joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium Range Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cold is out by hr 168 on the 12z GFS...short blast of cold...hardly anything unusual for February even though the mad man in State College thinks it's going to get to "near" 0 on Monday in NYC.

JB is smoking something special this year. The man is completely delusional. The last time the temp got below 10 in Feb in NYC was 8F on Feb 5, 2007. And that was following a bitter latter half of Jan and WITH widespread snowcover. The only other time in the past decade that we've gotten below 10 is back in 2003 on Feb 15 (9F). And we all know what was happening then...

I believe the last time we got to 0 or below was in Jan 1994.

cold is out by hr 168 on the 12z GFS...short blast of cold...hardly anything unusual for February even though the mad man in State College thinks it's going to get to "near" 0 on Monday in NYC.

I think he was quoted wrong, from reading his tweets he never says thats his forecast. He said the euro shows it getting down that cold. Never actually saw him say that.

I think he was quoted wrong, from reading his tweets he never says thats his forecast. He said the euro shows it getting down that cold. Never actually saw him say that.

WB post from last night:

Below the euro 48 is the arctic attack it has and implications, with -23 air at 5k, sub 495 thk and north wind and a snowcover to boot from the arctic wave that passes through on the weekend, is that NYC could get darn close to 0.

WB post from last night:

Below the euro 48 is the arctic attack it has and implications, with -23 air at 5k, sub 495 thk and north wind and a snowcover to boot from the arctic wave that passes through on the weekend, is that NYC could get darn close to 0.

yea but hes quoting what the euro shows...he doesnt say he is forecasting 0 in nyc..or is that what you are implying?

JB is smoking something special this year. The man is completely delusional. The last time the temp got below 10 in Feb in NYC was 8F on Feb 5, 2007. And that was following a bitter latter half of Jan and WITH widespread snowcover. The only other time in the past decade that we've gotten below 10 is back in 2003 on Feb 15 (9F). And we all know what was happening then...

I believe the last time we got to 0 or below was in Jan 1994.

You forgot Jan 04.

yea but hes quoting what the euro shows...he doesnt say he is forecasting 0 in nyc..or is that what you are implying?

It's often difficult to discern what his actual forecast is. Giving him the benfit of the doubt, In this case I think he's picked the model showing the most extreme event as in 'this is what could happen'. Can't imagine anyone forecasting for their livelihood actually predicting 0 in NYC in this pattern. I'd say 15

is a realistic number even with a little snowcover.

His zero potential for NYC hinges on the "emperor of the north" putting down snow with the "suprise weekend" event from the mason dixon line on north....and then the number busting low level artic air over the fresh snow. All that said....White Plains maybe NYC....no

It's often difficult to discern what his actual forecast is. Giving him the benfit of the doubt, In this case I think he's picked the model showing the most extreme event as in 'this is what could happen'. Can't imagine anyone forecasting for their livelihood actually predicting 0 in NYC in this pattern. I'd say 15

is a realistic number even with a little snowcover.

His zero potential for NYC hinges on the "emperor of the north" putting down snow with the "suprise weekend" event from the mason dixon line on north....and then the number busting low level artic air over the fresh snow. All that said....White Plains maybe NYC....no

Yea to get NYC to 0 you'd need fresh snow and 850s down to like < -30C. Last winter we had ~20" on the ground and bitterly cold 850s (not sure how low but I think they were around -25C) and the park only got down to 6F (holy hell was that a cold morning though).

Yea to get NYC to 0 you'd need fresh snow and 850s down to like < -30C. Last winter we had ~20" on the ground and bitterly cold 850s (not sure how low but I think they were around -25C) and the park only got down to 6F (holy hell was that a cold morning though).

I lived in NYC for 30 some odd years and its not easy at all. You also need the completion of the cold air advection to coincide directly with the night and for the surface winds to remain due north. The Euro ensemble means 850 temps have remained about 5-10C warmer than the op 12z run(s), I know you're going to lose some of the detail from faster or not as southward departure of the cold core, but that's a pretty sizeable discrepancy. BTW none of the 00z NAEFS ensemble members bring NYC even down to 5F (0% chance).

I lived in NYC for 30 some odd years and its not easy at all. You also need the completion of the cold air advection to coincide directly with the night and for the surface winds to remain due north. The Euro ensemble means 850 temps have remained about 5-10C warmer than the op 12z run(s), I know you're going to lose some of the detail from faster or not as southward departure of the cold core, but that's a pretty sizeable discrepancy. BTW none of the 00z NAEFS ensemble members bring NYC even down to 5F (0% chance).

Yep, that due north wind coming down the Hudson is absolutely necessary, and it has to be there at 4-6am.

See Paul's comment but he was also showing the model and saying it supported the idea of near 0 in NYC. Considering the coldest the Euro was in recent days for NYC was maybe -20 at 850...even with snow cover, you're hardpressed with urban heating to get near 0 in New York with a -20 850.

Here is JBs stand on a wintry weekend in the area

"The GFS is a) rushing energy in the northern branch out to fast..normal for it B) does not understand energy is coming from the southern branch, not all of it but enough. In fact snows will break out in the southern plains later tomorrow and MERGE near the mid atlantic with this Saturday c) is not focusing the height fall center. While no map is issued yet, and arcing 3 inch plus area from NJ to southern New england is my current idea , with other areas over 3 in the mountains of wva and va and across the lower lakes. The arctic low should travel ese and probably have its pressure fall center move through the midwest and along the mason Dixon line while a new low takes over the NC coast Saturday. The entire euro sequence is closer to my idea. Its also better on Sunday and Monday too,with the coldest air of the season into the northeast and with snow cover i am looking at 0 in boston and single digits in NYC.

So there I stand there."

rain storm has been showing up consistently for later next week, more great news for ski season

It's been brutal at Spring Mountain. It looks like they've been skiing (when they can - some nights and weekend days they are closed due to rain and temps above 40) on a combo of man-made snowcone glop and mud.

I like Iceman's 15 to be perfectly honest and like the others this past winter right or wrong I'll post the final answer on Monday or Tuesday.

Getting back to our part of the world, 4th straight run (and 3rd different state) that the Euro norluns on Saturday.

It's been brutal at Spring Mountain. It looks like they've been skiing (when they can - some nights and weekend days they are closed due to rain and temps above 40) on a combo of man-made snowcone glop and mud.

i took my son there on thursday for a lesson, he still had fun :)

12 gfs looks better for later next week ;)

I like Iceman's 15 to be perfectly honest and like the others this past winter right or wrong I'll post the final answer on Monday or Tuesday.

Getting back to our part of the world, 4th straight run (and 3rd different state) that the Euro norluns on Saturday.

If the EC from last night is right that 15 is pretty reasonable for a call.

http://raleighwx.ame...mbTSLPUS216.gif

I know it's 216 hours out but that is a pretty strong signal for a storm on the east coast from the Euro Ensembles.

Yeah, it's a strong signal for a storm, but it's not a strong snow signal for the coast. It could happen, but it would have to be a thread the needle type thing with no block and no ambient cold air. Still, a much better signal than we've seen most of the winter.

Yeah, it's a strong signal for a storm, but it's not a strong snow signal for the coast. It could happen, but it would have to be a thread the needle type thing with no block and no ambient cold air. Still, a much better signal than we've seen most of the winter.

Yeah i didn't call it a snowstorm, just a strong signal for a storm. I think the Euro and the ensembles have been beating this drum for a few runs in a row now. Hopefully for us snow lovers it trends colder and for you tropical guys, you just have to wait a little longer for the warmth! :P

Archived