SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

46.5 was down in MHT earlier and car thermometer read 49. Didn't even need to warm the car up this morning thanks to the sun warming up the inside for a couple hours.

I have to say I can't remember a snowpack that's peak was 4.5-5 inches hanging on for so long though. Almost wishing my garden area would melt off maybe all these clear days with lots of sunshine can heat the soil up quicker than the past spring. Last year it seemed to take forever for the garden to respond to warming soil temps.

06z gfs still has that storm out at day 10; somehow the timing retreats about 6 hr for each successive run. :(

Replying to my own post, to admit that the above didn't quite continue; 12z gfs backed off the storm not by 6 hr but about 48, and changed it to a torch-deluge. In fact, days 10-16 would have temps near the norms for early April if that were to verify.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse...

impressive torch in the north country today

Yep, feels pretty good though.

46F at the air field BTV with 27F a full 4,000ft higher on Mansfield.

Stunning day though. Feels like spring and incredibly bright here in Stowe village with the sun and snowpack.

Here's the Ten Acres Lodge cam less than a half mile from my place... great day for Cross country skiing, downhill skiing, snow shoeing, even saw the snowmobiles ripping across the fields. Ahh the north country at its best. BTW, I have 41F here, as it is not 48F degrees outside as this web cam thinks it is.

Yep, feels pretty good though.

46F at the air field BTV with 27F a full 4,000ft higher on Mansfield.

Stunning day though. Feels like spring and incredibly bright here in Stowe village with the sun and snowpack.

Here's the Ten Acres Lodge cam less than a half mile from my place... great day for Cross country skiing, downhill skiing, snow shoeing, even saw the snowmobiles ripping across the fields. Ahh the north country at its best. BTW, I have 41F here, as it is not 48F degrees outside as this web cam thinks it is.

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/noreaster27/

Hit 52 in the "low lands" of the lake george area.

Maybe we'll see some cool undercast tomorrow? Those are my favorite days... the views are just spectacular from the mountain.

A SUBSIDENCE INVERSION BELOW PEAK LEVEL WILL TRAP LOW LEVEL

MOISTURE IN VALLEYS...RESULTING IN OVERCAST SKIES 3-5KFT

PERSISTING INTO THE AFTERNOON HOURS ON TUESDAY. AS THE RIDGE AXIS

MOVES OVER THE REGION DRY AIR AND SUBSIDENCE WILL ERODE CLOUD

COVER BY TUESDAY EVENING.

42F in Portland. It may feel nice, but it makes me sad. Sledding with my kids will probably be a nogo this weekend. We had fun yesterday.

Hit 42F here yesterday. Felt like spring.

I have to say though, the sledding here is epic right now. Went a couple times in the big field next to the house which has two large hills, this past weekend. Protective head-gear suggested.

Otherwise, all's pretty quiet now other than a few flurries this morning here in Sleepy Hollow.

Flurries but nothing measureable... not even close to it. There were like 7 graupel balls on my car this morning.

Up here at the mountain the road is *barely* dusted white so you see tire tracks but even calling this a dusting would be quite liberal. I didn't mention any snowfall of any kind (trace, dusting, etc) on the report this morning. You can't win them all... we had made out well with these FROPAs over the past two weeks but this was a bit of a dud.

My buddy in grooming said he could count the number of flakes that hit the ground on two hands.

Flurries were falling this morning with just a trace of accumulation on the snowboard, but there’s nothing other than that to pass along from the house at this point. There is certainly some visible precipitation building in from the northwest on the radar though:

07FEB12A.gif

After this event it sounds like the middle of the week will be pretty dry, before more chances for snow move in around the weekend. Roger Hill highlighted the next potential snowfall period as Friday/Saturday with the passage of that arctic front, and said that we’ll have to watch for Sunday/Monday if that upper level low settles over Quebec.

On a seasonal note, daylight is definitely moving along now. It was a pleasant surprise to be able get all the way home on the Montpelier LINK and still have light in the sky; other folks commented on it as well, so there must have been a good jump in sunset time over the past several days. With the daylight I was able to notice the dramatic change in snowpack as one heads east from the Burlington area into the Green Mountains. Although quite low by typical February standards, the snowpack at the house has been fluctuating up and down a bit below a foot, but snow on the ground drops to zero pretty quickly west of the mountains. At valley level, there’s nothing notable on the ground in Burlington, South Burlington, Williston, Richmond… and even Jonesville and Bolton. It’s not until one hits Bolton Flats that there appears to be any sort of white on the ground, and in the span of a few miles it jumps up to the 6 to 12-inch range in Waterbury. Seeing the snowpack gradient heading into the mountains isn’t all that atypical, but having nothing on the ground in Bolton is a sharper line than usual – yesterday’s Colorado-style winter weather may have burned off some of the thinner areas to make the snow line a bit more dramatic.

Never got under 30 last night, and was 35 at 7 AM, about 30F below my avg minimum for a week into Feb. Saw a couple flakes in AUG last hr, but clouds are breaking, which means the colder air should be moving in. Looks like the "no wx" period will reach close to two weeks, given all the nothingness out to day 9.

How do the Euro temps look for the northern 'dacks this weekend (fri-sun)? I know the euro drops the pv right into NY on Monday, but before that, are the temps similar to what the gfs is showing?

Did not really look at the GFS for temps but you have the 522-528 thickness over that area sat into sunday on the euro with it trending sharply colder with the fropa sunday

Looking forward to a nice mid winters night up in the Lakes Region this weekend.

Happy to have you up here! Still solid snowcover in the NW part of the Lakes Region but loosing it on south facing areas further SE. First bare spots appearing on my south facing fields today. Excellant ice on the lakes without the snow cover. This weekends cold should really thicken it up but its quite safe on most of the lakes.

Gene

PS I don't understand why people on the boards just don't use their real names. Why not? Maybe first name and initial of last name so people don't confuse each other.

post-268-0-67703100-1328657254.jpg

Happy to have you up here! Still solid snowcover in the NW part of the Lakes Region but loosing it on south facing areas further SE. First bare spots appearing on my south facing fields today. Excellant ice on the lakes without the snow cover. This weekends cold should really thicken it up but its quite safe on most of the lakes.

Gene

PS I don't understand why people on the boards just don't use their real names. Why not? Maybe first name and initial of last name so people don't confuse each other.

I heard they only had like 3-4" last weekend, so I hope it didn't melt. You are higher up as well.

My name is Scott BTW.

Archived