Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2 Severe Potential and Observations

Indystorm

CENTRAL_ETA212_ATMOS_STP_57HR.gif

I realize that there is a thread on the main page for this system, but it covers such a large geographical area that I want something a bit smaller to focus on as we near and experience the event.  Right now the clown maps for STP for the Wabash Valley, southern IL and Indiana for 21z on Friday March 2 are very potent and worrisome.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CENTRAL_ETA212_ATMOS_STP_57HR.gif I realize that there is a thread on the main page for this system, but it covers such a large geographical area that I want something a bit smaller to focus on as we near and experience the event. Right now the clown maps for STP for the Wabash Valley, southern IL and Indiana for 21z on Friday March 3 are very potent and worrisome.

Also interesting to note those two small dots of 7+ on the tornado index in western Illinois. Just west of Peoria (in the Elmwood area, whose downtown had an F2 on 6/5/10) and over most of Henry County. Possibly some wrap-around severe from ILX northwest to DVN behind the main system Friday afternoon?

12z NAM was on the stronger/western end of the solutions. 18z NAM backed down a little but still very impressive. This is looking like one of those days that will require close monitoring. One thing we can say with relative certainty...fast storm motions of 50-70 mph are likely so it will give little time to act.

12z NAM was on the stronger/western end of the solutions. 18z NAM backed down a little but still very impressive. This is looking like one of those days that will require close monitoring. One thing we can say with relative certainty...fast storm motions of 50-70 mph are likely so it will give little time to act.

Yeah the 12z NAM was def an outlier. Wouldn't be suprised to see the NAM back off a bit more.

00z NAM forecast soundings are horrendous in the OV Fri afternoon/evening.

The NAM Has some of the best looking soundings I've seen in this area in a while. Seriously concerning for the OV if that pans out. Let's see what the GFS does.

The NAM Has some of the best looking soundings I've seen in this area in a while. Seriously concerning for the OV if that pans out. Let's see what the GFS does.

Hard to believe this will be the first week of March. The CAPE/shear is reminiscent of what has been seen in some of the bigger outbreaks in this region.  Obviously there's a lot more to it than indices and I'm not willing to call for a large event quite yet, but the NAM environment is volatile.  Now we wait for the GFS to come in more subdued lol

I just checked a hodo west of Cincinnati at 21z and my jaw dropped.

It also looks like its hinting at a secondary SLP near the Memphis area at 00z.

As has been discussed elsewhere, if that secondary forms to back winds from the TN valley northward to the Ohio Valley this increases the concern greatly.

Maybe a little contest here? What do YOU think the SPC will do in the updated DAY 2 outlook??? Will there be a moderate risk area? How far north will it be? Will there be a hatched tornado risk and wind damage area??? Where will it be???

I think there will be a MDT especially if the GFS comes in anything like the NAM.

Maybe a little contest here? What do YOU think the SPC will do in the updated DAY 2 outlook??? Will there be a moderate risk area? How far north will it be? Will there be a hatched tornado risk and wind damage area??? Where will it be???

That's only on Day 1 outlooks.

Archived