THE POTENTIAL FOR LONGER-LIVED AND ORGANIZED STORM MODES. NONETHELESS...PULSE AND MULTICELL STORM CLUSTERS APPEAR PROBABLE WITH AN ASSOCIATED RISK FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND SOME HAIL.

This sounds like an early sumner type discussion

High today of 85, tomorrow more of the same before a chance of sprinkles on Friday ^_^

I got to 85.3 yesterday. Plus, it was the day I agreed with my neighbor to take down 4 of his oaks for the fire wood. It nearly killed me :) It was like the dead of summer. Funny how you can't beg a cold day in winter, but getting a summer day in winter is as easy as falling off a log. This year, so far, has been the poster child for "Weather Extremes I Hate". T

SPC:

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0266

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1240 PM CDT FRI MAR 16 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...NRN AL...NW GA...SE TN

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY

VALID 161740Z - 161945Z

THUNDERSTORMS WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

MARGINALLY SEVERE HAIL AND GUSTY WINDS WILL BE THE MAIN THREAT WITH

PULSE-LIKE CONVECTION THROUGH THE AFTERNOON HOURS.

ADDITIONALLY...SLOW STORM MOTION WILL ALLOW FOR LOCALLY HEAVY

DOWNPOURS.

THUNDERSTORMS WERE DEVELOPING AHEAD OF AN OUTFLOW BOUNDARY FROM

EARLY MORNING CONVECTION ACROSS MIDDLE TN. AS TEMPERATURES HAVE

WARMED INTO THE MID 70S TO LOW 80S EARLY THIS AFTERNOON...THE AIR

MASS HAS BECOME UNCAPPED WITH SBCAPE VALUES NEAR 2000 J/KG. PER

REGIONAL 12Z RAOBS AND LATEST MESOANALYSIS...STEEP MIDLEVEL LAPSE

RATES NEAR 7-7.5 DEG C/KM COMBINED WITH AFOREMENTIONED MODERATE

INSTABILITY WILL LEAD TO ROBUST UPDRAFTS. HOWEVER...IN THE ABSENCE

OF DEEP LAYER FORCING FOR ASCENT AND VERY WEAK EFFECTIVE SHEAR

/10-15 KT/...STRONG UPDRAFTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE BRIEF. THEREFORE

ORGANIZED SEVERE WEATHER IS NOT ANTICIPATED AND ONLY SPORADIC

INSTANCES OF LARGE HAIL ARE EXPECTED AND A WW IS NOT NEED.

Here's the graphic to go along with the discussion. Pretty decent pop up storms are firing ahead of that outflow boundary. Pretty weird for mid March...I'm trying to remember a pattern this summer-like this early in the year and I can't. If we can get a really good cold system to dive down to the mid south with all this heat and instability that's been building in recent days/weeks, you could really see something nasty.

post-1217-0-68316200-1331923659.gif

I got to 85.3 yesterday. Plus, it was the day I agreed with my neighbor to take down 4 of his oaks for the fire wood. It nearly killed me :) It was like the dead of summer. Funny how you can't beg a cold day in winter, but getting a summer day in winter is as easy as falling off a log. This year, so far, has been the poster child for "Weather Extremes I Hate". T

It's funny how easy it is to get a hot day in the winter, but what are the chances we ever get a cold day in the summer ?

Archived