• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Hudson Valley Thread

28.5/26 Light snow. Guesstimate about 5" otg. Haven't got a chance to get out and measure.

You can have the record breaker........I'm ready for spring. :sun:

May try some fishing on the Schroon River in April when I head up there to open my friends house for the season. Any good spots along the river you recommend?

Two good spots just below the dam at Starbuckville and just above the river gage in Riverbank (there a big public parking area for this zone on River road.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two good spots just below the dam at Starbuckville and just above the river gage in Riverbank (there a big public parking area for this zone on River road.

Thanks Andy. I will try the Starbuckville area. It is right around the corner from Watering Tub Rd where i fill up  my jugs of spring water. Mosquitoes are man-eaters there. :lmao:

What a disaster driving through Northern NJ during that snow on Monday. I didn't see one plow or salter in four hours of driving getting from near Somerville all the way to the Thruway in Suffern. Maybe they thought it wasn't gonna stick to the roads of something. It looks like 4-6 inches of snow brings that state to a halt. 287 was a 40  mile parking lot so I got off and took about 10 roads to get across to Suffern eventually via 17.

It was no picnic on the Thruway either up to around Newburgh, but after that the road had obviously been heavily treated with salt etc. and things got much better. 

9.4 inches was the final here.

LOL...So true. My 6" last night has brought me up to 70" for the season. Not too shabby for an hours drive from the GWB

What a disaster driving through Northern NJ during that snow on Monday. I didn't see one plow or salter in four hours of driving getting from near Somerville all the way to the Thruway in Suffern. Maybe they thought it wasn't gonna stick to the roads of something. It looks like 4-6 inches of snow brings that state to a halt. 287 was a 40  mile parking lot so I got off and took about 10 roads to get across to Suffern eventually via 17.

It was no picnic on the Thruway either up to around Newburgh, but after that the road had obviously been heavily treated with salt etc. and things got much better. 

Yeah, if it comes down hard enough as it did monday evening, the roads get atrocious around here. They don't have the monster plows doing the secondary roads, more like glorified landscaping trucks with a plow attached

I know it would break DT's heart down in VA, but I wouldn't be surprised if the late weekend event trends north enough to give the Lower Hudson Valley more snow. It will stop trending about 10 miles south of me.  hah

Had 62.5 when you last commented about me probably being over 60". That was followed by the 1.5" Saturday surprise and 6" on Monday.

It could be that some municipalities down there outfit trucks with plows for the Winter and some had already been removed.... I think maybe they assumed the snow wouldn't stick on roads.

I was in the Mid Hudson Valley today around Hudson, NY and their snow is rapidly going, but around here it barely looks like it melted today. Our low was 1F and it clearly didn't get above 32.  22 now.

I'm comparing them to the huge plows they use up North, even on the side streets. They pale in comparison down here with some plows being contracted out.

Haha, the caution signs themselves on those roads for snow/ice can be enough to create a problem.  Actually, the biggest problems I ran into during that storm came when I got caught in that squall around 8PM.  The heavy snow band during the early afternoon along with the later squall put me at a little over 12" for the storm.  Surprised to get a slight overperformer for once.

You definitely improved your snow situation a bit by gaining some latitude now in Saratoga County. I was just far enough N/W here to do pretty well at 9.4 inches....much less once below ALB.

Haha, the caution signs themselves on those roads for snow/ice can be enough to create a problem.  Actually, the biggest problems I ran into during that storm came when I got caught in that squall around 8PM.  The heavy snow band during the early afternoon along with the later squall put me at a little over 12" for the storm.  Surprised to get a slight overperformer for once.

I know it would break DT's heart down in VA, but I wouldn't be surprised if the late weekend event trends north enough to give the Lower Hudson Valley more snow. It will stop trending about 10 miles south of me.  hah

I think when all is said and done most in the lower-mid HV will be at or above 60"

It could be that some municipalities down there outfit trucks with plows for the Winter and some had already been removed.... I think maybe they assumed the snow wouldn't stick on roads.

I was in the Mid Hudson Valley today around Hudson, NY and their snow is rapidly going, but around here it barely looks like it melted today. Our low was 1F and it clearly didn't get above 32.  22 now.

I have no doubt that you will see municipal pick-up trucks with plows on them for parking lots and narrow streets but they supplement the larger fleet.  I don't know of any municipalities locally who contract out their plowing.  I do know that NYSDOT hires on seasonal workers for plowing but they use the NYSDOT trucks.  Any contractors in pick ups out there are mostly likely doing private roads and commercial drives, lots, etc.  I know in Jersey its a whole different ball game as they do contract plowing out and you'll see concrete trucks going down the road plowing.  Has anyone seen this thing yet?     http://www.towplow.com/  You can search towplow and see some intertesting videos of this thing in operation, rather impressive.  I would think it would be tough to use this around here due to all of the traffic but I know they are in use of parts of PA, VT, ME for example. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived