• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

Radiated real well last night before the clouds rolled in. Got all the way down to 5F--I was quite surprised at how we sunk last evening.

Then the snow came in. Had a fresh 1/2" as of 7am. Light snow still falling.

We were right on the nose for 3 inches of pure fluff this morning. Unfortunately fluff on ice is slippery and I went feet over head while making my way to my car. I'll be sore tomorrow morning.

Good for the snow, bad on the fall. I've done the same thing and can certainly relate..and I have the same thing going on at home right now--fluff on ice.

A couple years ago I went ass over tea-kettle in the driveway and landed square on my head. One of the few times I've literally seen stars. :axe:

tumblr_kyu27fwUxz1qaooyao1_400.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bolton had about 1.5 inches of new snow in the lot this am. Skied very very nicely around timberline. Something like 5-6 inches of fluff on top of an edgable crusty layer.

Thinking 1-3 is about right today.

PF your comment on elevation dependence but not temperature is interesting. I was watching the event unfold from up high and I notied that the downsloping of the winds as you went down the mountains seemed to dry out the air and thus lower the RH. Snow was evaporating in this environment. So while at the ridgeline it was collecting heavy snow a few thousand feet down it was way less due to evaporation

Bolton had about 1.5 inches of new snow in the lot this am. Skied very very nicely around timberline. Something like 5-6 inches of fluff on top of an edgable crusty layer.

Thinking 1-3 is about right today.

PF your comment on elevation dependence but not temperature is interesting. I was watching the event unfold from up high and I notied that the downsloping of the winds as you went down the mountains seemed to dry out the air and thus lower the RH. Snow was evaporating in this environment. So while at the ridgeline it was collecting heavy snow a few thousand feet down it was way less due to evaporation

Well, half inch to an inch at the base but when I went to the 3,000ft snow board there was 1.5" on it from last night, so sounds very similar to what you saw in the bolton parking lot.

And yeah I was thinking about downsloping, but yet similar elevations on the west side of Mansfield had the same numbers as around 1,000ft on the east side... ie 3" at Jeffersonville, 2.5" Underhill, etc. They wouldn't have been getting downsloped per se... but that reasoning would hold weight here on the east.

My only thing is when we do "downslope" on the east or get blocked by a ridgetop inversion, we get the sunny skies to develop like a mile out from the ridgeline with the "wave" shaped cloud. That also usually focuses the heavy snow on the west side and that didn't necessarily happen yesterday.

My guess would be similar to yours but that it was mostly just low RH in the boundary layer. That's why all the main progs were showing ridiculous squall parameters but yet weren't spitting out much QPF, with the exception of the BTV WRF which was wayyy over done because it took those squall parameters and turned them into summertime thunderstorms, dropping .5-1" of liquid in like a 3 hour period. Had there been moist llvl RH, I bet most of the inhabited areas would've picked up 6" or so, too.

Good ponts PF.

On other news it's looking like in/around burlington right now. Steady light snow falling thru am. Prob. 1-2 inches accumulated along the grassy surfaces.

I just left the hill... 1-2" from this little WAA event so far. Snowing steadily but lightly.

Down in town maybe an inch and roads are snow covered. Looks like winter and I feel like its been snowing for 4-5 days straight now, lol.

We were right on the nose for 3 inches of pure fluff this morning. Unfortunately fluff on ice is slippery and I went feet over head while making my way to my car. I'll be sore tomorrow morning.

Cold powder atop glare ice is probably the nearest thing to a frictionless surface we'll encounter outside of physics lab. It's a rare winter when I avoid at least one sudden descent to horizontal in those conditions.

Still -SN in AUG, but eentsy flakes instead of the feathers we saw mid-morning. Temp in low 20s but the stuff is partially melting on windshields in the p.lot - pretty sad when the snowfall is so light that late Jan sun angle melts it even at 10F under the freezing point. After 7 hr of near-constant snow, I think we're still working on the first 1/4".

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Today’s snowfall produced another 0.6” of snow at the house. Burlington picked up something similar and the ground has a good covering of white now.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.4 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

Had 1.8" of 15:1 snow, which took about 18 hr to come down. Patches of zr on my commute this morning, first one before the pickup was warmed so I had to pull over until the windshield cleared enough to see. Pretty rime ice on the twigs, those which were visible in the fog.

Jan totals for MBY:

High: 27.42

Low: 8.48

Mean: 17.45

That's +3.26 and 4th highest of 14, topped by 02, 06, 10. (Watch out for 2014.)

High: 41, 1st and 24th.

High min: 29, 24th

High mean: 35, 2nd and 24th

Low: -24, 22nd

Low max: 7, 15th

Low mean: -5, 15th

Precip: 3.24", +0.35"

Snow: 23.4"

That's +2.8" from avg but only +0.6" from median. 9 of 14 Januarys have had from 22.6" to 27.5".

Last 5 Jan:

27.5"

26.5"

24.8"

24.6"

23.4"

Don't like the direction it's going, but that's amazingly consistent for something as stochastic as snowfall.

GYX hoisted a WWA for here, For SN/IP/ZR..

Mostly the ZR.

The occlusion sweeping through will actually help us warm up today. At the very least should start the downsloping to dry out east of the mountains. It's 50 at KPVD, 40 at KBOS and 30 at KPSM...at one point it was 52 at KRUT and in the lower 20s in NH.

Mostly the ZR.

The occlusion sweeping through will actually help us warm up today. At the very least should start the downsloping to dry out east of the mountains. It's 50 at KPVD, 40 at KBOS and 30 at KPSM...at one point it was 52 at KRUT and in the lower 20s in NH.

Holding on for dear life. Portland has crept up to 29 according to the infallible Time & Temp Building display. How warm do you think PWM gets today?

Archived