Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Observations and Discussions

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Below freezing this morning, back-yard temp reading 28 degrees. Looking at the extended models, this "might" be the last time many of us get to freezing until next year. We ussually see that early April freeze; but this is not a ussual year.

I think alot of people will see sub-freezing nights in April.... It always happens here!

I'm sure glad you've been getting "some" rain. I got another 1/2 inch the other night. It's almost gotten to the point when the models show rain, I'm expecting "rain", not a half hour of drizzle, lol. I know I'm apt to pay for my hubris, but for these last few weeks, I've begun to believe in the certitude of rain again...like in my youth when I could play in the gutter during thunderstorms, and a wall of water rushed down the street. Not like the last few years when I could walk across the yard during a rain storm, and not get wet :) Tony

Some rain is better than no rain :hug: I'm up to .82 for the month and that is only -.47 below normal making it the closest "normal" I've had in many, many months. What bothers me is the fact that the temps are running 5.3 above normal already for this month and I sure wouldn't like that trend to continue. I've had enough heat these past two summers to last me a lifetime :lol:

OK I know you are a Met but this just destroyed everything I thought I knew about math.

:lol::lol:

Hi guys I'm back from my honeymoon vacation. The night of the storms was the night before my wedding. Watching live TV of a debris signature running over my home or very nearby was horrifying. Luckily I'm ok and so are my family, friends and property. I thought I was watching a live radar picture of my home getting destroyed that night. Honestly a terrifying moment. I was in Jasper, GA that night away from Marietta as my wedding was the next day in Big Canoe, GA. It was a beautiful wedding and could not have been more perfect. It was followed up by a perfect week long honeymoon in the western Caribbean. I got quite a few PM's over the last week asking if I was ok. Every last one meant a lot to me and they are very appreciated. It's nice to have a second family who genuinely cares about me. I was greeted by 1.70" in the bucket when I got home tonight btw, we got much more up in the mountains that night of the storms. I did not have a gauge but it was easily over 3 inches and if I had to guess I'd say probably five+ inches that night. A truly epic thumping of rain the night before my wedding up there. I went to sleep to the sounds of the heavens opening up. Looks like upper 70's to near 80 in the near future following the rains the next day or so! Spring is here it seems. The dogwoods went into overdrive the past week here in Marietta. I did not see much of them when I left and today they were beautiful. Not sure if this is banter/obs/discussion of all three but I hope this is the right place for a post like this! Thanks again for the concern guys! I'm back and look forward to participating in some good weather discussions.

Hi guys I'm back from my honeymoon vacation. The night of the storms was the night before my wedding. Watching live TV of a debris signature running over my home or very nearby was horrifying. Luckily I'm ok and so are my family, friends and property. I thought I was watching a live radar picture of my home getting destroyed that night. Honestly a terrifying moment. I was in Jasper, GA that night away from Marietta as my wedding was the next day in Big Canoe, GA. It was a beautiful wedding and could not have been more perfect. It was followed up by a perfect week long honeymoon in the western Caribbean. I got quite a few PM's over the last week asking if I was ok. Every last one meant a lot to me and they are very appreciated. It's nice to have a second family who genuinely cares about me. I was greeted by 1.70" in the bucket when I got home tonight btw, we got much more up in the mountains that night of the storms. I did not have a gauge but it was easily over 3 inches and if I had to guess I'd say probably five+ inches that night. A truly epic thumping of rain the night before my wedding up there. I went to sleep to the sounds of the heavens opening up. Thanks again for the concern guys! I'm back and look forward to participating in some good weather discussions. Looks like upper 70's to near 80 in the near future following the rains the next day or so! Spring is here it seems. The dogwoods went into overdrive the past week here in Marietta. I did not see much of them when I left and today they were beautiful. Not sure if this is banter/obs/discussion of all three but I hope this is the right place for a post like this!

Jesus that would be awful...

Glad nothing bad came about, especially considering what this supercell looked like not long before going over Marietta.

Hi guys I'm back from my honeymoon vacation. The night of the storms was the night before my wedding. Watching live TV of a debris signature running over my home or very nearby was horrifying. Luckily I'm ok and so are my family, friends and property. I thought I was watching a live radar picture of my home getting destroyed that night. Honestly a terrifying moment. I was in Jasper, GA that night away from Marietta as my wedding was the next day in Big Canoe, GA. It was a beautiful wedding and could not have been more perfect. It was followed up by a perfect week long honeymoon in the western Caribbean. I got quite a few PM's over the last week asking if I was ok. Every last one meant a lot to me and they are very appreciated. It's nice to have a second family who genuinely cares about me. I was greeted by 1.70" in the bucket when I got home tonight btw, we got much more up in the mountains that night of the storms. I did not have a gauge but it was easily over 3 inches and if I had to guess I'd say probably five+ inches that night. A truly epic thumping of rain the night before my wedding up there. I went to sleep to the sounds of the heavens opening up. Looks like upper 70's to near 80 in the near future following the rains the next day or so! Spring is here it seems. The dogwoods went into overdrive the past week here in Marietta. I did not see much of them when I left and today they were beautiful. Not sure if this is banter/obs/discussion of all three but I hope this is the right place for a post like this! Thanks again for the concern guys! I'm back and look forward to participating in some good weather discussions.

Glad to hear everything was ok once you got home :hug: Congrats to you and your beautiful wife :wub:

Good grief, I bet that was horrifying. Thank god your place was ok. It's terrible to hear of people losing their property on the news but to know someone who did would really be awful. (I know not nearly as awful as the person who suffers the damage but you know what I mean) I am very glad to hear you didn't suffer any damage.

Anywho, it sure looks likes spring is here to say via the long range euro/gfs. Amazing how warm the country is going to be..and for such a long time per these models. Although I'm glad to see it, as I said, I hope we don't pay for it in april. It's been my thought all along that we would have a warm and awful winter and a cool to cold spring. Such an extreme pattern we are seeing on the models really makes me worry we will see a rubber band effect with respect to the pattern down the line.

But in the mean time, I am going to enjoy it. I've been sick of this "like warm" or "luke cool" crap we have had this winter.

32/32 this am from the airport valid 735. Dewpoint hovered around freezing for most of the night and ended up with a -frost. Yesterday dropped to 28/27 in the am, heavy frost on almost everything exposed. Seems to be a little cold pocket I have noticed through parts of the coastal plain, within about 30 miles of the river basins this time of year, lowlands I guess. Break out the shorts, EC hinting at a slight reprieve for the weekend, the extended is looking rather mild and has been for the past 4-7 days. I saw several wasps today, and while uncertain, likely a small swarm of termites kicked up in the sw wind 10-15. :maphot:

High temperature is a few degrees warmer than advertised with the previous 66 now at 70 max. In fact it now looks like the low 80s could be doable around my area for Wednesday with the upper ridge looking to be a tad stronger. Not even May yet. Then again, if anyone recall during the early part of April 2010, highs in some spots were around 90 or just a tad hotter at that time (I believe KCAE recorded 91 and 92 for April 5/6), which felt dreadful for that time of year IMO.

I'm glad you and your loved ones are ok. I know how you feel. Obviously last April was gut wrenching for me and my family/friends...luckily no one was hurt. My dad's house in Raleigh sustained damage...watching a TVS over my grandparents house near Rolesville and their phone cutting out was not good. Even if you know the weather the realistic thing is you can only do so much to protect your loved ones....glad it's all ok for ya.

Good grief, I bet that was horrifying. Thank god your place was ok. It's terrible to hear of people losing their property on the news but to know someone who did would really be awful. (I know not nearly as awful as the person who suffers the damage but you know what I mean) I am very glad to hear you didn't suffer any damage.

Anywho, it sure looks likes spring is here to say via the long range euro/gfs. Amazing how warm the country is going to be..and for such a long time per these models. Although I'm glad to see it, as I said, I hope we don't pay for it in april. It's been my thought all along that we would have a warm and awful winter and a cool to cold spring. Such an extreme pattern we are seeing on the models really makes me worry we will see a rubber band effect with respect to the pattern down the line.

But in the mean time, I am going to enjoy it. I've been sick of this "like warm" or "luke cool" crap we have had this winter.

dam dude that's awful! glad everything worked out and that's why i dont care fore spring storms/tornadoes..too much is at risk and lost!

Lookout, i couldn't agree more about the rubber band happening in April. It wouldn't surprise me to see snow next month to be honest. Although I am enjoying the fishing tournaments not freezing all day long lately.

74 for Tuesday's high and tomorrow will be the first shot in a while to potentially get to at least 80. In fact, midnight temperature is 64 and for the first time, it feels like a cool summer night with the first sound of crickets chirping outside. The closest that any rain managed to get to was a storm up in Lincolnton. It was just strong enough that it managed to drop small hail before weakening. Here are a couple of shots of that storm.

Both pictures were taken via the Nintendo 3DS. I'm standing beside East Franklin Blvd. just before you get to N and S Broad St.

hni0031u.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hni0032f.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lookout, i couldn't agree more about the rubber band happening in April. It wouldn't surprise me to see snow next month to be honest. Although I am enjoying the fishing tournaments not freezing all day long lately.

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least some mountain snow either. You just don't have these long and extreme patterns for so long without it bouncing back to some degree.

It sure would suck too to get used to 70s and 80s for a few weeks only for it to turn cold (30s or even upper 20s and upper 50s to mid 60s for highs) and naturally it would be windy most likely, which makes it even worse. Cold snaps in april just feels miserable to me and sours my mood...even though such temps in winter I would be complaining it's too damn warm lol. But I swear to you, the worst weather days to me, besides those high humidity 90/100 degree summer days, is temps in the 50s/low 60s and windy in late march/april. I absolutely hate it.

Anywho, forecast high today is 82 and 85 tomorrow. Yesterday, I think, ffc was forecasting 86 tomorrow here. Hard to believe we will be just a few degrees from 90..regardless.

The weather is nice and warm today, already at 70. Looks like we're gonna go above 80, maybe? The record at PTI is 82 and most forecasts have us hitting 79-81 so maybe a tie in the record books? We need to start getting some rain, sitting dead on .5 for the month so far here. Dont even need to mention the pain in the ass the pollen is already!

Unbelievable that we are getting summer-like temps now. We are even getting pop-up storms in NC with tops 45,000ft or higher. That's common in summer.

So far 139 locations in the US have either been near record high to have broken their record high. That's impressive for this early in the year.

Unbelievable that we are getting summer-like temps now. We are even getting pop-up storms in NC with tops 45,000ft or higher. That's common in summer.

So far 139 locations in the US have either been near record high to have br oken their record high. That's impressive for this early in the year.

Then you look at Alaska and thier extreme the other way COLD.

Archived