joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like the fine folks at gray nws are messin wif our heads. Especially me just south of CON with that 5 mile wide and 50 mile long 4-6 band.

This sometimes happens if you don't smooth the snowfall grids enough. The 6 hour blocks likely have a good burst of snow in that area before the changeover, and that's what you are seeing, as the next 6 hour block will be much further NE with the snow.

Keep in mind that we are constrained by the scale, so these snow amounts could be 4.1" and it falls into the 4-6" bin.

They're all holding onto each other's pony tails as they go down the hill

yes as they franticly try to steer themselves over the part of the hill with the bump

snowing moderately with nice sized flakes for last half hour. temps to mild for accumulation thou in wakefield. heading over to burlington in 35 min ....wonder if it stickin at 250' or so near rte3 burlington.

Huge flakes falling here and -sn...but it really doesn't matter at all with temps at 34/32 and a wet ground...into the log as a T.

30/29 now w/ moderate snow but as soon as the heavier echoes moved in the snow growth turned to sh*t. .25" down now, roads are slick. Hope to break 1" tonight to add to the totals.

Say a lot about the winter when our best sustained snow growth storm was in October...

It's really fun to have these products available now. Melting layer is clearly visible on the 4.3 degree scan (the starting point for derived melting layer products) around 7000 ft. Pretty clearly a sleet sounding, with the warm air that far aloft. You can also see the mid level front advancing north (just northeast of KBOX) where slightly melted ice crystals are starting to reduce the correlatoin coefficient. This is most likely marking the leading edge of sleet (despite being above freezing, there is probably some wet bulb cooling that's compensating), and it's pretty rare to see these areas of refreezing considering how close you need to be to the surface to see it.

Just by how its going so far it feels like this might be an underperformer here the flakes seem like they have refrozen a bit. Almost like snow pellets with a little flakage around the center. Have about a quarter inch or so as of right now with a temp of 31.4

Check a couple posts back, it's basically a smoothing error showing up on a coarser grid.

What are you thinking for my area up toward mark in Webster. An inch for me with a third inch glaze and maybe two for him with thicker ice accretion or am I being too hopeful?

Archived