• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

That actually happens quite often, Like you said, We have different models keying on the different waves in the pattern only to finally come into agreement on which one becomes the more dominant, Timing plays a role in all this as well, We should start to see some better model agreement hopefully starting at 00z if not by 12z tomorrow as we are starting to get inside the window of some of the better models namely the Euro.

Yeah BTV was leaning toward the GFS solution (IDK why) but we'll see. If the GFS comes in like 18z did, its def a trend toward the more amplified Euro, which honestly is kind of expected at 60 hours out with both models' track records over the last few winters.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think there is anything synoptically that leads to a colder outcome?

I don't see it, We don't have a real dominant high to the north and the air over eastern canada looks cold not frigid so we will have to work with what we have it seems, My concerns is that we continue to see tics NW as we would have with a stronger system and no real blocking to speak of, Obviously if we could get this to track further SE we could hold on to what cold air we have longer and probably sustain more frozen precip, But my best guess is for here anyways that will be the foothills, mtns and northern maine up to vim toot!

Yeah BTV was leaning toward the GFS solution (IDK why) but we'll see. If the GFS comes in like 18z did, its def a trend toward the more amplified Euro, which honestly is kind of expected at 60 hours out with both models' track records over the last few winters.

The Nam is really the model that is tracking this system further SE and colder then the others, But its out on an island and i would not trust it after its performance of late, It did nail the qpf along with the gfs in the last storm that i saw 8" here though, If we continue to see the euro and gfs hold serve or tic NW we will have mixing issues and may even end up further inland, Ideally i would like to see a trend SE but that looks to have to come from a weaker system.

I don't see it, We don't have a real dominant high to the north and the air over eastern canada looks cold not frigid so we will have to work with what we have it seems, My concerns is that we continue to see tics NW as we would have with a stronger system and no real blocking to speak of, Obviously if we could get this to track further SE we could hold on to what cold air we have longer and probably sustain more frozen precip, But my best guess is for here anyways that will be the foothills, mtns and northern maine up to vim toot!

My gut feeling is that PF to Berlin, NH to Vim Toot does well (on the order of 4-8") whiles areas SE of that line has taint. Timing is key because 18z Friday, surface temps get close to or above 32F for almost everyone but Vim Toot.

The Nam is really the model that is tracking this system further SE and colder then the others, But its out on an island and i would not trust it after its performance of late, It did nail the qpf along with the gfs in the last storm that i saw 8" here though

Again, I really think the NAM/GFS has been playing catch to the Euro lately. The Euro handled that s/w that gave SNE 10" last weekend 100+hrs out while the GFS didn't catch on to anything until 84hrs.

I am really worried about NW ticks though. You'd think living up here that we wouldn't have to worry about that, but oh how we all love winter 2011-2012...

Again, I really think the NAM/GFS has been playing catch to the Euro lately. The Euro handled that s/w that gave SNE 10" last weekend 100+hrs out while the GFS didn't catch on to anything until 84hrs.

I am really worried about NW ticks though. You'd think living up here that we wouldn't have to worry about that, but oh how we all love winter 2011-2012...

This year definitly with a tight gradient pattern here, The ones to the north will always do well, There is a pretty good icing signal on the Euro as well with this system as the 546 thickness was 50 miles north of the 0c and 2m temps here, Looks like we have the colder american models against the warmer foreign models and probabaly won't like the outcome.

This year definitly with a tight gradient pattern here, The ones to the north will always do well, There is a pretty good icing signal on the Euro as well with this system as the 546 thickness was 50 miles north of the 0c and 2m temps here, Looks like we have the colder american models against the warmer foreign models and probabaly won't like the outcome.

Yup. the 12z EURO verbatim for N VT and even over towards you was snow to ice. no liquid, so we'll see.

Yeah they look pretty good for something 54-60hr away on the srefs...but again it the srefs I'm not sure what the negativity was about for NNE. They look pretty good for you.

Will, could you explain how they are warmer?

Based on those probs they do look good here, We will see where everthing else goes tonight

Yeah they look pretty good for something 54-60hr away on the srefs...but again it the srefs I'm not sure what the negativity was about for NNE. They look pretty good for you.

Will, could you explain how they are warmer?

The probabilities aren't the same as the mean temperatures...its possible that more qpf is getting in sooner or that there's a few warmer members skewing the mean which would not necessarily affect probabilities.

That said, this has all the classic hallmarks of a warmer trending system and I would take the SREF probs at this point with a grain of salt.

Archived