• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Longest you have ever been without power?

Sn0waddict

The weather is boring as hell, so we might as well think back to good storms that left us paralyzed for days/weeks, right?

To be honest, I live in an area where if I lose power, it is usually restored within hours or a day max (fairfield). But at my house I'm living in for my senior year of college(in cheshire) I lost power for 6 days after Irene. Man it sucked, not so much because of the lack of tv/internet, but mostly because of the simply commodities I couldn't get anymore. Showering, using a toilet, a refrigerator etc. As great as some of these storms are, sometimes it almost doesn't seem worth it after the impact they have. Fortunately for me, I never lost power after the Oct snowstorm despite living in an area surrounded by trees.

As somebody who has lived on a populated southern NE coast, I'm sure I haven't had it as bad as some people here. Anybody here lose power for more than a week? If I recall, a good amount of you endured a long time without power due to the 2008 Ice Storm.

Irene 8 days it was brutal.

Yep, I actually ended up sleeping/showering at a friends house most nights. Honestly sleeping in the middle of the woods with no power just wasn't my thing. Initially I thought it was fun to live like it would have been in the 16th century, but that got rather old fast.

12 days from the December '08 ice storm. We have a generator which powers some of the house and it was a major pain. We couldn't use some appliances/electronics, some chores were difficult, lights weren't available in most of the upstairs and basement, and in general, listening to and refilling the generator got to be very trying. OTOH, it gave me a lot more appreciation for people who have gone through the aftermath of hurricanes and been out for much longer.

About 3.5 days after Floyd ...back around 98 or 99 I guess.... Floyd left a ton of blow downs in the eastern Catskills area - huge job for our hike club cutting trees off the trails as I recall. Irene was by far more catastrophic due to the flooding, but Floyd did the worst wind damage of any tropical system in ENY over the last 30 years certainly. Gloria and Bob were too far east for serious damage.

March 12-13, 2010 Nor'easter....

4 and half days.

For the October 2011, it was 3 days.

Bliz 78 we were wout power for like a week.

After that it was likely gloria which was for several days.

In taunton we've never lost the power for more than a day.

Really, out for a week in '78? I only remember a few days. I will ask my older siblings and mom.

We had a wood stove and were so busy shoveling I can't recall.

Also, we only lost it for a little while for Gloria on Villa Drive.

This year, my brother (in Foxboro) lost it for 5 days for Irene and the Oct snow

8 days Oct 2011.....we borrowed in laws 7500 watt generic and had it wired into the panel....we also have gas water heater and stove so we never were without hot water or ability to cook.....we have a little one who needs breathing treatments so that generator was key and big enough to make it comfortable and get the furnace running....it sucked at the time but the memory and experience well worth it....went through like 60 or 70 gallons of gas and I'll never forget the lines in Hartford to get gas the first night....either the stations had no power or were out....

7 days...October snowstorm..it was awful and the snowstorm was awful and impossible for me and many others to enjoy. I hoped in my life i would see a once in a life time snow event but I NEVER IN MY WILDEST DREAMS imagined this would be it. I really had more in mind a 25 to 35 inch snowstorm/blizzard duirng the winter that one could relish from inside the house with heat and power and the only big deal would be shoveling the stuff.

I still have never seen a snowstorm of more than 20 inches on the level where I was old enough to really enjoy and track it.

7 days...October snowstorm..it was awful and the snowstorm was awful and impossible for me and many others to enjoy. I hoped in my life i would see a once in a life time snow event but I NEVER IN MY WILDEST DREAMS imagined this would be it. I really had more in mind a 25 to 35 inch snowstorm/blizzard duirng the winter that one could relish from inside the house with heat and power and the only big deal would be shoveling the stuff.

I still have never seen a snowstorm of more than 20 inches on the level where I was old enough to really enjoy and track it.

We went to Bright Nights a couple of weeks ago. Did not realize Springfield had an area like that. Impressive

Archived