joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2 Severe Potential and Observations

Indystorm

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised they didn't go high, but that is a very strongly worded moderate. For all who are chasing or living in these areas tomorrow, stay safe and good luck!

Yeah they left themselves a lot of wiggle room to put in a high, which I would expect by 1300Z

I'm still rather lukewarm on the tornado outbreak potential of this event, given the progged veered surface winds across much of the warm sector, particularly over the southern half of the moderate risk area. Models have generally underdone the backing of the surface winds over the warm sector in quite a few past events, although I'm not so sure the trough evolution and the banana-shaped surface trough supports such a backing of the surface winds this time around. Surface obs and high resolution models tomorrow will hopefully resolve this issue. Regardless, the high wind threat may well be the main story with this event, and it might be substantial enough to warrant a high risk.

I'm still rather lukewarm on the tornado outbreak potential of this event, given the progged veered surface winds across much of the warm sector, particularly over the southern half of the moderate risk area. Models have generally underdone the backing of the surface winds over the warm sector in quite a few past events, although I'm not so sure the trough evolution and the banana-shaped surface trough supports such a backing of the surface winds this time around. Surface obs and high resolution models tomorrow will hopefully resolve this issue. Regardless, the high wind threat may well be the main story with this event, and it might be substantial enough to warrant a high risk.

+1, I've been feeling this way about the event all day but never got the time (or the words) to express it. Things can change though and everyone will (as they should) be on their toes tomorrow now/near-casting the situation.

http://beta.wxcaster.com/cgi-bin/parse_skewt_trace_all.cgi?model=NAM&STATIONID=KLAF

The 00z NAM forecast sounding for Lafayette, IN is impressive from a low CAPE, very high shear (34 kt 0-1 km shear, 225 m2/s2 0-1 helicity) perspective at 21z. In addition, the 0-3 km CAPE is 140 j/kg, which is where you'd want the CAPE in this set-up. Though the potential for severe is certainly higher farther southeast, can't rule it out in the far east central IL, west central Indiana area.

http://beta.wxcaster...&STATIONID=KLAF

The 00z NAM forecast sounding for Lafayette, IN is impressive from a low CAPE, very high shear (34 kt 0-1 km shear, 225 m2/s2 0-1 helicity) perspective at 21z. In addition, the 0-3 km CAPE is 140 j/kg, which is where you'd want the CAPE in this set-up. Though the potential for severe is certainly higher farther southeast, can't rule it out in the far east central IL, west central Indiana area.

You're reading my mind.

CENTRAL_ETA212_0-3KM_CAPE_21HR.gif

You're reading my mind.

That's what had me concerned at work today, the extreme wind fields with this system, plus the low, but present CAPE. For a presentation back in November, I took a look at the SPC Mesoanalysis archive for the 10/26/10 tornadoes in the LOT CWA. The RUC actually analyzed 0 CAPE (which had to be underdone), but we still had those 4 tornadoes. Just shows what extreme shear parameters can do. The SOO a few days ago also mentioned his concern in this set-up for gravity waves propagating northeast, which could aid low level rotation like the May 25 2011 tornadoes.

That's what had me concerned at work today, the extreme wind fields with this system, plus the low, but present CAPE. For a presentation back in November, I took a look at the SPC Mesoanalysis archive for the 10/26/10 tornadoes in the LOT CWA. The RUC actually analyzed 0 CAPE (which had to be underdone), but we still had those 4 tornadoes. Just shows what extreme shear parameters can do. The SOO a few days ago also mentioned his concern in this set-up for gravity waves propagating northeast, which could aid low level rotation like the May 25 2011 tornadoes.

Yep, quite familiar with the 25 May case, and I could definitely see it happening, especially with the rapidly deepening low.

Thanks Hoosier. Looks like I will be past Indy by that time. What are you thinking for Seymour right now? I know you can't predict if we will actually see a tornado but we are in a peculiar situation tomorrow huh?

Yeah, you're basically in a prime threat area. That's all that can be said.

Yep, quite familiar with the 25 May case, and I could definitely see it happening, especially with the rapidly deepening low.

Regarding the outlooks, May 25th didn't have a high (or a mention of a high) at 06z, but ended up being the largest high risk in area covered of all of last year.

Probably going to get a severe t-storm watch down here ahead of the strong warm advection tonight. Should mostly be elevated cells.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 54

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

210 AM CST FRI MAR 2 2012

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 54 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 AM CST

FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

MOC007-011-013-015-019-027-029-037-039-051-053-055-057-059-065-

071-073-077-083-085-089-097-099-101-105-107-109-113-125-131-135-

139-141-151-159-161-163-167-169-183-185-186-187-189-195-215-217-

219-221-225-229-510-021300-

/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0054.120302T0810Z-120302T1300Z/

MO

. MISSOURI COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

AUDRAIN BARTON BATES

BENTON BOONE CALLAWAY

CAMDEN CASS CEDAR

COLE COOPER CRAWFORD

DADE DALLAS DENT

FRANKLIN GASCONADE GREENE

HENRY HICKORY HOWARD

JASPER JEFFERSON JOHNSON

LACLEDE LAFAYETTE LAWRENCE

LINCOLN MARIES MILLER

MONITEAU MONTGOMERY MORGAN

OSAGE PETTIS PHELPS

PIKE POLK PULASKI

SALINE ST. CHARLES ST. CLAIR

ST. FRANCOIS ST. LOUIS STE. GENEVIEVE

TEXAS VERNON WARREN

WASHINGTON WEBSTER WRIGHT

MISSOURI INDEPENDENT CITIES INCLUDED ARE

ST. LOUIS CITY

$$

ATTN...WFO...LSX...SGF...EAX...

The lowering heights per mesoanalysis suggests that more a west solution may end up verifying with regards to track of the primary surface low, perhaps up towards Chicago or somewhere in that vicinity.

post-6489-0-07758200-1330676608.gif

It's the RUC/HRRR vs the world regarding track. Every model besides them take the low into MI later tonight.

Archived