• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
KPVD Micro-climate?

H2Otown_WX

For the past week and a half, the Wxchallenge, a competition for college meteorology students, alums and professors has been forecasting for KPVD. This city by far has been the most challenging when it comes to forecasting low temperatures. I'm curious as to why they radiate so well. I suppose this has something to do with being in a valley where the colder air pools at night but it's also pretty close to the water which I thought would have a moderating effect.

T.F. Green ( KPVD), radiates well some nights esp. with a W,NW,N breeze but no so well with a SW,S, and SE to E breeze. They are in Warwick, R.I. KSFZ, just to the N, radiates Much better. My friend hires the Aviation Contract Observers there and has worked many shifts at KPVD so I'll put you in touch with him if you want to win this contest. Max TT's are modified by that SW,S and SE wind as well. I've seen them torch on W and NW winds too. I'm a climo freak..as you already know.

T.F. Green ( KPVD), radiates well some nights esp. with a W,NW,N breeze but no so well with a SW,S, and SE to E breeze. They are in Warwick, R.I. KSFZ, just to the N, radiates Much better. My friend hires the Aviation Contract Observers there and has worked many shifts at KPVD so I'll put you in touch with him if you want to win this contest. Max TT's are modified by that SW,S and SE wind as well. I've seen them torch on W and NW winds too. I'm a climo freak..as you already know.

Thanks for the info Paul. I have seen the effects of adiabatic heating off those W and NW winds which makes sense given the considerably higher elevations to their west and northwest. They are certainly not radiating too well tonight. The contest is over Friday unfortunately lol, I don't think I can win. I'm just hoping to do better these final two nights.

Go 10 miles west of KPVD and subtract another 10 degrees on clear/calm nights. Western Coventry and West Greenwich usually record the coldest temperatures of the winter in RI in most winters. Areas far southwest of Warwick such as Exeter, Hopkinton can also see lows far below zero when Warwick is in the single digits.

Archived