• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Our region's extreme run

MN Transplant

That would qualify as an obliteration. I wonder what the biggest gap between 1 and 2 is for any of the months.

According to my records, the biggest gap is 1.8 degrees for both DC monthly all-time maximum and minimum average temperatures. October 2007 broke the maximum record with a 67.0 average temperature vs. 65.2 in October 1984.  August 1927 broke the minimum record with a 70.0 average temperature vs. 71.8 in August 1903.  By the way, weather.com currently shows forecasts that would bring the DCA December 2015 average to 50.4 degrees -- erasing the all-time high winter month average temperature of 48.0 set in January 1950.

I think these are all just gridded so I doubt someone necessarily was like hey let's forecast a December record for min temps but it's there for Thurs now.  Guess it could come down to midnight that night too though.

ycoweS9.png

I think these are all just gridded so I doubt someone necessarily was like hey let's forecast a December record for min temps but it's there for Thurs now.  Guess it could come down to midnight that night too though.

ycoweS9.png

There is input from forecasters.  Also of note, that would not be a BWI record, which is an astonishing 62 from 12/22/2013

There is input from forecasters.  Also of note, that would not be a BWI record, which is an astonishing 62 from 12/22/2013

Well I know there's input meant more like I figured no one was specifically thinking let's forecast a Dec record... but maybe. That's kind of ballsy if so from this range esp given the station didn't perform too admirably last go. But models do have a fairly high dew point environment most of the day. IAD also has a 62 record from that day... DCA must have gotten river winded. :P

Well I know there's input meant more like I figured no one was specifically thinking let's forecast a Dec record... but maybe. That's kind of ballsy if so from this range esp given the station didn't perform too admirably last go. But models do have a fairly high dew point environment most of the day. IAD also has a 62 record from that day... DCA must have gotten river winded. :P

Looks like it... low was just before midnight

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDCA/2013/12/22/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

That would qualify as an obliteration. I wonder what the biggest gap between 1 and 2 is for any of the months.

I looked up BWI and found the biggest gap between #1 and #2 hottest of any month is 1.7 degrees between Nov. 1931 (54.7 degrees) and Nov. 1948 (53 degrees).

Here's the gap in degrees between #1 and #2 in all 12 months:

Jan 0.5
Feb 0.2
Mar 1.1
Apr 0.8
May 0.3
Jun 0.9
Jul 0.2
Aug 0.3
Sep 1.0
Oct 0.3
Nov 1.7
Dec 0.3

WDOR???  If you're asking whether DCA will bring the record for the warmest December in DC history, I would say it's about 95% certain, and about 75% that it will break the record for the warmest winter month in DC history. 

Yeah I think it's pretty much a lock though I haven't run 'cold' numbers to see what we'd need to miss it.

The highest minimum for any day in Dec at DCA is 59° on 12/5/1973.  That record is in big trouble.

Was about to say NWS forecast is 63 now Christmas Eve morning. GFS/Euro suggest it's above that thru midnight. Even possible we get it two days in a row if Euro is right. 

What's the most anomalous single day departure on record for the airports? We're looking at a +30 or so for xmas eve?

For BWI, using the 1981-2010 normals, I think 1/26/1950 might hold the record for biggest positive departure- I calculated a +37 departure for that day.

12/22/2013 was a +32 departure and the next best one I know of.

For negative departure, I got -37 for 2/10/1899 and -33 for 1/19/1994.

There may be others but that's the best I'm aware of.

Something else I was wondering but don't have enough data- what's the record for most number of 70+ degree days in December (and also any winter month) for BWI?

December

DCA 5 in 1982

IAD 5 in 1998 and 1982

BWI 5 in 1998

Winter

DCA 7 in 1976

IAD 6 in 1976

BWI 6 in Feb 1976

Super quick look at the records finds 75/60 on Jan 13, 1932 (+32 vs current norms, would be higher against the old numbers).

I think you are correct for the average temperature in DC.  Looking only at the maximum, I believe that January 26, 1950 has it, with a high of 79 -- 35.2 degrees above the current normal high of 43.8 for January 26th.