Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan. 2 - 4 Disco/Obs

NavarreDon

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to figure out NWS RAH at times... as this line of showers approaches, the updated 20% slight chance of sprinkles, to 30% chance of showers to "60% showers likely" now has become "Mostly clear, with a low around 36". Meanwhile, we've got a decent light rain falling.

And someone punched the keyboard ... now it's reflecting real time again "Showers likely before midnight. Mostly clear, with a low around 35. West wind between 11 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible."

NAM is a little colder at 850. The new run has -14 nearly to SC coast. Takes -15 almost to CAE and upper SC and western third of NC is -16.. The 510 thickness line engulfs most of NC now, back to eastern TN...rarely do we get those thickness this far south, only a few times per decade. It's surface freezing line for 18z Tuesday is even further south and east, going from near Raleigh, Rock Hill Athens and Atlanta.

post-38-0-62423500-1325474022.gif

post-38-0-50614000-1325474201.gif

NAM is a little colder at 850. The new run has -14 nearly to SC coast. Takes -15 almost to CAE and upper SC and western third of NC is -16.. The 510 thickness line engulfs most of NC now, back to eastern TN...rarely do we get those thickness this far south, only a few times per decade. It's surface freezing line for 18z Tuesday is even further south and east, going from near Raleigh, Rock Hill Athens and Atlanta.

Our local mets are showing around 35-38 for high tuesday? What you think?

It's heading pretty far south, but for Knoxville we've been colder than this a few times in the last few years. The coldest high I can remember in the last 3 was about 19F sometime in 2008-2009. In fact, last winter we had a stretch of 10 days all below 32F. I think this one might 'seem' colder because it's been after a decent 'warm' spell. I wonder if we'll get flurries in the valley - but I'm sure whatever falls won't accumulate down here.

The latest highs above 6000' have been in the mid teens with lows around 0. I'm so glad I'm not hiking up there Monday or Tuesday - but if I can find anyone who is or find photos I'll try to post them.

Our local mets are showing around 35-38 for high tuesday? What you think?

For Winston? thats really hard to see happening, but I guess never say never. Looked like upper 20s to near 30 to me.

It's heading pretty far south, but for Knoxville we've been colder than this a few times in the last few years. The coldest high I can remember in the last 3 was about 19F sometime in 2008-2009. In fact, last winter we had a stretch of 10 days all below 32F. I think this one might 'seem' colder because it's been after a decent 'warm' spell. I wonder if we'll get flurries in the valley - but I'm sure whatever falls won't accumulate down here.

The latest highs above 6000' have been in the mid teens with lows around 0. I'm so glad I'm not hiking up there Monday or Tuesday - but if I can find anyone who is or find photos I'll try to post them.

yeah, i was really focusing on the intensity of the cold here in western piedmont of NC, upper SC and now the midlands of SC and ne GA...because for this area this setup is a little colder for us than those 2 years you mentioned. I know eastern TN can get into the -16 or -15 but usually that doesn't translate over to this side as far.

Wow! I didn't expect this, a pretty decent snow shower coming through!

You can really tell a drastic change is happening. You can feel it. I swear, you can actually "smell" artic air. It's different, period. I just took a 15 minute walk and it was amazing. The air was literally intoxicating!!!

Shut up, Emerson.

Joe i have to agree. Living up at about 3500 to 3600 feet and especially as high as you are just something exciting is going to happen. Just going out and hearing the wind rolling down the mountain and into the hollar. Clouds are starting to move in and the air is as crisp and if it were 0 degrees outside. I think the snow comes in earlier and i think we will get more that they think. Just noticed they know have highs for use in the 20s today and tomorrow. Nothing like living in the mountains.

Archived