SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extremely light precip.

So light and brief that it actually swings through and is gone fast enough that the majority of it should come down as flakes everywhere except for SW PA.

Some spotty stuff swings through later when the temps are inductive of mix precip.

Light as in less than half of an inch?? I don't think I could take another one of those lol.

Forecasting temps here for these sort of situations must be one of the top ten toughest forecasts to make.

The worst was Christmas Eve 2009, had freezing rain much longer than expected .

It was actually Christmas Eve of 2008 when we had that ice storm I believe, and yea that one was an overachiever for sure. Just found my pics of that debacle.

Xmas eve storm

post-1507-0-58699300-1326838473.jpg

I guess our road had an oil truck that had a mishap going into a tree this morning around 5 or 6am from the icy road. The road iced up around 8pm last night so our township was def not on the ball with taking care of roads.

I'm a little weary of amounts this high given that the clipper is passing to our north and not to the south, but ratios will help with this one. Probably the first time we've been able to say that this winter.

Yeah, the clipper surface track is rather far north.

Although looks like a nice 1-2 possible northern half of Pa at least?

I am moving to Mt. Rainier

Late Afternoon: Snow showers. Steady temperature around -11. West southwest wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 20 to 26 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 3 by 4am. West southwest wind between 10 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 29 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 27 to 33 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 10. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 24 and 29 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Thursday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 16 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible.

Thursday Night: Snow. Low around 16. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Friday: Snow. High near 16. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.

Friday Night: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a low around 0.

Saturday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 3.

Saturday Night: Snow. Cloudy, with a low around -2.

Sunday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 1.

Sunday Night: Snow. Cloudy, with a low around -2.

Monday: Snow. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 9.

Monday Night: Snow. Cloudy, with a low around 2.

Tuesday: Snow. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 9.

We never really warmed up here today, and the temp has fallen considerably in the past few hours. Currently 34.3° off a high of 43°. Meanwhile it's 54° in the Harrisburg area. One "benefit" of living further ENE up the Great Valley, I guess.

Yeah. Occasionally when we get these overrunning events and get a decent Easterly wind, the lower level cold dams up on the opposite side of the Apps.

Still would rather be on the other side though as its more beneficial for snows, where as we usually benefit icy mix wise.

We never really warmed up here today, and the temp has fallen considerably in the past few hours. Currently 34.3° off a high of 43°. Meanwhile it's 54° in the Harrisburg area. One "benefit" of living further ENE up the Great Valley, I guess.

We went from 34 to 48 in like 45 minutes. Crazy.

And looks like we might get severe thunderstorms, lol.

Pretty amazing temperatures outside considering this is the coldest week (give or take) of the year!

post-1406-0-67796500-1326847194.png

In other news, things are looking pretty good for a moderate wintry event for at least the northern half of the state. Snow to ZR to rain seems likely. Some places may approach warning criteria for ZR, so that will have to be watched.

lol what thunderstorm?? a little gusty, but nothing an average storm cant muster. No thunder, no lightning, blah.

Apparently you missed them:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARY

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

727 PM EST TUE JAN 17 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0620 PM TSTM WND DMG COLUMBUS 41.95N 79.58W

01/17/2012 WARREN PA 911 CALL CENTER

NUMEROUS TREES DOWN

0645 PM TSTM WND DMG NORTH WARREN 41.87N 79.15W

TREE DOWN

0645 PM TSTM WND DMG CHAPMAN STATE PARK 41.77N 79.18W

TREES DOWN

0700 PM TSTM WND DMG BRADFORD 41.96N 78.64W

01/17/2012 MCKEAN PA 911 CALL CENTER