joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Kevin can pick up a quick inch of snow from that stuff...it should be snow there for at least the next hour or two...but hard to say without any obs from there.

I84 webcams Hartford to Tolland

http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=2354&Q=401220

other webcams from Manchester and Hartford all look wet with good visibility

I84 webcams Hartford to Tolland

http://www.ct.gov/do...a=2354&Q=401220

other webcams from Manchester and Hartford all look wet with good visibility

Exit 68 webcam looks like the vis might be reduced a bit...could be snowing there, but hard to tell on the grainy image...unfortunately, exit 68 is only about 500-550 feet elevation so it won't help us in figuring out anything above 600 or 700 feet...where I think its probably snowing.

Exit 68 webcam looks like the vis might be reduced a bit...could be snowing there, but hard to tell on the grainy image...unfortunately, exit 68 is only about 500-550 feet elevation so it won't help us in figuring out anything above 600 or 700 feet...where I think its probably snowing.

some other CT webcams (not many out there!)

- Simsbury CT:

http://www.instacam....id=SMSBR&size=L

- Goshen CT <---- flakes visible here

http://www.instacam....id=GOSHN&size=L

this is amusing, what an undeserving storm for so much attention...

It definitely has to be snowing at higher elevations in CT...I'm like about 50' and the rain coming down kind of looks like freshly melted snowfalkes..kind of big drops...hard to explain but I hate my 50' elevation.

You probably have "catpaws" as they are often referred to...rain drops with an ice nucleus that hasn't completely melted yet as it falls through the warmer lower few hundred feet of the atmosphere. Temps in in the hills to your northeast are in the 33-34F range with even probably near freezing in Union...so I'm sure its starting as snow there.

- Simsbury CT:

http://www.instacam....id=SMSBR&size=L

- Goshen CT <---- flakes visible here

http://www.instacam....id=GOSHN&size=L

this is amusing, what an undeserving storm for so much attention...

Well to be fair the weather has been so boring we haven't had this type of excitement in a while.

You probably have "catpaws" as they are often referred to...rain drops with an ice nucleus that hasn't completely melted yet as it falls through the warmer lower few hundred feet of the atmosphere. Temps in in the hills to your northeast are in the 33-34F range with even probably near freezing in Union...so I'm sure its starting as snow there.

Yup...that's what those are...just pisses me off.

I didn't realize it was actually that cold in the hills...so yeah they def must be snowing.

i'm hoping this POS winter can pull something outta its azz 2nite for someone ...anyone.

precip shield making steady progess NE now.

i would think N worcester sees flakes within 15 min.

looks like exit 68 in ct. is snowing to me but not clear yet.

Watching the precip try to advance in Windham County CT is like watching paint dry...I probably wont see snow for another 45 minutes at least. The good news is the RUC cooled off considerably on its 06z run and has an easy snow sounding at 09z which means we should probably be safe until 5am...hopefully its a bit later than that. But at the very least, I'd like to see if we can rip for 2-3 hours in this band coming up.

sometimes i use the composite radar to pick up on the leading edge of precip a bit better and it shows a solid wall moving into s. worcester (city) light stuff but either way that band finally looks like it's making progess (even on base ) and better it shouldn't take that long to get the heavy stuff over you.

sometimes i use the composite radar to pick up on the leading edge of precip a bit better and it shows a solid wall moving into s. worcester (city) light stuff but either way that band finally looks like it's making progess (even on base ) and better it shouldn't take that long to get the heavy stuff over you.

Its virga I'm pretty sure...if you zoon into BOX local radar you can see where its reaching...its possible I see some weenie flakes if the leading edge of virga starts to intensify a bit, but its probably going to be until at least 2:45-3am until the good stuff gets over here...but I'll gladly take sooner.

WTF is up with your font? Leprechaun

Its virga I'm pretty sure...if you zoon into BOX local radar you can see where its reaching...its possible I see some weenie flakes if the leading edge of virga starts to intensify a bit, but its probably going to be until at least 2:45-3am until the good stuff gets over here...but I'll gladly take sooner.

How much of the leading edge do you think is virga? When I looked at the radar then looked outside I was actually quite shocked to already see the ground fairly wet (it had to be precipitating out for at least a few minutes) and there was a mix of rain/flakes/a few sleet pings.

Archived