joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing is, consensus seems to be that we blew the forecast. Apparently the day shift has gotten quite a few complaints.

I mean this was our forecast...

That's nuts, I think your office did a good job on a general forecast for snow showers, It was very localized and was pretty much a nowcast, I know the HRRR showed the possibility but had those showers further SW of here

Actually saw considerable melting today around here in the sun, despite getting to 16F for the high. March sun doing its work.

Don't feel bad. Most of the 6-10" of snow that fell in VA today has already melted. No joke. A couple inches left at most in higher elevations.

Funny thing is, consensus seems to be that we blew the forecast. Apparently the day shift has gotten quite a few complaints.

I mean this was our forecast...

There must've been a significant increase in snowfall coverage as part of the afternoon forecast. I hadn't looked at anything after 7:30 AM, and my recollection - not all that reliable - was that the morning forecast had S.Franklin (MBY) with 30% chance of snowshowers, and no accumulations mentioned. Had I bothered to look at the afternoon AFD, I'd not have been surprised.

But it was a nice surprise. :)

Nice shot, Borderwx... going to be a cold night tonight in the North Country.

Was amazing how it really didn't feel that bad once the sun came out around noon...even with a breeze and temps hovering near 10F at 1,500ft.

I am sure you saw that upslope signal for your weekend.

Honestly I haven't really looked... taking a breather from the weather models but sometimes I enjoy that cause you get caught off-guard. Just going to enjoy the warmth the next couple of days and spring skiing and then try to get back into it looking for snow.

What I can't believe is how at 5am when I'm driving up to the mountain that the horizon is already getting light. No more pitch dark blackness... until next weekend and we change the clocks. I really do enjoy this time of year at the mountain though; its like coming out of a hole. Spring parties in the parking lot, endless sunshine, deep snowpack, goggle tans, etc. Makes you feel good to be alive and outside enjoying the mountains.

Anyway... nice inversion this morning:

730ft Morrisville-Stowe Airport down in the valley is -6F

1,550ft ski area base is 10F

I saw that when I ran through the ECMWF this morning; snow was in the midday Friday through midday Saturday range. Not too much mention of it in the BTV NWS discussion at this point as expected, but we’ll see how it looks going forward. The other potential period for snow that I heard about was from the Eye on the Sky forecast this morning, they mentioned tomorrow with the warm front.

Not sure if it reached -10 IMBY, but if not it was close - quite chilly for an even-year March. Just a facet of sample size, but each even-year March has its minimum less cold than the odd-years on either side. Since a modest -7 in 1999, my first March here, odd years have had minima ranging -17 to -25, while evens run from -8 (not including today) to a very anomalous 11 in 2010, my only March not to reach below zero. The evens' minima average -1, the odds -19 (-21 without 1999.)

Archived