SnowHabit
New AWOS Metar Sites Now Available / Site ID Change

5W8 - Siler City NC

6A2 - Griffin GA

D25 - Manitowish Waters WI

IIY - Washington GA

JRB - New York City/Wall Street NY

DXZ changed to SGU - St George UT

Is the data from JRB accessible? I had no idea there was going to be another obs site (AWOS) in NYC. I am assuming this at the heliport?

5W8 - Siler City NC

6A2 - Griffin GA

D25 - Manitowish Waters WI

IIY - Washington GA

JRB - New York City/Wall Street NY

DXZ changed to SGU - St George UT

Is there a METAR code for bull****?

Seriously though, I have to question the necessity of another observing site in the New York area when you already have NYC, LGA, JFK, EWR right there and I can't remember all the suburban ones like Teterboro and Westchester and Long Island.

Is the goal to find a site that isn't always affected by some particular weather? For instance, EWR runs hot because of the NJTP and runways, JFK runs cool if there's a seabreeze, etc...?

Seriously though, I have to question the necessity of another observing site in the New York area when you already have NYC, LGA, JFK, EWR right there and I can't remember all the suburban ones like Teterboro and Westchester and Long Island.

Is the goal to find a site that isn't always affected by some particular weather? For instance, EWR runs hot because of the NJTP and runways, JFK runs cool if there's a seabreeze, etc...?

If someone wants to pay to put it in, then good for them. The more data the merrier!

As I recall, JRB AWOS has been there for years. Its just now that the owner decided to get it hooked up to NOAAPort. (though I haven't been able to find its obs on-line just yet)

Remember, these are aviation weather sites. If they need obs to land/take-off, and if the money is available, they put in a station. Its completely unrelated to all the points you mentioned above.

And, its not a climate station. Its just an AWOS, which only in rare circumstances (i.e., the middle of nowhere like out here ;) ) is used for climate data. Generally, only ASOS is used for climate data.

JRB is essentially NYC's version of LOM in Philly.

As I recall, JRB AWOS has been there for years. Its just now that the owner decided to get it hooked up to NOAAPort. (though I haven't been able to find its obs on-line just yet)

Remember, these are aviation weather sites. If they need obs to land/take-off, and if the money is available, they put in a station. Its completely unrelated to all the points you mentioned above.

And, its not a climate station. Its just an AWOS, which only in rare circumstances (i.e., the middle of nowhere like out here ;) ) is used for climate data. Generally, only ASOS is used for climate data.

Oh ok, it sounded to me like they were physically adding a new station.

Still though, I can't imagine the obs being that different from EWR or JFK. But I guess, like you said, if the money is there...

Oh ok, it sounded to me like they were physically adding a new station.

Still though, I can't imagine the obs being that different from EWR or JFK. But I guess, like you said, if the money is there...

I don't know if this is the case at JRB, but airports with commercial aviation are required to have weather observations on-site. Otherwise, they can't land. If, for example, the ASOS at Elko Airport is out for some reason, they turn the planes around and send them back to Salt Lake City.

A number of small heliports have AWOS units. Size of the landing site, where it is, or who owns it does not matter.

As has been said, if the owner of the AWOS unit has the $$ and wants it on NADIN, they go to one of the NADIN

vendors and it gets added to NADIN. In turn that routes it to WMCSR and then to NOAAPort. As it stands now there

are well over 500 AWOS units across the U.S. that we do not see Metars for b/c they do not have NADIN service.

New sites are being installed all the time. All these sites are non-federal, so the NWS/FAA has nothing to do with them

as to supplying the funding for NADIN service. It is up to the owners of the AWOS, which can be a city, state, DOT,

private individual, etc, if they want it on NADIN.

This medical heliport in Houston had been on NADIN for a few years now:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/38TE

Since codes like these are not allowed have Metar data, a code of KMCJ was assign to the site

so Metars could be sent. Interesting thing about this AWOS is that it continued to report during Hurricane

Ike as it is on the hospital's backup generator, while most other sites in the Houston area stopped reporting.

Here is another example, this time a resort airport: In this case, the code was officially changed to KDZB for

Metar transmission.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDZB

KJRB for some reason is not showing up on weather.noaa.gov or the FAA ADDS site, but does have NADIN service

as I see it on a non-public data feed. I am checking with the FAA on this. No reason why it should not be on web

or on NOAAPort.

I have been receiving obs from that site for many years via voice phone (212-425-1534) as I lived 2 blocks away on Wall Street and am still downtown. I would love to be able to get the data as a standard METAR. The anemometer (which was an aerovane) was right at the heliport ground level which is raised somewhat from the East River, but definitely not 10 meters. There was also a Davis Vantage Pro 2 right next to it. I haven't been over there in awhile, but next time I do, I will check and see if there is any new/additional equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived