• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Aurora Borealis Tonight over New England?

wxeyeNH

I am not an expert on these thing but I guess there was a couple of big solar flares in the past day or so. There has been some spectacular sightings over Europe. We currently are in a new moon phase and with enough clear skies perhaps tonight there could be some nice views. Seems like everytime there is a flare we are clouded over up here but better chance of clear skies to my SE. Definately something to watch for.

Comments?

Gene

I am not an expert on these thing but I guess there was a couple of big solar flares in the past day or so. There has been some spectacular sightings over Europe. We currently are in a new moon phase and with enough clear skies perhaps tonight there could be some nice views. Seems like everytime there is a flare we are clouded over up here but better chance of clear skies to my SE. Definately something to watch for.

Comments?

Gene

Gene, I think there's a chance particularly in your area without light contamination.

A couple of friends and I used to climb up a couple hundred feet of Burke Mountain and watch the Lights from there.

Last time I saw the lights, was when I was at Lyndon. Always use to be awesome from up from there.

Link to the Aurora forecast:

http://www.swpc.noaa...p/gif/pmapN.gif

I miss seeing it every year....I remember how awesome it was when I was at Lyndon.

I am somewhat familiar with what to look at for a K index (Kp >5), but what's up with the Bz? I have no idea what it's about...

Thanks!

a southward (negative) pointing Bz lets solar energy become injected into earths atmosphere, leading to a disturbance of the geomagnetic field, which is picked up by magnetometers, and that data is used to calculate the Kp. a northward Bz repels and makes northern lights pretty much impossible for us.

The longer and more negative the Bz, the better. A Bz of of -20 would be delightful.

Archived