Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thresholds for State College CWA are here. I'm not sure about that event... but it .1-.2" of ice definately meets the requirements for a FRA or a WWA if there are several precip types involved, especially in the south.

But precip is expanding nicely to our west (although bright banding is making it look more ominous than it really is). Looking at spc mesoanalysis, were probably still below freezing at most levels and could see a little accumulating snow/sleet at the start. Pavement temperature hovering around 31°F.

Cool. Yeah I'm sure the event I talked about would have had an advisory if it had been forecast properly. Precip moving in to our area right now per radar, some should evaporate but there is plenty to saturate the atmosphere.

If you do it won't last long haha, its over to the sleet/rain now. Did manage to get a light dusting. 3rd biggest synoptic event of the year..right behind Oct 29th with 4" and Dec 7 with a heavy dusting.

Rain/sleet here too. Hopefully we cool off just a bit to makes things more interesting.

We average more rain than they do. Seattle doesn't get that much rain relative to its reputation. Lots of cloudy days, but State College gets around the same.

Absolutely right - the summers can be beautiful up there. I was there years ago in August and the grass was turning brown from the lack of rain, which is pretty normal.

I can already confirm a trace of ice here as the trees and deck and untreated stuff are just starting to get ice building up on them. This area seems set for the several hour period of ZR that CTP had alluded to in their newer late afternoon update for the central and northern counties. Timings pretty ideal for this, as this event comes after dark. The recent cold spell additionally helps, as surfaces like the ground and etc are already cold and may keep building ice to some degree even when temps get up to like 33. Primary roads should still be fine if they're treated well, I'd watch back roads though.

I can already confirm a trace of ice here as the trees and deck and untreated stuff are just starting to get ice building up on them. This area seems set for the several hour period of ZR that CTP had alluded to in their newer late afternoon update for the central and northern counties. Timings pretty ideal for this, as this event comes after dark. The recent cold spell additionally helps, as surfaces like the ground and etc are already cold and may keep building ice to some degree even when temps get up to like 33. Primary roads should still be fine if they're treated well, I'd watch back roads though.

Buildling up ice here as well. Currently 31.1

Just ventured outside, there's a glaze on pretty much everything. Barely able to stand on our gravel driveway. Even the secondary road that goes past our house has a nasty glaze on it attm. I could do the whole running start and slide for a long distance on it. That second batch coming could make things messier before they get better.

Archived