joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn this is a confusing little storm. I've got 33 in BTV with rain falling on top of an icy 1.5 inches of snow that fell overnight. Mansfield nose is reading a lovely 22-23 F holding steady over the last few hours. steady freezing rain is being reported in the ADK and the SPC meso analysis shows shows 850s below freezing up to about MRG/Bush.

Add that to the absolute water totals modeled for the 12 hours from 12z today to 0z saturday and it's like what is going on...this is either going to be a total melt out or dumpage...I have no clue at this point.

Stowe Mountain Resort

East Side of Mount Mansfield

Current ambient temperatures from our snowmaking sensors:

3,600ft...22F

2,500ft...25F

1,500ft...29F

Time of Measurement: 5:00am

Barnes Camp Snow Plot

ID: BRNV1

Elevation: 1,549ft

LAT: N44*32.021

LON: W072*47.208

24 Hour Snow: 2.9"

Snow Depth: 14"

Weather Summary: Moderate to heavy sleet mixed with snow grains or an almost snow dust that's likely being formed in the low level cold air. No sign of freezing rain at this elevation so far. Groomers are reporting a solid 4" at the summit but won't have official snow board data till I can get up the lift. But 4" sounds right given our usual variation of 1-2" from base to summit. Will call it 3-4" this morning; yes, rounding 2.9" up to 3" here at the base... damn marketing at ski areas :)

Event totals: 3.1” Snow/0.61” L.E.

Snow began yesterday at our location around 6:15 P.M., it was fairly light for a while, and then it ramped up in intensity around 8:30 P.M. From that point I recorded a few hourly observations:

Time | Snow on board

9 PM | 1.3”

10 PM | 1.8”

11 PM | 2.1”

12 AM | 2.2”

The snow that had fallen through that point had been a mixture of some large (up to 1 ½”) and small flakes, and the settled accumulation at midnight came in at a fairly synoptic-like 8.2% H2O.

This morning at the 6:00 A.M. observations I found 0.9” of dense accumulation on the snowboard, with plenty of sleet in there, and probably some rain. The precipitation was light sleet at the time, with what appeared to be a little rain mixed in. The driving was actually quite fun heading into Waterbury this morning – during his broadcast, Roger Hill was talking about how the road crews purposefully leave the slush on the roads at these times to absorb the incoming liquid, making a far superior surface to what can happen if they strip off the snow and let it glaze with ice. Anyway, the few inches of snow/slush did its job and you could really feel the security and control it provided. I only traveled a few miles, but the empty roads with an AWD Subaru were definitely a lot of fun.

Some details from the 12:00 A.M. and 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

12:00 A.M.

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.18 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.2

Snow Density: 8.2% H2O

Temperature: 30.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

6:00 A.M.

New Snow: 0.9 inches (some sleet)

New Liquid: 0.43 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.1

Snow Density: 47.8% H2O

Temperature: 33.3 F

Sky: Light Sleet

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

from gyz. you guys up there incl jeff stay frozen

LATEST SURFACE ANALYSIS CONTINUES TO SHOW THE BEST PRESSURE FALLS

ALONG THE MASSACHUSETTS COASTLINE WHILE LOW PRESSURE LINGERS BACK

IN WRN PA. WINDS HAVE BACKED OVER THE LAST HOUR ALONG THE COAST.

THIS TREND WILL BE MONITORED VERY CLOSELY IN THE EVENT THE

SECONDARY LOW DEVELOPS FURTHER SOUTH NEAR MASSACHUSETTS...INSTEAD

OF THE MAINE COASTLINE. THIS WOULD HAVE RAMIFICATIONS TO THE LOW

LEVEL THERMAL PROFILE AND PTYPES FOR TODAY...BRINGING A SLIGHTLY COLDER

SOLUTION TO THIS EVENT OVER CENTRAL AND NORTHERN AREAS.

from gyz. you guys up there incl jeff stay frozen

LATEST SURFACE ANALYSIS CONTINUES TO SHOW THE BEST PRESSURE FALLS

ALONG THE MASSACHUSETTS COASTLINE WHILE LOW PRESSURE LINGERS BACK

IN WRN PA. WINDS HAVE BACKED OVER THE LAST HOUR ALONG THE COAST.

THIS TREND WILL BE MONITORED VERY CLOSELY IN THE EVENT THE

SECONDARY LOW DEVELOPS FURTHER SOUTH NEAR MASSACHUSETTS...INSTEAD

OF THE MAINE COASTLINE. THIS WOULD HAVE RAMIFICATIONS TO THE LOW

LEVEL THERMAL PROFILE AND PTYPES FOR TODAY...BRINGING A SLIGHTLY COLDER

SOLUTION TO THIS EVENT OVER CENTRAL AND NORTHERN AREAS.

We are trying mark........ :weight_lift:

Wow, hadn't looked at the Maine map yet. That's pretty ridiculous.

This is probably the record you are thinking of. http://www.erh.noaa....-10_item001.htm

I was being deliberately obscure/snarky in referencing that record, as I'm familiar with where it was set. 31 yr ago yesterday, I was passenger in a pickup that fought with a loaded log truck (and lost, obviously - insurance agent totaled the 3-yr-old pickup from just the photo) about one mile south of that Big Black obs location.

Snow started about 11 PM IMBY, and I measured 4.0" of 9.5-to-1 fluff at 6:30. Modest ratio was due to small dendrites, as the mid-20s temps kept it broom-able. This event will push my Jan total into the 20"+ range (max 27.5"), for the 9th yr in 14 here, by far my most consistent snow month, though Feb avg is 1.3" higher due to yrs when it had 30"+ and 46.5" in 2/2008.

Driving was slow but not terrible on snowcovered roads, once I got out of my driveway - some snowscoop work needed and 1/3 of a 5-gal bucket of ashes. I started to hear things hitting the windshield a mile south of Belgrade Village, and the flakes got increasingly rimed as I continued into AUG. About 3" at my worksite, elev. 80' and perhaps 500' from the Kennebec. Currently light frozen somethings in the air here.

Sunday River 6 new thats at base low too, probably more up MT, nice

Nice. That looks like 5.7" to me ;)

I had 4.6" at the 3,000ft snow board. I'm still calling it 3-4", though maybe I should just call it 5"... :devilsmiley:

Nahh I like having a reputation of under-reporting or being conservative.

Currently atmospheric diarrhea falling from the sky.

Well I started hearing sleet sometime around 12:45 last night. Woke up to freezing rain and 31 f. The cars had a 1.5 inch layer of snow and crust. Ice was starting to build up on everything by the time I left the house a bit before 8. We had some water in the corner of the barn on the floor but the basement of the house was dry. The roads were slushy with the occasional huge puddle where drains were clogged. One of those days when it seems just like a matter of time before the power goes out.

We are up to 33F at 1,500ft but still 28F at 3,600ft and 30F at 2,500ft.

Freezing mist up high but nothing happening at the base.

Now this is extremely rare for a major resort to shut down for the day... but Killington did not open today:

Friday, January 27, 2012

Due to icing from freezing rain, intermittent power outages and lightning, Killington Resort will not operate today, Friday, January 27. Rest assured, our dedicated Mountain Ops team will be working around the clock to get the trails in good shape for Saturday, as we expect to open at 8:00 a.m.

Thank you for your understanding.

I didn’t have a chance to look into it before, but here’s the north to south list of snow totals for the Vermont ski areas that I could glean from their websites and Ski Vermont for the front end of this storm. It looks like the Mansfield area had the highest totals, which were in the 4-5” range, and lesser amounts were found down in the southern part of the state:

Jay Peak: 3”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 4”

Middlebury: 4”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 2”

Magic Mountain: 2”

Stratton: 2”

Mount Snow: 2”

It looks like there will be some additional snow to add to the totals on the back side of the event; looking at the radar, it shouldn’t be too long before the mountains are back into the snow.

Pretty good ice storm today. Couple of inches of snow and sleet last night and a good freezing rain event today. Lost power and phone but just got it back. High was 32.5F and now down to 32.0F Trees just hanging on. Any more QPF and we would have had major problems.

A few pictures.

Gene

post-268-0-04430600-1327700717.jpg

post-268-0-40665400-1327700719.jpg

post-268-0-33034600-1327700721.jpg

Pretty good ice storm today.  Couple of inches of snow and sleet last night and a good freezing rain event today.  Lost power and phone but just got it back.  High was 32.5F and now down to 32.0F   Trees just hanging on.  Any more QPF and we would have had major problems.

A few pictures.

Gene

Nice pics Gene, winds could be an issue tonight

Archived