• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Observations and Discussions

Well February is done, that means we are only *nine* months away from the Met Winter of 2012-2013 lol.

Anyways what does March have in store for the southeast? Severe weather, heavy rains, or maybe even a late season snow for someone?...

Currently showers and storms across the region tonight with the potential for isolated severe storms. Main focus in the short-term turns to the next system this Friday and Saturday that will bring some more severe weather.

Post your any short-term discussions, and obs as you get them...

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well February is done, that means we are only ten months away from the Met Winter of 2012-2013 lol.

Anyways what does March have in store for the southeast? Severe weather, heavy rains, or maybe even a late season snow for someone?...

Currently showers and storms across the region tonight with the potential for isolated severe storms. Main focus in the short-term turns to the next system this Friday and Saturday that will bring some more severe weather.

Post your any short-term discussions, and obs as you get them...

If i remember correctly, last March was very, very wet. March tends to be our wettest month I believe.

Kind of blurrs the line between short and mid term, Sunday, about 3 days out. GFS has been consistent in stregthening the front along the coast for several days, likely in response to this strong vort and sharp upper level trough crashing in on the backside. Another cold chasing the moisture deal, and while the model shows 1/10" falling with 850's below 0C here, warm layer below that usually does not mix out in time. 1/10" includes the clipper type also, 6z gfs text for PGV... One would think that whatever falls with 500-1000 thick in the mid-upper 520's would be frozen.

post-382-0-53259500-1330609717.jpg

MHX mentioned the Euro's surface wave in the overnight package, but is not buying it.

SYSTEM TO MOVE OUT OF AREA SUNDAY. ECMWF SHOWING A SURFACE

REFLECTION MOVING THROUGH MONDAY AS UPPER TROUGH DROPS THROUGH THE

AREA. THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY OTHER MODELS SO WILL NOT BUY INTO IT.

If anything, this GFS run is more bullish than the 0z Euro, which is mainly dry for the clipper type, but still does pop a low off the VA Capes, similar to what we saw it doing in this period 4-5 days ago. More food for thought, likely heavily salted, couple of the 6z GFS mems are developing a slp to the south near ILM, first run I have seen any of the mems do this so something to keep an eye on over the weekend.

06zensp005p06084.gif

06zensp006p06090.gif

06zensp007p06084.gif

March definitely coming in like a lamb today.With the disappointing winter we've had makes you wonder how this March will turn out.

I want winter snows and cold as much ,if not more , than any on the this site but this nice weather ,72 degrees, sure is hard to beat.My family and I are going on a cruise in June.First time cruiser ,on a ship,but this type of weather makes me look even more foward to the trip .

I

That first slug of rain sure washed out as it made it's way from Charlotte to the Triangle area. 0.6" North of Albemarle (via GR3), and we've gotten the token sprinkle from the same batch. Nice line of showers and storms pushing NE from along the SC/NC border. WeatherTAP shows quite a bit of lightning embedded within that line.

We have had some significant tornado damage from the 2 tornadoes this morning in Madison County, AL. 1 was rain-wrapped.

Damage has been north of Huntsville, in the Harvest, Meridianville areas. Some of the same areas hit last year, April 27th.

Not looking forward to round 2 later today.

Archived