Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea why CTP shows such bullish accum. numbers through Saturday. While a second cold front and weak vort will move through tomorrow afternoon, it does not appear the fetch is overly favorable. I could see some spotty 1-3in amounts in streamers for AOO, UNV, IPT but nothing widespread. Model guidance indicates generally low QPF focused mainly on the northwest plateau and the Laurel Highlands so even there additional accumulations should be less than 5in.

I just watched today's video discussion from Steven DiMartino at NYNJPAWeather.com and noticed he was referring to temperatures in the mid-to-upper 30s as "very cold". Uh... since when? lol. Has the lack of winter 2011-2012 jaded meteorologists to the level that they're thinking the averages are actually much colder than what it's supposed to be?

Check out this stationary band. I am under those yellow returns!

http://radar.weather...id=BUF&loop=yes

Here are a few webcams from the thruway:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/webcams/

Unreal. I went on a chase up that way back in 2009. Most crazy snow rates I ever seen. Was like 4" per hr. People acted like it was nothing. One person was like wait till you see 6" per hr. My jaw dropped.

Unreal. I went on a chase up that way back in 2009. Most crazy snow rates I ever seen. Was like 4" per hr. People acted like it was nothing. One person was like wait till you see 6" per hr. My jaw dropped.

Yeah in 2001 we had rates over 6 inches per hour with 83 inches of snow in 4 days. Most insane storm I have ever been in.

Check out this stationary band. I am under those yellow returns!

http://radar.weather...id=BUF&loop=yes

Here are a few webcams from the thruway:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/webcams/

Looks like some additional stuff off of Lake Huron starting to work into the north side of Buffalo. The snow is really pouring off the lakes in the wake of this system, seems like this outbreak's gonna do a good bit better than the last LES debacle.

I think we will see a resurgence of snowfall in the Laurels and central counties once the flow starts to turn more northwesterly. I'm not sure how well we're going to translate snow off the Laurels, probably not as well as that CTP snowmap has.

I'm saying all months are going to be ugly and painful, but March maybe the "best" out of the group lol, but that isn't saying much! Of course I want snow, just havin a laugh

At the expense of those who can count the flakes they've seen this season on one hand.... A-hole :-DYou should be happy for those 3.5 inches!Awaiting Michael scott's response... Door's wide open

Looks like some upgrades are coming to I80 soon even some new messages signs and new traffic cameras. They are really doing a great job of adding new cameras as someone posted yesterday they have added new cameras to state college. Anyhow these new cameras will help cut down on response times to accidents. Before they had them it would take longer to respond to accidents and in fact a lot of them would not be posted on the 511 network map. Now if only we could have some snow to see on the new cameras that are coming. another thing to point out penn dot is now adding a new system to the highways that lets you know road conditions during winter weather. For example if a road is snow covered it will let you know on the 511 map. Pretty cool if you asked me it was working great last night. Today they have added many more roads including I99 I80 and many more roads with more to come state wide.

For more information on all of the improvements coming to I80 click here. http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/districts/district3.nsf/b5620adbc4c66d298525692f0041a9b1/b666d9e7baf8e038852579840059b763?OpenDocument

LIght snow falling, 22. Feels like winter tonight.

Neighbor told me that they came back from Philipsburg after visiting with friends and the drive back was dicey at times due to drifting.

Did you guy see this? Any thoughts?:

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...

ARCTIC BOUNDARY WILL LIKELY SLIP SOUTH INTO CENTRAL PENN AND THE

SUSQ VALLEY SAT NIGHT AND SUNDAY. THIS FEATURE ALONG WITH DEEP

WNW TO NW FLOW ALOFT WILL MAINTAIN AT LEAST SCATTERED SNOW

SHOWERS ACROSS THE NW MTNS. A FEW NARROW...BUT RATHER LENGTHY

BANDS OF SNOW SHOWERS COULD EXTEND INTO THE CENTRAL MTNS AND EVEN

THE SUSQ VALLEY NEAR THIS BOUNDARY. CLOUD TOP TEMPS AROUND 5-6 KFT

AGL WILL BE QUITE COLD AND AT THE LOWER END OF THE THERMAL RIBBON

FOR DENDRITIC GROWTH...LEADING TO LOCALIZED ACCUMS OF A FLUFFY

INCH OR TWO.

LIght snow falling, 22. Feels like winter tonight.

Neighbor told me that they came back from Philipsburg after visiting with friends and the drive back was dicey at times due to drifting.

Did you guy see this? Any thoughts?:

Most models have been consistently hinting at one or two narrow, but long streams of decent snow across central/northern PA, dropping 0.1"-0.2" liquid equivalent. Couple that with the frigid temperatures aloft making way for higher than normal snow ratios, and a few lucky areas could pick up a couple inches of some dry, wind-swept snow.

I'm a little worried that the band will set up a hair too far to our north, but we shall see... it should be interesting to watch.

Archived