Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was younger(sigh).. used to ride a lot at night. Thats when we went really fast thinking that we would see the on coming headlights that you cant see during daylight. Of course we never considered the broken down sleds, groomers, that might be around the next corner. Im slower and older now, and I consider it a failure if Im not at my destination in daylight. Still love it though :sled: Also, back in the old days we would ride fast for 25 miles, then get off and brag about it. Now we go steady and ride far more miles per day.

Yeah, Thats the way to go, I am not so much worried about myself, It the other guy thats been drinking is on the wrong side of the trail, Groomers being out and broken down sleds on the dide of the trail like you said that can become the problems, I like to ride fast, But also am sensible to do that in areas that support the speed which tthere are numerouse up here in maine.

congrats on the refreshers boys. Went for a walk in the woods this morn and I have to say i was impressed that there is a good 6 inches on the ground and it is compressed and hard as a rock. It is not going anywhere anytime soon. Now we just need to get some on top of it. I'd like to be able to snowshoe this winter and I know some of ya'll wanna do some riding.

congrats on the refreshers boys. Went for a walk in the woods this morn and I have to say i was impressed that there is a good 6 inches on the ground and it is compressed and hard as a rock. It is not going anywhere anytime soon. Now we just need to get some on top of it. I'd like to be able to snowshoe this winter and I know some of ya'll wanna do some riding.

Thanks mark, We have the same here, 6" of cement..

Man the skiing is great, the sun is out now... brochure day at Stowe.

Here's our last 10 days worth of snowfall data... this has been a solid stretch.

Date...1,500ft snowfall, 3,000ft snowfall (rounded to nearest inch)

27...3, 4

28...2, 3

29...1, 2

30...6, 9

31...1, 1

1...2, 3

2...1, 2

3...T, 1

4...3, 4

The 9 day stretch has seen 19" at 1,549ft...and 29" at 3,014ft. Acceptable.

Powder day photos in the Ski Thread... man we have been getting killed (in a good way) by this very minor systems where the GFS or NAM print out barely a trace of precipitation. Looking at the models, if you see H85 temps of -10C or so, and the lightest shade of green for 0.01" of QPF, next thing you know the northern Greens get a half a foot.

Event totals: 3.4” Snow/0.10” L.E.

We picked up a final couple of tenths of an inch of snow this morning, as the weather moved into sunshower mode.

Man the skiing is great, the sun is out now... brochure day at Stowe.

The 9 day stretch has seen 19" at 1,549ft...and 29" at 3,014ft. Acceptable.

Acceptable indeed; we headed up to Bolton in the afternoon, and the Northern Greens have done it again. Upper 20s F with powder and sun this afternoon:

04FEB12A.jpg

Some details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

I still can't figure out how the Mansfield co-op snowfall comes in so low but their QPF always seems to match up with what I think it should be based on my 3,000ft snow board. Ratios yesterday were likely a solid 20:1 (which seems to be what the other two co-ops that report in the evening saw) and J.Spin's analysis also shows this. Anyone skiing through the powder yesterday could tell you it was very fluffy stuff.

So if we assume 20:1, that would match with the 4-5" that fell up there given around 1/4" of liquid. In the past 72 hours, the stake's snow depth has increased 6" while only recording 4.5" of snow. During that same time, I've seen 7" fall on a snow board.

I'm wondering if these fluffy dendrites we get for upslope end up shattering on their way into the 8-inch rain gauge and thus they lose their loft or something. Maybe the collision with the side of the gauge causes these things to just break apart and that's why we never really see much higher than 10-12:1 ratios from the Co-Op.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
521 PM EST SAT FEB 4 2012

STATION		    PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT		 SNOW
			   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER	 NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD	 0.21    17   4  13			    2.5  46
ST JOHNSBURY	    0.03    29  21  25   CLEAR	    0.9   5
SALISBURY		   0.05    32  20  28   CLEAR	    1.2   1

Burke yesterday was fantastic. Had about 4" fresh champagne powder, which by the time i got there (11:30AM) was wiped away on the popularly skiied trails. There were a few spots still nice and fresh though :) Not too windy, and temps were 25-26F at the bottom, and 24F at the top. Picture perfect. Depths up top were nearing 24" and even the base (1,267ft) had about 8" natural. Good day overall.

Seeing some light flurries here this morning... very mild with 29F in the village and 27F up here at the base of the ski resort. Summit is sitting at a balmy 17F with strong southerly winds over 40mph.

Wind is intermittent down here in the base area, but when it blows it roars. Highest gust at 1,600ft since midnight is 41mph.

Looks like tonight will be our next shot of some light snow with up to 2" possible...

THIS

FRONT WILL BRING INCREASING CLOUDS OVERNIGHT...AND LIKELY POPS FOR

SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY ESPECIALLY AFTER MIDNIGHT AND INTO THE EARLY

MORNING HRS WEDNESDAY. EXPECT A DUSTING TO 2" OF SNOWFALL ACROSS

NORTHERN SECTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA...WITH HIGHEST TOTALS

LIKELY ACROSS THE NRN GREENS INTO THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM OF

VERMONT.

WRF really lights up the Jay Peak area prior to 6z tonight, then as the front sags south the rest of the Greens get in on some snowfall.

Seeing 0.1-0.25" with localized greater than 0.25" QPF, could be another nice refresher from after midnight tonight through around midday tomorrow. It looks like here in WSW Lamoille County down through J.Spin we are in the 0.1-0.25" range with 0.25-0.5" over Mansfield proper.

This has been the nickel and dime winter, lol.

I just finished listening to the morning weather broadcasts, and it looks like a fairly quite week for Northern Vermont with just a couple of minor snow events. There’s one round of snow coming through tonight into tomorrow, and then another one expected for Friday. If these storms do their usual thing with the mountains, that would be great, since Roger Hill said that he doesn’t see any major warm air intrusions on the horizon. It would be nice to have the new snow go right into enhancement instead of recovery from firm conditions. The off piste and backcountry are already offering up excellent powder turns, so any additional rounds of snow will only enhance that. Roger also said that we have definitely undergone a pattern change (I guess the lack of an anticipated mixed system or two this week is a testament to that), which will only have minor events for now, but does hold the potential for some bigger systems down the road. The base (both snow and skier) is definitely ready for some bigger dumps, and it would be nice to build for spring. I haven’t finished processing all my images from the weekend yet, but I added another shot from Saturday below – conditions on natural snow terrain are excellent all the way down to that 1,500’-2,000’ elevation range, even if some tall grass is still poking through in spots:

04FEB12B.jpg

WRF really lights up the Jay Peak area prior to 6z tonight, then as the front sags south the rest of the Greens get in on some snowfall.

Seeing 0.1-0.25" with localized greater than 0.25" QPF, could be another nice refresher from after midnight tonight through around midday tomorrow. It looks like here in WSW Lamoille County down through J.Spin we are in the 0.1-0.25" range with 0.25-0.5" over Mansfield proper.

Thanks for the update PF; it's going to be really nice seeing this put down on top of the current fluff instead of having to mend some sort of “crustification” layer. Hopefully the Greens will do their usual best to wring out whatever is available.

We really can't complain this winter, lol.

Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows in Lake Tahoe have had 3-4 feet less than the summits of the northern Greens so far this winter (so far: 124" Stowe, 134" Smuggs, 145" Jay Peak). That's gotta be brutal for places that average 450+ inches a year.

Only a trace to 2" fell in two months from Nov 20 - Jan 20... wow!

The no-wx period continues for this side of NNE. Today will break my streak of temp sameness, though in the wrong direction - highs for Feb 1-5 are 27/28/28/27/27. (Lows ranged from 16 to yesterday's -14, however.) 06z gfs still has that storm out at day 10; somehow the timing retreats about 6 hr for each successive run. :(

Spring is approaching; yesterday I heard a chickadee calling "phee-bee" instead of the midwinter "chick-a-dee-dee".

Looking forward to getting above freezing to melt the ice that is everywhere. This snow is so durable that its going to take many days like this to melt it. One exception is south facing slopes. Feb sun really starting to do this work. What a boring winter! Don't even bother looking at the boards, nothing even in the long range.

Archived